Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 9 April 2015
Georgia On Her Mind is another fabulous book by Rachel Hauck. I always know that when I pick up a book by Rachel that I am going to thoroughly enjoy it, and I am not just going to read the book, I am going to live it. Georgia On Her Mind is so much more than just a good book. It is full of godly truths, that we should all learn to live by.
Macy Moore has it all by the world's standards - a well paid job, a new car, designer clothes and a nice flat. But somewhere along the way up the corporate ladder, Macy lost sight of God. Macy was unaware of this, until her friend told her. This can serve as a warning to us all, in the words of The Casting Crowns song, "it's a slow fade"...people often don't set out to walk away from God, they just drift away, as other things in life take over. Macy needs to renew her relationship with God. Her worldly self battles against her godly desires. Which one will win out?
Within the novel, Rachel Hauck explores relationships in general. They come in all different shapes and sizes. Macy has a nodding relationship with some of her neighbours but a much closer one with seventy seven year old Mrs Woodward. Then there is the relationship Macy has with her parents, work colleagues and group of girl friends. In all of these, Macy pursues a slightly different role, but she is always kind, compassionate and caring. Rachel Hauck has drawn Macy as a woman after God's own heart... by no means perfect, but doing her best, and as such the reader cannot help but like her.
Georgia On Her Mind is written in the first person of Macy, so the reader sees the world through her eyes. And as such the reader knows her thoughts and dreams, and this all helps to cement the reader's bond with Macy.
All the characters are realistically drawn, and I loved the bond and rapour between Macy and her group of girlfriends. The love and support that they showed each other was truly beautiful.
A major theme of the novel is searching - searching to fill that God shaped hole that we each have inside of us. It cannot be filled by stuff or a job or people, but still everyone tries. Macy is looking for that role that will fulfil her, but until she realises that the hole is God shaped, she will keep looking.
The novel is also about choices and dilemma's, we all have them. Macy has to weigh up what her heart, God and the world is telling her. Which voice will she listen to? In a world where there is so much competing noise, how easy is it to hear God's whisper?
I always enjoy books by Rachel Hauck. They are very readable, amusing, with a Biblical message that is powerful and would also be a wise path to take. Her main female characters, in this case, Macy are always likeable and well drawn. If you have not yet picked up a book by Rachel Hauck, I urge you to do so, as you are missing out!
on 2 February 2014
For all the Christians out there looking for a wonderful day of reading with so many lessons to be learned this is for you.
This book was so.....o interesting I wish it would not end. Congratulations to Ms Hauck for doing what she does best. Write a story about everyday Christians you can relate to.
on 18 July 2014
This was an entertaining, light-hearted read with some fascinating characters. It was well written and had a good inspirational message underneath, about trusting God with your life, whether work or marriage etc. I really enjoyed this book and the style was refreshing.
on 20 April 2015
LOVED THIS BOOK IT WAS GREAT FROM BEGINING TO END
on 2 February 2014
I wasn't looking for anything complicated; a bit of light reading & with the 1st two chapters this book was hitting the spot, with the premise of a girl who feels she's going places who suddenly finds herself demoted at work, and single, in the space of 12 hours.

So far, so good but then in Chapter 3, starts the references to the main characters relationship with God; how, because she hadn't been conversing with God, or consulting with God on a daily basis - this was why her work and love life had gone to pot.

It felt to me that I'd be conned in to buying this book; there was no reference to this being a chick-lit for the modern Christian woman book.

You may think, 'so what? there's nothing wrong with a Christian slant on this genre' - and there isn't, except that it felt like it went from a subtle aside to my constantly getting clobbered over the head with the 'Christian Stick', and that the further in to the story, the more whacks there were.

I dare say that perhaps this approach was to mirror the main characters re-connection with her faith but frankly, but by the time I hit Chapter 11 and 28% in to the book - I was done and deleted the book from my Kindle.