5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, massive storage, wonderful keyboard.
Published 13 months ago by Sagadolly

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed! 1 Star is too high for this rubbish.
Great specs & lovely keyboard, however...
Cheap build quality, simply awful mouse tracker & possibly the worst wi-fi card I ever experienced, regularly cuts out in the same room as the router & will not work in a different room. Even with the cash back deal (which was about £15.00 short I might add!) I'm not sure it's value for money...

Update... The more...
Published 7 months ago by CJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, massive storage, wonderful keyboard., 22 May 2014
Sagadolly (Leeds, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was impressed with the tech spec of this laptop for the price and have not been disappointed with the performance. As a professional typist I need a good keyboard I can bash away on and this one is the best I've used. It flashes around apps speedily and as for Windows 8.1 - I love it. The vast memory means I can save as many photos, music, games etc as I like without slowing down the performance. Also - no more laptop knee! It is very cool no matter how long you have it on and has a good battery life. Downsides - there's no doubt it is heavier than others for its size. If you want a laptop to carry around frequently it might not be for you. Personally I use this at home and prefer my phone or a tablet for travel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great hardware, riskysystem for the non- computer-savvy, 6 Aug. 2014
Simon Daultrey "g3fan" (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lenovo G500 15.6-inch Laptop - Black (Intel Pentium 2020M 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Intel Integrated Graphics, Bluetooth, Camera, DVDRW, Windows 8.1 Home Premium) (Personal Computers)
I've been using an Acer Aspire for a couple of years and when I bought it I was torn between that and a Lenovo. I just bought this Lenovo G500 for my girlfriend and it's been interesting comparing the two.

The Lenovo build quality is MUCH better than the Acer. Yes, it's a slightly thicker and marginally heavier laptop, but it's much more solid and less bendy, defying the plastics that it's built from. The layout of connectivity (power, USB2, USB3, HDMI etc) is nice, and as many have commented, the keyboard has a reassuringly good, quality feel and design.

For every day computing tasks, the hardware is absolutely capable, and I'd venture that the 1TB of hard disc space is possibly overkill. For those needing some extra memory available, don't be put off by the 4GB installed - SODIMM modules are really cheap on amazon, and an upgrade would be worth considering.

Everything else, in terms of hardware (screen, camera, speakers, DVD drive etc), seems to be equal to everything else within the 200£ - £500 price range.

My misgivings with the G500 have been entirely to do with Windows 8.1 and, in particular, the extra free software installed. This machine with Windows 7 installed would be a sure 5-star for me.

Make sure you have your WiFi ready, as one of the first parts of the setup process when you first boot the system is to connect to a network, and set up your Microsoft account. It seemed to be quite a lengthy process to get to the point where the laptop was ready to use (MUCH longer than setting up Windows 7), and then I got hit by the bloatware.

I have many years of experience of using different iterations of Windows, and I've built my own PC's, but I still struggled to keep on top of the self-installing, auto-starting rubbish that afflicted Windows 8.1 from my first login. I had to download a third party Program Uninstall utility just to get rid of half of it, and even that wasn't enough to stop the pesky Astromeda and even more hideous AnyProtect.

Thankfully, I managed to get my Bit Defender Internet Security suite (HIGHLY recommended) installed, which then went on to safely remove ten virus-infected files and block another six a few hours later. I have never seen this kind of level of virus activity on a brand new system.

I do believe that Windows 8 is probably going to prove quite easy to get used to, and I can see that it is a good compromise to cover everything from tablets to PC's, but I think it is too liberal with it's automatic seeking and installation of 'apps' that you may not want.

In summary, I think the hardware is great, the operating system needs improving, and the extra stuff that is 'bundled' is shocking. If you already have a copy of Windows 7 available, then you might do well to buy this laptop, wipe the hard drive, and install Win 7 so that you can stay in control of what it's doing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 Sept. 2014
Colin Skinner (North Shields, Tyne and Wear) - See all my reviews
Excellent build quality, amazingly fast startup laptop, without some bells and whistles but at an excellent price.

4.0 out of 5 stars User Friendly, 26 July 2014
Really pleased with this laptop, it is not suitable for carrying around but I bought it for home use. Took a little time to get used to using Windows8 but fine now. For the money I am really happy with this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed! 1 Star is too high for this rubbish., 8 Nov. 2014
Great specs & lovely keyboard, however...

Update... The more I use this awful laptop the more I hate it. Avoid this laptop & avoid Lenovo. I have lost faith in any company that can make a laptop experience this bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo, 9 April 2014
Great product I love it . I bought as a present for a friend for the price and the quality I have no copplains. It is fast and simple. Oh! the numerical key pad made a lot oh difference too. I will be buying one for myself, this is a switch from Sony Vaio.

5.0 out of 5 stars After intense research, I picked the right laptop..., 14 Nov. 2014
For those debating "Should I buy this? Should I not?". Well the answer is BUY IT. I had done quite a fair amount of research before I bought this laptop as I wanted to spend my £300+ on something I would not want to regret. I did not want the high end laptops, nor did I want the lower end laptops, but this beauty sits right in the middle. After a speedy delivery, Quick opening I was very pleased, not too heavy, nor extremely light. Looks simple, elegant, what a laptop should look like. Setting up does take a few hours, installing the latest windows 8.1, deleting unnecessary pre installed apps/bloatware/websites, and yes I got fed up with the constant wait BUT once I had done all that I had no further problems. WIFI was quick to set up, apps I actually wanted etc was easy to install. Quick response, no issues with the mousepad nor the keyboard, everything was responsive and slick. I also took a while to get use to windows 8.1, but In time you can make it your own, and can customise it however you like. The camara is good also, you can see yourself and that's the main thing.

CONS?
- Well there isn't much I can think of except the corners of the laptop are pretty sharp, especially where your wrist would sit.
- The screen resolution could be brighter.
- Pity it doesn't have Microsoft Office installed, you have to buy that.

PROS?
- Good camara for pictures, Skype etc
- Nice, easy to use keyboard/mouse pad
- Good connections, wifi was easy to set up
- Big screen, clear images
- Fast response, no lag or jitters
- DVD/CD drive is a plus too

For a budget-ish laptop, you get everything you would like and then some. I would certainly recommend this (I actually have, my sister is getting one). I can't speak for those who have had problems, but for me this is a perfect laptop for my work, web browsing, watching films, music, pictures etc. Buy it!

Stephanie A

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good laptop for its price, 6 Dec. 2014
I bought the Lenovo G500 as a replacement laptop for a 5 year old laptop.

The advancement in technology was expected, but the build quality of Lenovo was a surprise to me. Lenovo aren't very famous as a brand in my country. Acer and Asus seem to have taken over the 'budget' laptop market. When comparing these three it is clear that the Lenovo is of a superior build quality and design.

Keeping in mind that this is a basic laptop, and not a gaming / fancy laptop, it looks very professional. The buttons feel good and the trackpad has multi-touch and works as it should.

I would definitely buy this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chuffed, 29 Aug. 2014
Very pleased with this item. OK was a little strange at first the keyboard requires setting to eng uk and the new windows 8.1 operating system took a bit of getting used to but very happy with it now and wouldn't want to swap back. At this price who could complain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice stylish, good buy for the money, 7 Aug. 2014
Very nice stylish, good buy for the money.