on 15 October 2014
I received this cleaner and did not hesitate to get it out the box and get it on charge as I desperate to see if this would live up to the claims Vax make. I charged the unit for a full 24 hours and then got to the cleaning. I have pets and they make a lot of mess, I mean a lot of mess. Food pellets and bedding everywhere. I also have a lot of stairs in my house which tend to get dirty very quickly. I need a handheld as the big vacuum is too big to sit on the stairs and the hose is to short to reach the top. I first went to work on the pets mess. The Gator gobbled up all of the food pellets and made light work of the very heavy bedding mess. I was really impressed as I have owned many handhelds and none them have been able to pick up the relatively large and quite weighty chunks of bedding but the Gator did! The Gator passed the pet test but what about stairs. Well the stairs had quite a lot of mud on them with it being Autumn and lots of polystyrene bits from some flat pack furniture I had unboxed the previous day. The other handhelds would just blow light particles away. The mud would normally just fall out the minute I turned the unit off but no the Gators strong suction dealt with the particles no problem.

The Gator has a clever design where the dirt is transferred up the top of the bin and dropped into the bin from the top like a lot of cylinder vacuum cleaners. This design means the contents of the dustbin doesn't drop out of the front of the cleaner when you lift it up which is a common problem for a lot of handhelds. The Gator is well balanced in the hand and the on and off switch is nice and easy to access and use. The cleaner features a 10.8 volt Battery and the manual states a 15 minute run time although in my experience I have been getting closer to 18-19 minutes. The unit has no accessories because the crevice tool is built into the front of the unit. This has a bit of a drawback though as that means there is no dusting brush which is an attachment I did use quite frequently. Maybe that's something to think about for the next generation of Gators?

Pro's- - It is powerful - It has a decent run time - It has an easy empty dust bin - It is fairly quiet

Con's- - No dusting brush
11 comment291 of 299 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I spotted the Gator on Vine whilst I was actually on the lookout for a car vacuum cleaner. The description did mention 'Built in crevice tools for cleaning difficult, hard to reach areas', so that indicated it maybe up to the task.
It turns out the Gator is ok in the car but the crevice tool is kinda pathetic and reaching in between the front seats (where the coins always go...) is a no-go. The main footwells and seats all get a good clean however. The vacuum is pretty strong for a 10.8V device.
Around the home, it's more adept . I'm a messy eater and the Gator has been tested on cake, peas, breadcrumbs and poppadum to name a few. All get scooped up efficiently from carpet.
Battery life is normal for one of these cleaners. I've not run out of juice yet. It says 8mins and 8 mins is surprisingly long when you think about it. I can do the car, no problem. Small jobs around the house (for what it was intended), 8 mins is more than enough. just pop it back on charge after and life is good.
The hardware itself is well built. The front cavity is very cool actually! Press two side buttons in and up pops the bonnet, allowing the detritus to fallout into your bin. When the filter needs a clean, another button fully releases the entire frontend. It's all a very neat system. I dare say that if it were used in a pub, it may even impress the girls?
All in all, it deserves a place in the home. I would like to see the crevice thingy improved in version 2.0.

Weight: 1.2Kg
Length: 35cm / 14"
Width: 12.5cm / 5"
Height: 14cm / 5.5"
0Comment154 of 159 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 May 2015
Awesome little sucker - I use it to suck up pet hair and spilled seed mix. My pets hide that stuff everywhere, so this is great for getting into drawers, behind furniture etc.

Not sure if you can buy replacement filters - I haven't needed to yet as I just scrape the original one and occasionally give it a wash. I'm sure it won't last forever, but it's going ok for 6 months.

Sometimes larger items (e.g. plant leaves, or unused tampax that my pets like to rip from their packages and gut) get stuck in the nozzle, and this will also happen if you fill the reservoir completely during a larger cleanup operation.

Ideal for bedrooms, cars, spot cleaning etc. Could be improved with a brush attachment as you could then use it for keyboards and computers etc. Suction is very good (until 75% full) and battery is ok.
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2015
I read the reviews of this item and was fooled! Poor suctioning and the filter needs to be constantly cleared. Currently trying to find a better product to clean my car with.
on 18 July 2015
Awful waste of my hard earnt cash.Just a few months old and has lost its power(although not much to start with ) After powering up it sucks okay then less than 15 seconds later it starts to die down and suction is then pathetic. I regularly emptied the vac and cleaned it weekly but this made no difference .I'm very disappointed in this product and ended up throwing it in the bin . £25 down the drain .I'm gutted .
22 comments5 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 2 June 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Really pleased with this vacuum. It's light, efficient and very effective at picking up dirt.
I've tried a few similar products and this is by far the best. It's great for hoovering my stair carpets!
Great item.
0Comment51 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This arrived well-packed and in excellent condition.
After its initial charge, I tried it out and it has quite a powerful suction, better than my previous one which was a lower power level. The built-in crevice tool is very useful, and slides in and out easily.
The handle has an open end, which I find less useful than my previous one, which had a closed end, but that is just a personal preference, it doesn't affect the use of the vacuum.
It holds its charge well and the power does not seem to tail off until its just about run out of charge.
I am very pleased with it and recommend this product if you are looking for a reasonably-priced, sturdy, quite powerful hand-held.
0Comment116 of 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 June 2014
I have used this in our caravan when we are away & it does a good job; the suction seems quite powerful. My only criticism is it doesn't seem to work for very long after charge, but may be that is my fault & I haven't been charging it long enough, but I would recommend it .
0Comment24 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2015
Smart looking and does what it says but takes a long time to recharge and quickly loses its power Look for a similar product that has an extended life or is quick to charge is my recommendation unless Vax improves this one!
on 21 June 2015
My first one was returned after 7 days as it stopped charging. My replacement has worked for 6 weeks and now has the same fault. Amazon are not giving me an option to return the faulty item - So was a total waste of money. DO NOT RECOMMEND.