5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A rice cooker just right for a single's home
OK, so I've lived in Japan and visited Korea, where a home is a likely to be without a rice cooker as it is to be without a bathroom. Rice cookers are a way of life in the Far East. But even the smallest ones I could ever find, have a capacity of 6 portions. That makes sense for a family, but if you live on your own ... ?

In the UK, you can get Western made...
Published 5 months ago by Alana

1.0 out of 5 stars Very dissatisfied.
not as expected, low quality made in China, could have bought far superior product at less than 50% of the price,
Published 10 months ago by melvin leeming

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! A rice cooker just right for a single's home, 31 Oct. 2014
Alana (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judge Mini Rice Cooker

In the UK, you can get Western made rice cookers, but they generally are more clunky, less high tech and not up to the Japanese standard. So my expectations were low for this rice cooker. But in reality, its really great.

This rice cooker is really tiny. Its actually freed off part of my worktop. Its the size I've always wanted. It cooks from 1 to 3 portions, where a portion (1 cup) is what an average (non-teenager/sportsman) would eat with their fish/meat. So that's perfect for me, even if I have someone round for a meal. It feels right to use a device this small to cook rice for just one person. I've consigned my big rice cooker to the store room. I'll dig it out again when I'm married with two kids :-)

This device also cooks the rice nicely. I think its as good as my expensive Japanese one. It doesn't have the extra options those cookers had, but I rarely used them anyway. Also, I've a feeling its a few minutes quicker than the bigger ones - well that would make sense, since it has less empty space to heat up. (BTW, I also always fill up with boiling water to shorten the cooking time).

I am very happy with this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only rice cooker to cook half a cup, 22 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Judge Mini Rice Cooker
Excellent little rice cooker suitable for 1 or 2 people. Most rice cookers have a minimum of 1-2 cups of rice but this one allows you to cook half a cup which is great for me as that is more than enough and I don't like eating reheated rice.

I had bought one of these in HK not of the same brand but of a very simple look. This one has a much better build quality and comes with a small rice measuring cup and a rice paddle.

I have used it a couple of times a week for the past few weeks and is has been easy to use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent small rice cooker., 10 Feb. 2015
iPhone user (Perth, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judge Mini Rice Cooker
Excellent small rice cooker that can cook as little as 1/2 cup perfectly. Have tried others in the past - mainly from India that have been poor with water splattering all over the worktop and rice burning at the bottom. The Judge Mini Rice Cooker has a lid that clips in place and so there is no splattering. Very good non stick lining of the bowl makes it easy to clean.
My only criticism is of the instruction book. After a few uses there was rice starch under the gasket in the lid - removed it to clean but struggled to get it back in place - the instruction book was of no help. Phoned the manufactures customer services and a very helpful lady suggested softening the gasket with hot water. Before trying this I discovered that there is a detachable plastic ring in the lid which allows you to remove and replace the gasket with ease!! No mention of this in the instruction book.
All in all I am very pleased with my purchase and will certainly recommend it to anybody who needs to cook small quantities of rice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect amount of rice for one person., 12 Mar. 2015
Aaron Richardson (Moscow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judge Mini Rice Cooker
As a single guy, with a hectic schedule, the Judge Mini Rice Cooker is just perfect. THe instructiona are very clear. You put one 'cup' of rice in it (little plastic measuring cup provided), and then you fill the inner 'pot' up the the level indicated on its inside with water (I was surprised how much water you need), and then switch it on. The little yellow light (which means 'keeping warm') turns red, and it is cooking.

White basmati takes about 15 minutes, I discovered that brown rice takes over 50 minutes. It took so long that I thought it had broken. Just turns out that brown rice takes a lot longer! Now I just make white basmati.

When it has finished 'cooking', the red light goes off and turns yellow. Apparently this can keep your rice warm for up to six hours, but have never left it that long. It suggests that you leave it another 15 minutes more, but I dont do that either. You then unclip the lid and use the provided little plastic 'spoon' to dish up the rice. I usually add it to a microwaved curry or something.

You can easily dismantle all the parts and wash them up and I just leave it on teh draining board for the next cook.

Sometimes I have a portion left over and I just keep that for a meal later the next day. You can adjust how much you make, but it's great for 1-2 persons and you are not forced to make a massive amount like others, which a guess cater for families.

Not cheap, but would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for small quantities., 14 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Judge Mini Rice Cooker
This is a very good size for cooking 1-2 portions of rice. It takes up much less space than my larger rice cooker and doesn't burn the rice at the bottom of the pan. Build quality also feels much better than my larger (Crockpot) version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 1 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Judge Mini Rice Cooker
Best thing I have bought for my kitchen. Having a 2 year old boy, who goes to bed during dinner time, makes cooking stressful. The rice cooker allows you to cook rice, with minimal effort, before he goes to bed and then automatically keeps it warm afterwards. I can set the rice cooker to cook, deal with putting my son to bed, then come down to stir fry something and have a full meal ready. Totally awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact and easy to use, 25 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Judge Mini Rice Cooker
I live alone and only cook one portion of rice at a time, so this little rice cooker is perfect! It only cooks up to 2 servings at a time and I use it to cook short grain brown rice, which comes out nice and fluffy each time. It's fairly basic in function and simple to use. Just plug it in and push the button down so it turns red. When the rice is done the button flips up to the keep warm setting. However, it doesn't make any sound signally that it's finished, and has no special settings for certain types of rice and no timer. Also, be careful not to add to much water, otherwise it leaks all over the place. I accidentally did that the first time and my kitchen top got soaked. Overall, compact, light, easy to use and great for small servings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for me - wish I found this years ago !!, 8 April 2015
This review is from: Judge Mini Rice Cooker
I love it. This is soooooooo much better than my other rice maker. It easily makes potions for 1-2 people and you don't end up with a burnt bottom like my other (larger) rice maker. I also like how the lid is sealed down and it is small so doesn't take up too much space. Personally, I like to turn the inside dish onto a plate and the contents slide out into a shaped-heap which I find rather fun - simple things clearly amuse me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant piece of kit, 13 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Judge Mini Rice Cooker
Best rice cooker for electric-hookup camping, but I use it all the time at home for single servings. One of my best gadgets, always cooks a small quantity of rice to perfection and the rice doesn't go crusty at the bottom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this rice cooker but should have read the capacity ..., 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Judge Mini Rice Cooker
Love this rice cooker but should have read the capacity as it is too small. Only two portions of rice and I needed four at least. Quick delivery and very easy return procedure.

Judge Mini Rice Cooker