Vax Gator Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner H86-GA-B
Package Quantity: 1Style Name: White / OrangeChange
Price:£34.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 15 October 2014
I received this cleaner and did not hesitate to get it out the box and get it on charge as I desperate to see if this would live up to the claims Vax make. I charged the unit for a full 24 hours and then got to the cleaning. I have pets and they make a lot of mess, I mean a lot of mess. Food pellets and bedding everywhere. I also have a lot of stairs in my house which tend to get dirty very quickly. I need a handheld as the big vacuum is too big to sit on the stairs and the hose is to short to reach the top. I first went to work on the pets mess. The Gator gobbled up all of the food pellets and made light work of the very heavy bedding mess. I was really impressed as I have owned many handhelds and none them have been able to pick up the relatively large and quite weighty chunks of bedding but the Gator did! The Gator passed the pet test but what about stairs. Well the stairs had quite a lot of mud on them with it being Autumn and lots of polystyrene bits from some flat pack furniture I had unboxed the previous day. The other handhelds would just blow light particles away. The mud would normally just fall out the minute I turned the unit off but no the Gators strong suction dealt with the particles no problem.

The Gator has a clever design where the dirt is transferred up the top of the bin and dropped into the bin from the top like a lot of cylinder vacuum cleaners. This design means the contents of the dustbin doesn't drop out of the front of the cleaner when you lift it up which is a common problem for a lot of handhelds. The Gator is well balanced in the hand and the on and off switch is nice and easy to access and use. The cleaner features a 10.8 volt Battery and the manual states a 15 minute run time although in my experience I have been getting closer to 18-19 minutes. The unit has no accessories because the crevice tool is built into the front of the unit. This has a bit of a drawback though as that means there is no dusting brush which is an attachment I did use quite frequently. Maybe that's something to think about for the next generation of Gators?

Pro's- - It is powerful - It has a decent run time - It has an easy empty dust bin - It is fairly quiet

Con's- - No dusting brush
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Package Quantity: 1Style Name: White / OrangeVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I spotted the Gator on Vine whilst I was actually on the lookout for a car vacuum cleaner. The description did mention 'Built in crevice tools for cleaning difficult, hard to reach areas', so that indicated it maybe up to the task.
It turns out the Gator is ok in the car but the crevice tool is kinda pathetic and reaching in between the front seats (where the coins always go...) is a no-go. The main footwells and seats all get a good clean however. The vacuum is pretty strong for a 10.8V device.
Around the home, it's more adept . I'm a messy eater and the Gator has been tested on cake, peas, breadcrumbs and poppadum to name a few. All get scooped up efficiently from carpet.
Battery life is normal for one of these cleaners. I've not run out of juice yet. It says 8mins and 8 mins is surprisingly long when you think about it. I can do the car, no problem. Small jobs around the house (for what it was intended), 8 mins is more than enough. just pop it back on charge after and life is good.
The hardware itself is well built. The front cavity is very cool actually! Press two side buttons in and up pops the bonnet, allowing the detritus to fallout into your bin. When the filter needs a clean, another button fully releases the entire frontend. It's all a very neat system. I dare say that if it were used in a pub, it may even impress the girls?
All in all, it deserves a place in the home. I would like to see the crevice thingy improved in version 2.0.

Weight: 1.2Kg
Length: 35cm / 14"
Width: 12.5cm / 5"
Height: 14cm / 5.5"
on 28 May 2015
Awesome little sucker - I use it to suck up pet hair and spilled seed mix. My pets hide that stuff everywhere, so this is great for getting into drawers, behind furniture etc.

Not sure if you can buy replacement filters - I haven't needed to yet as I just scrape the original one and occasionally give it a wash. I'm sure it won't last forever, but it's going ok for 6 months.

Sometimes larger items (e.g. plant leaves, or unused tampax that my pets like to rip from their packages and gut) get stuck in the nozzle, and this will also happen if you fill the reservoir completely during a larger cleanup operation.

