5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for
Published 6 months ago by RtheB

3.0 out of 5 stars item returned not as described
I did not get a chance to look at laptop I was advised by Amazon to return item before opening.
Reason was Amazon had posted warning after I ordered to say that a previous customer had received laptop but was not as described and that they where looking into it.
Published 6 months ago by bobmon

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for, 23 Feb 2014
RtheB (Stockport UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lenovo G710 17.3-inch Laptop (Intel Core i7-4702MQ, 8Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD, DVDSM, LAN, WLAN, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8.1) - Black (Personal Computers)
I can only echo what S Upton said in his review for this laptop. I had a couple of disappointing delays and other not too good experiences prior to purchasing this model, but I am glad I stuck with Amazon and they finally got it right. This is a Windows 8.1 model with an i7 4072 MQ processor and, so far has exceeded all expectations. My only problem with it is getting used to Windows 8.1 after using a Windows 7 laptop for the last few years, but getting used to it I am, albeit slowly. I have done a bit of photo editing and loaded a pretty hi-spec game to see how the the nvidea GT 720M graphics card coped and I can confirm it coped very well indeed. I'm not all that much of a PC gamer, but it's good to know the power is there if I need it. I'm also pretty sure it will handle video editing without too many problems, but I have yet to try that.
I am still getting used to it, but the more I use it, the more confident I am becoming and I think I made the right decision purchasing this particular model - even though it wasn't my first choice.
If there is anything else i consider worth mentioning I will add to this review, but for now I am more than happy with it.
I know this has nothing to do with reviewing this laptop, but I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me whether Windows Mail or something similar is available for the Windows 8.1 system because, at the moment, I am having to use webmail for receiving and sending emails, which to me isn't ideal as I prefer Windows Mail, mainly because I am so used to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be more pleased!, 6 Mar 2014
As stated in the subject, I am extremely pleased with this laptop.

It's really fast and feels solidly built. The keyboard is pleasant to type on, and doesn't flex like a lot of laptops I tested. The screen is excellent, and the laptop itself doesn't feel that heavy considering it's size (although this is probably because my old, smaller, laptop weighs a ton in comparison!)

I've been using Windows 8 since it was released, so wasn't concerned about it being pre-installed. I actually really like it, but agree with others that the live tiles start screen has no place on a laptop - particularly without a touch screen. However, just install a copy of Stardock Start8 and you'll never have to look at it again; it replaces the live tiles with a Windows 7-style start menu and the laptop will automatically boot into desktop. It's $5 well spent, and will save the hassle of having to install Windows 7 itself.

I had thought I'd need to spend over a grand for a core i7 laptop with 8+ gigs of RAM and a dedicated graphics card, so extremely happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible premium laptop at a price not that much above a budge laptop, 4 Mar 2014
Andre (TURRIFF, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am over the moon with this laptop. In the past I have generally been in the budget laptop market, around the 300 price mark. When my last HP laptop died I decided this time around I would treat myself and try and get a laptop with performance somewhere nearer what you would expect for a mid priced desktop.

The spec of this laptop is incredible for the price, an i7 processor, 2GB seperate video card and 8GB of RAM - I would say this laptop would be fine for even the most demanding software for the next few year.

It runs Office 2013 beautifully as well as SQL Server , very impressive.

I was also very pleasantly suprised that the 2 games I have installed, Prince of Persia (2010) and Tomb Raider (2013) run perfectly with the graphic settings all the way up. In fact with a XBOX 360 controller plugged in this has pretty much replaced console gaming for me.

I swapped out the rather slow, although roomy, supplied 5400rpm 1TB drive for a 250GB SSD drive avaialbe on Amazon for around 100 and Windows boots in literally seconds.

I have installed Windows 7 rather than the supplied Windows 8 as I'm not a big fan. Win 7 drivers are available for everything except the power management so I can't get my battery to charge while Windows is running, but charges fine when shut down. Windows 8 would be fine and it may be you might be able to get the power management stuff to run under Win 7.

The laptop is quite light for a 17.3" model but you probably woudn't want to lug it around all day.

The keyboards is a joy to type on with the keys being nicely spaced and a numeric keyboard on the right (normally absent from budget laptops).

The power connection is on the left of the laptop, which I find unusual, and a bit annoying - very minor critisism admittedly. It's also quite a solid plug so make sure you're unplugged before getting up as I could see it cracking the case if you're a bit clumbsy, like me, and try and walk off with a plugged in laptop.

I am absolutely delighted with the laptop, serious bit of kit at a great price.

Edit 6 March 2014 :

The battery does charge under win7, even when the power management stuff isn't working. It just says 'not charging' when it gets to 99% which I guess makes sens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant laptop package., 19 Feb 2014
S. Upton "muffins" (Hampshire) - See all my reviews
Firstly, ignore the two previous negative reviews since they seem to relate to the wrong product being shipped by Amazon, or a product that was different to that described. Though it's very bad that these two chaps had problems with their orders, the negative product reviews do not reflect the product, just the delivery of said product, which I think is unfair.

