4.0 out of 5 stars My first experience with a Chromebook.
I'll start with the pros and cons before my life story with the Toshiba

Pros
Very good keyboard
Excellent battery life
Awesome download speeds (both via internet and local file transfer via wifi)
Very Low Heat resulting in silent operation. (Literally silent)
Secure -- Browse the entire web (trusted sites) with no worries about key...
Published 5 months ago by Ahwaiz Mohammed

3.0 out of 5 stars Chromebook is the way to go ... but not with Toshiba
My first experience with a Chromebook and must say it has exceeded my expectations. That said, Toshiba has miserably failed on quality. The machine fields plasticy and flimsy, the mouse pad tends to get stuck when pressed which made me resort to purchasing a Bluetooth mouse. Further, unbelievably the screws on the bottom literally fall off on their own, and now I have 2...
Published 28 days ago by Ahmed A.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 59 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Chromebook, 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: Toshiba Chromebook 13.3-inch Chromebook (Intel Celeron 2955U 1.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, Google Chrome OS) - Silver (Personal Computers)
We bought the Toshiba Chromebook for my elderly Mother-in-law, when her Simplicity laptop proved to be an overpriced pile of unreliable rubbish. This laptop was the complete opposite; well made, lovely clear graphics and, just what my Mother-in-law needed, it was very easy to use.
It took me less than 20 minutes to set it up from the box for her, including linking it to her Wi-Fi. My Mother-in-law really struggles with even the most basic technology. However, with this Chromebook she is able to open it and be accessing her google mail straightaway as well as access her photo albums and talk to her friends and relatives and go shopping online without any fuss. Even better; she does not have to worry about updating the system or carrying out any technical changes, everything was ready to go for her.
I was so impressed with this laptop I have ordered one for my home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a great budget chrome laptop!, 27 Mar 2014
Its not easy choosing a laptop with a budget, I could have purchased a more powerful secondhand laptop than this! But why? I was just curious and didn't have much of a budget Its great for my uses: internet, movies streaming, and some word processing. Its light, and for the price is great! Its fast, but too many windows/tabs can slow it down. Pictures are great, viewing angle not great, but for the price its ok. I think of it as a backup/internet/travelling laptop. If you lose it or break it, it won't feel so bad as its easily replaceable. I got mine from John Lewis with 2 years warranty(great!!!). Its just an internet google chromebook. It does whats needed and abit more. Its designed for light use, and is very light. and I can use it at starbucks etc with no problems. and at the library. It does the job as required. Its not a top end laptop, and for the price you can't go wrong. Its designed for light use! Not for games, graphic intensive 3D programs or movie production etc. Just for the simple tasks which 80% of us use it for. 5/5. I'm happy!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Chromebook?, 13 Feb 2014
If you're looking for a new laptop for e-mails, browsing & watching videos and everyday general use, then this comes highly recommended.

Great screen, fast and responsive, user friendly. Battery life is fantastic, runs cool - passive cooling so quiet as a mouse.

I'm very impressed, so much so that I've bought one for myself after buying one for my wife as a gift yesterday.

Benchmarked it against my 2 year old laptop running Linux (which was no slouch) and it is twice as fast. You really can't go wrong for the money. So glad I opted for this rather than a tablet, well done Toshiba.

UPDATE:

Toshiba seem to have quality control problems with this laptop. My chromebook arrived and the mousepad was unresponsive with the charger connected. OK, no problem, replacement ordered by Amazon's great customer service as per normal.

Replacement arrives 3 days later only to have exactly the same fault on the mousepad. Someone needs their head knocking at Toshiba. Therefore, I cannot recommend this laptop as I've given up and requested a refund. If you're luckier and get a working one then it's still a cracking buy, but is the quality there?

Downgraded my review from 5-stars to 3-stars, which I think is fair.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by the screen, 12 Feb 2014
Gledders (Chelmsford, UK) - See all my reviews
Hmm well as it looks like I am the first person to review this, then I will do my best to be thorough.

Upon unboxing I was impressed by how light and compact it was.

Merely opening the screen switched it on and it came straight to the software update page.

2 minutes later the software was up to date, it had no trouble connecting to my Apple AirPort Extreme.

I am somewhat annoyed by the screen. It is pale and washed out when using the browser, which is odd because the wallpaper itself looks bright and breezy.

I admit that I bought this as an impulse buy, I didn't need it and am used to my MacBook Pro.

The webapps seems sluggish but after a little use they seem to get a bit quicker, perhaps that is due to loading images into the cache?

