on 14 April 2014
Our church has just done this as our lent course.

It isn't the best, and the themes can seem repetitive, but it is not by any means terrible.

My biggest grip is the vague references to the scenes that need watching! Not helpful, especially if you haven't watched the movie many times!
So to help those who are in the same predicament as I was, here are the timings:

SESSION ONE

Who Am I?
2hours 8min 26sec - 2hours 11min 32sec
2hours 15min 32sec - 2hours 23min 31sec
on 23 February 2014
I came across this book when I was looking for worship songs to play at church and as we had been discussing what to do over lent I decided to give it a go. It was only about £3 by Kindle and I thought it was worth it to see what it is like.
Jonathan writes fluently and clearly, he gives a lot of background to why he thought of this course which I have to admit I skim read a bit (I am only seeing if it is worth bringing to my group to properly study) We've previously enjoyed the Lineage of Grace housegroup resources and I also got a lot out of a lent course based on the Prodigal Son painting at my previous church so I do enjoy looking at the deeper allegorical christian meaning of cultural items. So with that background, what do I think so far? Short answer - really great.

I loved the film and in fact went with a big group from church to watch it at the cinema. I read the book Les Miserables years ago and the Bishop has always stayed in my mind. Jonathan uses each of the main characters as a pathway to assess an aspect of your Christian life i.e. Fantine's fall from grace mirrors our fall from grace, her earlier dreams of a pleasant life filled with love etc reflect how we feel when we first come into this world.
I have read the first three characters/chapters so far: Fantine, the Bishop and Jean Valjean and I will definitely be recommending this to my friends and to my housegroup for this years Lent courses.
For £3 who could go wrong?
on 14 March 2015
Excellent Lent Course - it is written for Group Work - unfortunately for me there is no Lenten Group organised in this Parish, so I am working through it on my own - but it is still an excellent exercise in deep thinking and exploration - an unusual Lenten Course - possibly the best I have ever followed.
on 29 April 2014
Well written, well laid out and guides you through the 5 sessions for a Lent course. It has all the Biblical references and Leaders notes. Yes you still have to do your homework, but this book guides you through it all. I used it in Lent 2014 with a small group and they got such a lot from it.
on 19 May 2014
Great lent study course. Linked with dvd made Home Group more intetesting. Some problems at times queing up scenes as did not know the film well enough. Would suggest future users watch film scenes several times to familiarise yourself with the plot.
on 28 March 2014
Excellent. Lent has been helped by the study of this wonderful story. Love is at the heart of this
Story. The lack of and the presence. Hence our Easter message of a Christ's love for a world
So lacking in love.
on 30 March 2014
but a little too wordy. I suppose this should have been expected as the film is very long. We opted for a different Lent Course which seemed easier to get into and to run.
on 12 April 2014
Difficult to follow with very poor references to place on the DVD. Discussion starters were too prescriptive leaving little room for original thought. A struggle to lead.
on 29 March 2015
This thought-provoking booklet helped our Lent Group gets to grips with issues raised in Victor Hugo's book. One member even read Les Mis - all 950 pages of it, as the film/musical cuts corners. For me, the topic of mercy came out powerfully, sending me to Shakespeare's M of V, Portia's speech: "when mercy ("an attribute to God himself") seasons justice".
on 17 October 2015
Great bible study course, we used this along side the DVD of Les Mes. Loads of material, with themes such as love, redemption, forgiveness etc - the group really enjoyed looking at this. You don't need to have read the book or know the story of Les Miserabes as the writer gives you loads of background to the book - would definitely recommend.