5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Little Vacuum!
Published 4 months ago by Liam Low

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better
Smart looking and does what it says but takes a long time to recharge and quickly loses its power Look for a similar product that has an extended life or is quick to charge is my recommendation unless Vax improves this one!
Published 1 month ago by JJSRoss

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Little Vacuum!, 15 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Vax H86-GA-B Gator Handheld Vacuum Cleaner, 0.3 L, White and Orange (Kitchen & Home)
I received this cleaner and did not hesitate to get it out the box and get it on charge as I desperate to see if this would live up to the claims Vax make. I charged the unit for a full 24 hours and then got to the cleaning. I have pets and they make a lot of mess, I mean a lot of mess. Food pellets and bedding everywhere. I also have a lot of stairs in my house which tend to get dirty very quickly. I need a handheld as the big vacuum is too big to sit on the stairs and the hose is to short to reach the top. I first went to work on the pets mess. The Gator gobbled up all of the food pellets and made light work of the very heavy bedding mess. I was really impressed as I have owned many handhelds and none them have been able to pick up the relatively large and quite weighty chunks of bedding but the Gator did! The Gator passed the pet test but what about stairs. Well the stairs had quite a lot of mud on them with it being Autumn and lots of polystyrene bits from some flat pack furniture I had unboxed the previous day. The other handhelds would just blow light particles away. The mud would normally just fall out the minute I turned the unit off but no the Gators strong suction dealt with the particles no problem.

The Gator has a clever design where the dirt is transferred up the top of the bin and dropped into the bin from the top like a lot of cylinder vacuum cleaners. This design means the contents of the dustbin doesn't drop out of the front of the cleaner when you lift it up which is a common problem for a lot of handhelds. The Gator is well balanced in the hand and the on and off switch is nice and easy to access and use. The cleaner features a 10.8 volt Battery and the manual states a 15 minute run time although in my experience I have been getting closer to 18-19 minutes. The unit has no accessories because the crevice tool is built into the front of the unit. This has a bit of a drawback though as that means there is no dusting brush which is an attachment I did use quite frequently. Maybe that's something to think about for the next generation of Gators?

Pro's- - It is powerful - It has a decent run time - It has an easy empty dust bin - It is fairly quiet

Con's- - No dusting brush

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful little scamp!, 19 Jun. 2014
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I spotted the Gator on Vine whilst I was actually on the lookout for a car vacuum cleaner. The description did mention 'Built in crevice tools for cleaning difficult, hard to reach areas', so that indicated it maybe up to the task.
It turns out the Gator is ok in the car but the crevice tool is kinda pathetic and reaching in between the front seats (where the coins always go...) is a no-go. The main footwells and seats all get a good clean however. The vacuum is pretty strong for a 10.8V device.
Around the home, it's more adept . I'm a messy eater and the Gator has been tested on cake, peas, breadcrumbs and poppadum to name a few. All get scooped up efficiently from carpet.
Battery life is normal for one of these cleaners. I've not run out of juice yet. It says 8mins and 8 mins is surprisingly long when you think about it. I can do the car, no problem. Small jobs around the house (for what it was intended), 8 mins is more than enough. just pop it back on charge after and life is good.
The hardware itself is well built. The front cavity is very cool actually! Press two side buttons in and up pops the bonnet, allowing the detritus to fallout into your bin. When the filter needs a clean, another button fully releases the entire frontend. It's all a very neat system. I dare say that if it were used in a pub, it may even impress the girls?
All in all, it deserves a place in the home. I would like to see the crevice thingy improved in version 2.0.

Weight: 1.2Kg
Length: 35cm / 14"
Width: 12.5cm / 5"
Height: 14cm / 5.5"

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical product, 24 April 2014
bookworm8 "bookworm8" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This arrived well-packed and in excellent condition.
After its initial charge, I tried it out and it has quite a powerful suction, better than my previous one which was a lower power level. The built-in crevice tool is very useful, and slides in and out easily.
The handle has an open end, which I find less useful than my previous one, which had a closed end, but that is just a personal preference, it doesn't affect the use of the vacuum.
It holds its charge well and the power does not seem to tail off until its just about run out of charge.
I am very pleased with it and recommend this product if you are looking for a reasonably-priced, sturdy, quite powerful hand-held.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little gadget and worth buying at the current discounted price., 17 Feb. 2015
JK "J. K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Decent little vacuum that's light enough (approx. 1.5 kg boxed weight) to comfortably move around and there's no long cable to trip you up. The downside of the cordless design is a short battery life, approx 13 - 18 minutes, and the vacuum certainly loses power as the battery runs down. A bonus is the internal storage space for the crevice tool which just pulls out of the front so there's no hose to curl up and put away. There are no additional attachments with this model. In general the vacuum works well over short periods of time on small jobs such as cleaning under cushions on the sofa or getting rid of dust and bits and pieces from off curtains. Powerful enough to clear up spills and certainly handy when the grandchildren visit!. The crevice tool isn't great for getting into corners though and I still use a traditional duster for that purpose. This model isn't wall mounted which is my real 'niggle'. The Vax has a chunky handle which is easy to grip and it's easy to empty without leaving any mess. I didn't buy the Vax. My husband saw it on offer and bought it to replace our old model that was falling apart. For the reduced price, almost half price when he bought it, I think it's value for money and I like it at this price. Had I paid the full price I think I'd have been less positive because it's a little bit basic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best handheld vacuum I've tried, 2 Jun. 2014
J. Leckie "jayne2904" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really pleased with this vacuum. It's light, efficient and very effective at picking up dirt.
I've tried a few similar products and this is by far the best. It's great for hoovering my stair carpets!
Great item.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 8 Jan. 2015

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy with this, 23 Jun. 2014
I have used this in our caravan when we are away & it does a good job; the suction seems quite powerful. My only criticism is it doesn't seem to work for very long after charge, but may be that is my fault & I haven't been charging it long enough, but I would recommend it .

4.0 out of 5 stars Mini Vax., 14 May 2014
A quality product thats easy to use and does a good job. It can be used anywhere, very versatile. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gator aid, 17 Oct. 2014
Alien937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I've been pleasantly surprised by this vacuum cleaner. It's not as effective as an ordinary vacuum cleaner, but you can't really expect it to be since it doesn't have a rotating brush to agitate dirt out of carpets or fabrics. Even so, it's good enough for small, quick clean up jobs and vacuuming the car, and its charge easily lasts long enough for what you'd use it for (though you do need to go through a few recharging cycles before the battery's capacity gets up to speed).

The main thing I dislike about this vacuum is the crevice tool that pulls out of the front. Pulling it out is fine, but pushing it back in is more problematic, and there are sharpish edges that you can catch your hands on. I've already cut my hand once on it, though I guess it's a relatively minor thing; you just have to learn to take a bit of care with that part of the device.

4.0 out of 5 stars pretty hot, 4 May 2014
Recycled Rabbit (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm most impressed with this powerful beastie. I still haven't run out of charge in a fraught week (plague of hamsters which need constant cleaning). It has an extendable tube. However this is no different to other designs such as the ryobi. It's drawback is of course the bespoke charging lead which has to be carefully stored (can't think where it's got to at the moment....argh).