This review will just be on the laptop itself.

There are lots of little details and additions that I really like. I absolutely love the keyboard for starters. Depressing the keys has a nice tactile feel to it, and they are nicely spaced. I really like typing on it. The keys poke through the laptop surface rather than sitting above it, so dirt and crud can't get under the keys like with my old laptop. There is also a full numeric keypad.

The function buttons by default do not need you to press the Fn button to use them, which I thought made more sense since usually you'd be using the function buttons more frequently than the F1-F12 keys. You can change this if you'd rather have it the other way.

The screen is pretty nice. The viewing angles and brightness are pretty good, and displays super sharply.

I had zero stuttering and no noticeable frame-rate issues on a few games that I ran on maximum settings to test the laptop with. I was VERY impressed with this. This is after all, a laptop, and not a desktop PC. My desktop for instance would sometimes stutter slightly in Xcom. I haven't seen that happen yet on the Lenovo despite having all the graphical setting on maximum. The vent on the left hand side does spew out a great deal of heat when running games so be careful to keep it unobstructed. It also plays HD videos flawlessly.

The restore method is pretty neat. Instead of getting a load of discs and manuals, the restore files are instead on a partition on the drive, and there is a button next to the power button that is for backing-up/restoring etc your system. I like this since there are no CD's to lose.

A Start Menu mod (Pokki) was pre-installed on the laptop which gives you a Start Menu in Windows 8 and allows you to hide the 'Charms' and that pointless Start Page windows button. THANKYOU Lenovo for pre-installing that, it made getting my laptop up and running the way I like it (programs, transferring files etc) very quick and familiar. I actually replaced Pokki with a different start menu program in the end but it was good to have the start menu option available straight from the box. Lets face it, the new Start Screen is pure cancer on a PC/laptop.

Lenovo have put very little bloatware on the laptop. There is around twelve genuinely useful programs pre-installed (McAfree, settings, solutions, manual, pdf reader, recovery, power management etc).

The single usb 3.0 jack is on the left side and there are two usb 2.0 jacks on the right side. This might be a small problem if you like to use a wired usb mouse with your laptop since the mouse cable will be a little in the way. There is a combined audio/mic jack on the right side. It works fine for headphones and external speakers, but will not work for a stand-alone mic. Either use a usb mic or a headset with a combined jack for that.

The wifi works flawlessly.

Battery life seems to be what they claim it to be, which is quite impressive.

The build quality feels really good (nothing rattles anyway) and the built in speakers are fairly ok as laptop speakers go. They're fine for playing the human voice (podcasts, videos etc), but you'll want headphones or external speakers for listening to music.

I was originally going to buy the G500 model, however having seen both the specs and the price for the G710 I decided to get the G710 instead. Usually for a widescreen laptop with a good chip, 8 gigs of ram and a graphics card you would be looking at a price a fair ways over 1000. This is what made me decide to spend a little more for the G710 - it is good value for the money. I'd rather have a reasonably priced laptop that is capable of doing demanding tasks (games, video, multi-tasking etc), rather than an inexpensive one that would struggle with said tasks, or a very expensive one that didn't offer much over the G710.

I'm very happy with my G710.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!!, 20 April 2014
This is possibly the best item I have purchased from Amazon. This laptop is amazing. Very well equipped, very fast. Price was extremely good value as other laptops with this spec can run into the thousand range. Plays all my games at a very high res and good frame rate. Mine didn't have an SSD but to be honest it boots up in a matter of seconds to windows 8. If you have been thinking about this laptop but a little unsure, I can recommend it as it is just brilliant. Make sure you have Anti Virus software tho as the one that comes pre installed is only a trial but I believe most lap tops have this. i7 processor, 8 gig Ram, 1TB HD, 17" screen and a dedicated Nvidia card as well as the intel 4000HD on board. You will not be disappointed if you buy this lap top.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it said it does, 31 May 2014
Compares well with other comparable items I looked at. It has been very reliable and robust as a laptop. I have not yet explored some of the features it has but those I primarily bought it for it does quickly, efficiently and with little fuss. I look forward to exploring the other features.

My one complaint is very minor but annoying. The connection from the mains to the adapter which then leads to the laptop to charge the battery can and has become disconnected whilst looking as though it is connected - the connection needs pushing in firmly and even so can become unconnected by trivial movement whilst looking connected.

3.0 out of 5 stars item returned not as described, 11 Feb 2014
I spoke to Amazon on live chat and was advised to return, I was quite disappointed as I really was looking forward to trying out, but better safe than sorry. There was no supplier info so I could not email them, now waiting on my refund before I can place order for a replacement laptop.
I will change review on receipt of new laptop, this review is more on the mistakes made by sending a laptop out for delivery after having cancelled, although it was still being prepared for distribution, and the fact the warning came after I had placed order.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't but until they clarify what they're selling, 16 Feb 2014
The processor in the heading is a 4th generation 'Haswell' type, whereas the one described in the detailed blurb is a 3rd generation 'ivy bridge' type. Which is it?! Apparently it makes a huge difference to battery life and some to performance.