Plot:
Published 2 months ago by Lyn

1.0 out of 5 stars How can it get this bad!!!
This pilot and half the first episode was an indication of how bad some series can be.
Published 10 hours ago by Rusty

5.0 out of 5 stars The 100 was one of those unexpected surprises that I totally loved. I assumed it would be full of flat, 5 May 2015
Lyn (London, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Plot:
After nuclear war, humans escape to space, but due to technical difficulties, the space station can no longer produce enough oxygen. And so, in a world with limited resources, and where you are sentenced to death by airlock for the smallest crime, imprisoned children waiting for their 18th birthdays (and execution), are sent to Earth to see if Earth is again liveable. The hardships they face are many, and they must all work together to find food, shelter, and protect themselves from all kinds of dangers.

At the end of the series they have grown stronger, more mature, and you can't help but have sympathy for even those characters that were obnoxious at the start of the series, as they too have lost so much.

The 100 was one of those unexpected surprises that I totally loved. I assumed it would be full of flat, shallow characters that are young and pretty, but instead, the characters are multi-dimensional, they feel pain and fear, they don't always have perfect hair and make-up, but most importantly, they grow. A LOT!

There might be a lot of young adults in the series, but their characters truly mature during the first season.

I would say this is far better than Vampire Diaries (another YA targeted series), and can highly recommend it to mature audiences.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant show I would definitely recommend, 26 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The 100 - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
When I saw the advert on TV for this I wasn't sure but I decided to watch it and i'm so glad I did. It is set post apocalypse where some people are living on a large ship in space and they believe they are the only ones left, then 100 prisoners are sent down to earth to see if it is habitable and they find out that they are not the only survivors. Even though I am not familiar with many of the actors in this they all play their characters really well. Its a really gripping TV show and will have you on the edge of your seat anticipating what is going to happen next. Because of this I had to buy the DVD and I would recommend that others do, even if you didn't watch it when it was on TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars The 100 review, 6 April 2015
Okay where to start..... This show is great from the get go if you can get past the young cast. The story is epic and draws me in wanting to find out more, while at the same time keeping me on the edge of my sit. You are made to hate some of the characters, but after you get to know them you start think that maybe there not that bad, or you final get told the whole story about them and there past, as all 100 are or should I say were criminals, that were sent down to earth after 97 years of what they thought was a radioactive earth due to a nuclear war. I would also like to add that if you enjoy game of thrones, then you may like this as you don't know who's next to die or maybe the walking dead would be a better comparison. either way I enjoy watching the 100, and have been informed that it gets even better. Only reason I gave it a 4, and not a 5 is due to the young cast. would be nice to see some older people staring in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taylor) among the cast but I continued watching purely because the series was brilliant. The concept was akin to a futuristic "L, 30 April 2015
I'm quite the sucker for futuristic/apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic films and television series - anything, in fact, that take us right up to the end of time and shows us what its writers envisage is going to happen. Huge Aussie soap fan that I am, initially I was also watching because I recognised one or two Australian faces (Morley, Taylor) among the cast but I continued watching purely because the series was brilliant. The concept was akin to a futuristic "Lord of the Flies" in many ways, youngsters alone in unfamiliar surroundings, with not an adult in sight, left to fend for themselves, but with more of a scientific/futuristic twist to it. I loved it. I watched the whole series back to back over two days in preparation for the start of the second season - once I started, I couldn't stop!

4.0 out of 5 stars good but season 2 is brilliant, 17 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The 100 - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Certainly worth the watch at the very least to set the context for watching season 2 which is beyond amazingly good. Begins in a template of a dystopia future that we've seen a millions of time before, but ends as a very unique show.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 100 is a must-watch for anyone who like action/adventure/scifi/fantasy., 16 May 2015
This is one of my favourite shows. Plenty of action, excellent character development, and diverse characters (more so in the second season which I hope Amazon add now that it's aired in the UK). Enough ongoing story arcs and suspense to keep you interested but not so drawn out that you get frustrated waiting for answers. Also, it has less episodes per series than a typical American TV show so there's less filler and more substantial content. I've just rewatched the first series and enjoyed it just as much the second time around (apart from a few scenes that became infinitely more frustrating because this time I know what happens because of them!)

The 100 is a must-watch for anyone who likes action/adventure/scifi/fantasy.