Ideal for bedrooms, cars, spot cleaning etc. Could be improved with a brush attachment as you could then use it for keyboards and computers etc. Suction is very good (until 75% full) and battery is ok.
on 22 August 2015
The Vax Gator is a surprisingly powerful handheld vacuum cleaner and perfect for my small one bedroom flat. I have wooden floors in most of the flat so this handheld vacuum is ideal to pick up bits of dust around the flat, or having just done some sweeping up.

It's by no means a replacement for a full size vacuum cleaner, but it serves a great purpose and is ideal for getting the odd bits of dust and fluff around the house.

My only concern would that over time I expect the suction power to decrease. In order to empty the cleaner, the body pops up and you empty it into the bin, but dust gets stuck to the fabric filter inside the vacuum. I try and pick as much out as possible, but inevitably some will remain. To be honest, despite it looking like the filter is full of dust, the suction is still fantastic, so it may not be an issue. I have looked online and replacement filters do exist if required.

All in all, this is a perfect sidekick to any full size vacuum cleaner and ideal for picking up the odd bits of dust and fluff.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This arrived well-packed and in excellent condition.
After its initial charge, I tried it out and it has quite a powerful suction, better than my previous one which was a lower power level. The built-in crevice tool is very useful, and slides in and out easily.
The handle has an open end, which I find less useful than my previous one, which had a closed end, but that is just a personal preference, it doesn't affect the use of the vacuum.
It holds its charge well and the power does not seem to tail off until its just about run out of charge.
I am very pleased with it and recommend this product if you are looking for a reasonably-priced, sturdy, quite powerful hand-held.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Really pleased with this vacuum. It's light, efficient and very effective at picking up dirt.
I've tried a few similar products and this is by far the best. It's great for hoovering my stair carpets!
Great item.
on 24 August 2015
I've had my mini hoover for about a month and overall quite happy with it. I already have a hoover for the main house-work and bought the hand-held just for small cleaning jobs. It is just fine for picking up chocolate biscuit crumbs of the leather sofa and off the coffee table and off the kitchen floor and from my computer desk. I wouldn't dream of eating chocolate biscuits in the bathroom but it works fine collecting stray hairs and dead flies of the window sill.
I mainly have wooden or tiled floors but it does work on carpets but I only use it for the odd few crumbs, I wouldn't attempt to clean a whole carpet with it, no more then try to cut the lawn with a pair of scissors.
I checked with VAX and they said it was Ok to keep the machine on trickle charge (permanently plugged in to the mains when not in use) so it is always ready. Just occasionally run it flat. It doesn't come with a wall bracket (minus half star) and having checked on Google, all I could find was a design for 3D printing. Still it was no big deal to put a small shelve in the cupboard and fit a socket. I can go around every room and do a little vac-ing well before the battery drops and so far not had it die on me.
This model does have a pull out crevice tool but it is of limited use. It does help in slightly smaller spaces but if for example you try to push it down between sofa cushions (to remove chocolate biscuit crumbs) it will slide back (minus half star) but with care you can work it into smaller spaces.
So far the VAX has been powerful enough to pick up all bits of the garden that follow me into the kitchen and detritus off the floor and even managed to overpower a small fly in full flight.
I did take the time to fill in the on-line 2 year guarantee just in case so we shall see how we get on but so far so good.
ps. My local Tuffins store sells the genuine chocolate digestives a 2 packets for a £1 - be daft not to stock up!
on 23 June 2014
I have used this in our caravan when we are away & it does a good job; the suction seems quite powerful. My only criticism is it doesn't seem to work for very long after charge, but may be that is my fault & I haven't been charging it long enough, but I would recommend it .
on 8 January 2015
Smart looking and does what it says but takes a long time to recharge and quickly loses its power Look for a similar product that has an extended life or is quick to charge is my recommendation unless Vax improves this one!
on 1 August 2014
pretty good hand vac I had a stroke and heavy vacs are a problem I can now do the stairs with this and pick up any odd bits with this....worth buying,easy to empty the dust out as well.