Build:
As mentioned it is surprisingly light. The layout reminds of the MacBook Air. It is plastic but you'd be forgiven for thinking that it is aluminium. Trackpad is responsive and I changed the settings for scroll so that the screen goes in the direction I want.

I have downloaded several apps for it, including the offline app for Gmail. Seems to work fine.

Initial thoughts were that it is idea for travel as long as you have access to the net. I use a portable wifi when I work abroad and I have no doubt that this will be fine with this device.

Video playback seems fine on youtube. But screen clarity really seems poor.

I wouldn't say I regret buying it as it is for travel purposes. Lets put it this way, If I lost my MacBook I would cry.... If I lost this, I'd be glad I didn't lose my MacBook :-)

Battery, I have used it for an hour now whilst I explore and it hasn't dropped from the 50% I had when I switched it on. Quite impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars This chromebook is fantastic, it connects immediately to the internet, 4 Aug 2014
This chromebook is fantastic, it connects immediately to the internet, is a good size and the display is really vibrant. It has adjustable brightness which is good for typing in the dark. the keys are not at all clicky, so it is quiet whilst typing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Mine Me!!, 25 Feb 2014
N. Roberts - See all my reviews
well happy with it, I got this after my sister had got the acer 11 inch one. I like them both but much prefer the tosh due to the screen size and keyboard. Does everything I want except sky plus!!

Screen is good, not amazing but very good. The laptop weight and portability is perfect. Battery life is supurb and the charger charges it in about an hour and half which I do every few days and I am tied to it all evening. I never used my old laptop much on battery as it lasted about and hour and half top, used to drive me mad!!

Just get it they are great!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for web browsing, 2 Aug 2014
Had a few weeks now and very pleased with it.

Pros: Battery life is very good. It's quiet. It's feels fast when web browsing. It runs cool. Sound is surprisingly good. Touchpad is good. Keyboard is good. Overall quality is good (apart from the screen). I like the size.

Cons: Mediocre screen - perfectly usable but low res and a bit 'washed out' looking. Bluetooth audio doesn't work well with my Panasonic soundbase - audio quality is very bad. (The problem doesn't occur when running off the mains, so presumably a driver issue - perhaps an update will fix it.) Can't use with my printer. Occasionally inability to run full apps is irritating (e.g. would like to run LibreOffice).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for browsing but beware of trackpad issues, 23 May 2014
D. Pillai "iamazon" (uk) - See all my reviews
This is a good device if you are looking to just browse the internet with fast startup hardware let me down though I have asked for a refund as the trackpad simply stopped working after 3 weeks very disappointing

4.0 out of 5 stars A cheap option to get online., 17 April 2014
Fireball Dragon (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
WHAT IS A CHROMEBOOK?
-It is not a windows PC. It is not a Macintosh. It ‘is’ a computer.
-It has very limited storage capabilities, and stores your documents, etc on the internet (i.e. Google drive; a cloud based storage system)
-Allows you to easily get online (in seconds) and surf the web, check emails, online shopping, etc.

CONSTRUCTION
-The Toshiba Chromebook is sturdy, light and well built (1.5kg).
-It has a silver painted plastic finish.
-Has 2 USB 3.0 stick readers and an SD cad slot.
-A HDMI output is also built-in, which is very handy for presentations.
-The trackpad is large, but a little clicky and rough.
-No backlit keys.

DISPLAY
-This Toshiba model has a low resolution 13.3” display, which is not high definition.
-Easy to read text and documents.
-Will show images clearly, but not as vibrant as more expensive computers.

IS THIS FOR ME?
-This is subjective. Do you like the idea of having a computer that only allows you to do everything online?
-My personal opinion is that the Toshiba Chromebook is ideal for people who just need to quickly get online.
-This cannot replace your windows PC or Macintosh.
-Is a good alternative for people who do not like tablets or need a keyboard.

CONCLUSION
-This is a good Chromebook (although I do prefer the newly released HP Chromebook).
-Will get you set-up and online in minutes after unboxing.
-Is a cheap option for kids or casual browsing.

5.0 out of 5 stars it took me some time as the cromebook works like no other, 31 Aug 2014
I am finding my way through the program's mainly to do with storing my photographs and editing,it took me some time as the cromebook works like no other,I have used macs and PC s . I find the simpler the better I am in my 70s and any easy ways to use any thing are good. You could do with an old age pensioner help button as we are not as computer literate as younger ones with all the jargon put into plain language , and simple ways to find your way around. Other than that I am very happy with my cromebook

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 59 | Next ›