1.0 out of 5 stars How can it get this bad!!!, 6 July 2015
You have just been transported from a space station back to Earth many years after a global nuclear holcaust. It may well be that if you survive the re entry and Earths radiation levels are now low enough for you not to die when you open the hatch that you can all start a new life away from your space station that is slowly shutting down anyway. Seems like a good plot but we now find ourselves being subjected to the childish and very immature in fighting and leadership battles while the rest of the cast stand around like a load of lemons! This is just another load of tosh and let's face it there is already plenty of that on TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best shows on TV, 27 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The 100 - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
This is, quite honestly, one of the best TV series I have ever seen. I don't say that lightly, considering the amount of television that I have watched over the years. I have a few reasons behind such a bold claim.

Firstly, I must talk about the characters. Admittedly, I didn't have much interest in this show because I thought it would be full of the beautiful yet bland characters that are abundant on the CW network nowadays. Instead, The 100 is full of diverse and complex characters. I would like to point out that the majority of the characters are either people of colour, women, or both. In a white male dominated industry, I was pleasantly surprised by how diverse the cast is. I don't have exact figures (I have been meaning to note those down) but off the top of my head I can think of exactly three white male main or recurring characters from the first season.

Our leading lady, Clarke, really does lead. Eliza Taylor has a huge presence that jumps out of the screen. She gets better and better as the series progresses, and Clarke has become one of my favourite ladies on TV right now.

Several of the other characters go through incredible storylines and progression, most notably Bellamy Blake, who most fans start off hating only to adore him later on.

The writers certainly know how to make an impact. The show (after the shoddy pilot episode) is action packed and thrilling, packed with mysteries that need to be solved as the characters discover the new Earth.

There is even an Upstairs/Downstairs type thing going on, which is something that I found absolutely phenomenal in Spartacus due to the intertwined storylines and the impact they have on each other.

I almost wrote the show off after the pilot (which the writers and showrunner admit is not their finest work), but I am more and more glad that I didn't with each new episode and rewatch.

The 100 is a truly fantastic show that many write off since it's not in their usual niche, or due to the fact that it's not on the right network. Science fiction fans will be intrigued, and non-fans won't find the setting too overwhelming. I will be recommending this show to everybody that I speak to because it deserves a larger audience. And people deserve a show like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not a bad watch so far but typical of all US series ..., 2 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The 100 - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Only halfway through season 1. It's not a bad watch so far but typical of all US series in that it's populated almost entirely by beautiful, fit, thin people with perfect white teeth ( I've been to the States, never saw any of them). The action bits are good and reasonably convincing but again it's typical of most recent offerings in that it places a lot emphasis on relationships rather than plot but I suppose this what a younger audience wants?

4.0 out of 5 stars TENSION HIGH WITH TIME RUNNING OUT, 29 Jan. 2015
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The 100 - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
After nearly a century is Earth fit to re-enter? The spaceship containing descendants of the multi-racial survivors releases young offenders from their cells and sends them to find out. These are THE 100, their numbers steadily to diminish.

All would seem set for a "Lord of the Flies" scenario, anarchy to replace any attempts at order. In short, a repeat on a small scale of the circumstances that led to nuclear war and the planet rendered uninhabitable.

On the spaceship itself divisions also abound, with oxygen running out and dissidents planning a takeover bid.

Above and below will commonsense prevail?

Here are interesting ideas and much to intrigue - provided not too many questions are asked. This is one of those shows where those so inclined will find much to mock. Examples? Attempts at realism are undermined by all the ultra-white teeth. Males seemingly never need to shave (no sign of stubble even after many days in the wild). There are awesomely quick recoveries from serious injuries. Distinctive faces appear for the first time after several episodes simply to be killed off rather horribly.

Like most viewers, I preferred to relax and enjoy exciting escapism. Tension is increased from the start by deaths of seemingly key characters. If they could so quickly go, then what about Clarke, Finn, Bellamy and his sister Octavia? Nothing can be taken for granted, especially when THE 100 discover they are not alone....

Yes, guilty pleasure time!

Much excitement, all the stops pulled out for a spectacular two-part finale. (Actually aspects of the climax may baffle, even when viewed a second time complete with commentary.)

13 episodes. Modest bonuses.

Curiously the show seems aimed at teenagers with so many of the cast presumably in that age group, yet has an 18 rating. Why? Language is moderate; there is no nudity (and only modest romance); the violence and gory moments are no more than those experienced elsewhere by addicts of the genre.

A second season? Fans can hardly wait.

The 100 - Season 1 [DVD] [2014]
The 100 - Season 1 [DVD] [2014] by Eliza Taylor (DVD - 2014)