4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone with young kids and an i-phone should read it
Its not everyone's cup of tea but helped me to focus on what is important in life and that is not an i-phone, facebook, candy crush or e-mail. Like a lot of self-help kind of books it is slightly repetitive but it emphasises a hugely important set of points. Invaluable read and has helped me get back on track and some quality time with my kids.
Published 9 months ago by sk8tergirl

2.0 out of 5 stars nice idea, poorly delivered and super-Christian
Published 8 months ago by Psychologist

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone with young kids and an i-phone should read it, 16 Jan 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars nice idea, poorly delivered and super-Christian, 11 Feb 2014
Psychologist (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I like the idea of prioritising moments of connection with my family over work and to do lists, but I struggled with the twee, repetitive and patronising tone of the book and felt the message could have been conveyed in one chapter. I don't need to think of time with my family as God given Sunset Moments to think they have value. There are only so many trivial but designed to be tear-jerking anecdotes that can get an emotional response, and I don't need to read a set of sentimental poems and reflections for every strategy. I wanted there to be more to this book than 'slow down and pay attention to your kids' expressed in ten different ways, ideally some evidence related to attachment research, child development, well-being or the outcomes of different parenting strategies, but this was entirely absent.

There is a huge assumption in this book that, like the author, the reader is a Christian homemaker with a traditional family configuration. She seems to spend inordinate amounts of time and effort on presenting a good appearance, and to have started from a position in which she never talked to her children to think it a revelation to join in the games when they went swimming or to have a conversation rather than using her mobile phone whilst driving or to allow her children to join in household chores. If this is the state we've got to in the world then maybe some people do need to start from something this basic, but I suspect many mums with demanding jobs still manage to kiss their kids goodbye when they drop them off at school and have conversations with them in the car or the doctor's waiting room.

Of course, there is always room to improve, and I've come away thinking about the times that I do check my email at home or work late or miss out on the time before the school run in the morning as I've stayed up late to finish a report (even though these are all times they have their dad's full attention). I do agree with the message to slow down and value the people around you, which is why I bought the book on the basis of reading a couple of the blog entries, but I can't help feeling this lacked substance and is a topic much better dealt with in books like 'what mothers do (when it looks like they are doing nothing)'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for busy mummy's, 28 April 2014
This review is from: Hands Free Mama PB (Paperback)
I love this book, it's just what I needed, I knew I was missing out on the importing things but this booked helped me to sort things out x

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changer!, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hands Free Mama PB (Paperback)
Great book, really makes you stop and think about what's important. So glad I read it! Will be passing it around my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 25 Jan 2014
Gave me a few home truths of what i do on a day to day basis....also gave me realisation of what is more important and what is not. Great read. Highly recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you!, 13 Jan 2014
This book came at the perfect time for me. I found myself nodding along and recognising so many of the issues covered. There were a fair few tears on my part.

This book is engaging and sensitively written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful read to become happier, realizing what's important in our life, 9 Jan 2014
'Hands Free Mama' by Rachel Macy Stafford is a book for which every mother and wife should put aside a few hours to read - because its pages would be helpful to become happier and realize what's actually important in life.

Until few years ago, the author as well as every woman who is also mother and wife, led customary life of frantic pace, having no time for what matters the most - her family of two young daughters and husband. At one point Stafford realized she could no longer live like that, therefore she decided to make a large cut in her life - she began to change it completely, no longer spending days fulfilling endless to-do lists, but instead living a more relaxed and intentional life, embarking on her personal journey towards becoming a better parent and partner.

She began to record her changes, sharing them with the readers on her blog, and as a product of the overall change she managed to make in her life, this book was created.

This book that has around 250 pages reader will be read very quickly because of the interest what is on the next page, but its real value comes after you complete the first reading because definitely you will want to read it again. The author described the whole process of change through which she passed in detail, and her concept though it may sound simple when you compress it in the phrase "more relaxed life" is not such that it can be implemented at once and quickly.

For this reason, the author helps the reader in a way that if you truly want to make changes in your life that should be done gradually and thoroughly using advices and experience that she is offering not selfishly. It is important to outline the path you plan to move, in whatever pace is suitable for you, and even slightest move from the start will mean that you're already on your way toward becoming happier and aware of the most important things in your life.

For this reason, Hands Free movement is something that certainly deserves attention and time you'll invest in reading this book - will you take the road that the author already passed would depend on the consideration of each person's own life, how happy and satisfied she is and can she imagine leading life of higher quality.

Whatever the answer will be, in any case this book and experience that the author shared with readers shows that there is a way to live better, becoming better person for the people who surround us.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I needed to read, 12 Oct 2014
This was what I have been feeling in my heart but needed the push to do. To read that someone else believes it too was just what I needed to hear. I am trying my best to live hands free, as much as possible. Trying to get my husband to let go of his gadgets is the biggest challenge!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read to make you think about the important things in life, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Hands Free Mama PB (Paperback)
Quite thought-provoking, I read a chapter each night as if you read too much in one go it becomes a bit schmaltzy. Does make me think, as a stay-at-home mum, about really focusing on the kids rather than being there but always having distractions in the house. Being there for your kids is more important than being there for the laundry or your constant stream of emails…..

5.0 out of 5 stars A recommended read, 8 Jan 2014
Peter Jones (Springfield, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hands Free Mama PB (Paperback)
It is not often that are we come across books that touch the rising problems in our lives and in society. So, Rachel Macy Stafford's A Guide to Putting Down.. is a really welcomed.This book may be a little bit too much Her narration is good. Her voice is strong in the writing and her style is unique. Poetic and fast flowing, she puts her points across without drowning in passions, opinions and verdicts. Reminds me of the insightful stories I read in The Shades of Fire. A recommended read.