4.0 out of 5 stars For that record-of-the-moment shot
For a basic snap camera the W830 is fine. Lots of tech features for various shooting modes but within rather limited shooting options and I think this is what the majority of buyers for this type of camera want, also I think the compact size is a strong selling point.

Published 6 months ago by Robin Benson

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful
This may be a brilliant compact camera or a terrible one, depending on what you want from it.

Published 6 months ago by A. Skudder

4.0 out of 5 stars For that record-of-the-moment shot, 9 May 2014
Robin Benson - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sony DSCW830 Digital Compact Camera - Purple (20.1MP, 8x Optical Zoom) 2.7 Inch LCD (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Outside on a bright sunny day it works perfectly and the zoom delivers good results. Movies and sound, for very basic shooting, are reasonable. The panorama option I thought was really rather superficial, far too short at a few seconds to do anything creative though maybe useful if you wanted to shoot a room interior or line of people. Nice of Sony to replace the rather ungainly zoom lever on the WX80 with a much more easy to use toggle switch on this camera.

The downside for me with the W-830 are not the images but a couple of other areas to do with the camera and Sony. The battery/card cover is rather flimsy and could easily be broken accidentally. It takes longer than I would have expected for the camera to get ready for the next shot. Sony persist in producing dedicated accessories for their products. Here you get a USB cable to connect the camera to a pc for charging or downloading images, this looks like a unique Sony connector cable (it will not even fit the slightly older WX80 camera) and as another review has said: don't lose it. Of course you can take the card out and download images with a reader but you can't recharge the battery without the Sony cable.

The Instruction Manual is just a concertina sheet of one-side printed paper and only covers the very basics. Even the two PDFs on the Sony website just repeat the same information (one PDF has it in several languages) to get any real information you have to click on 'Help Guide' and explore various pages. A worthwhile one is 'Before Use', then click on 'List of icons displayed on the screen'. Amazingly there are several dozen. Sony should really provide all the information in the 'Help Guide' as a downloadable PDF, as they do on their US site! I still have a 2004 Sony Manual to the Cyber-shot P100 with 126 pages of step-by-step illustrated instructions. The screen icons for the P100 numbered seventy-four (and to be honest I would still use the camera if the LCD screen was bigger)

If you want to take straightforward record-of-the-moment shots the W830 is as good as any other compact camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Average "budget" camera, 28 April 2014
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
♦ Brief ♦

The W830 is within Sony's "budget" range of compact cameras and is available for a fairly low price, but sacrifices a lot of extra features the more "premium" cameras have, such as WiFi, NFC, extra zoom and better components etc...

This camera comes in our different colours (black, silver, purple or pink) and is so compact, it can fit into the palm of my hand. It's also very comfortable camera to hold and is very light in weight.

Photo quality is okay, it can take some pretty decent photos but due to its small sensor, quality is going to be limited.

♦ Box Contents & Recommended Extras ♦

- Box Contents: W830 Digital Camera | Battery | USB Cable | AC Adaptor | Power Cable | Wrist Strap | Instruction Manual.

- Recommended Extras: SDHC Memory Card* | Spare Battery.

* There's no flash memory(well, enough to take 4 photos), so getting one of these are a must! (You can go for any brand you want, however I would recommend a memory card with no less than 8GB memory capacity & of class 10).

♦ Ease of Use & Navigation ♦

Personally, I found the camera really easy to navigate around, both externally and internally.

There aren't too many buttons located around the camera like you would find on the more advanced cameras.

To select which shooting mode you want (photo, panoramic or filming), there is a little slider on the back that allows you to switch between each one.

When it comes to different modes within the cameras software, just click the menu button and scroll through. You have four different modes to choose from:

Intelligent Auto: "Exposure adjustment with automatic settings".

Program Auto: "Auto exposure with adjustable settings".

Picture Effect: Choose between the "Toy Camera", "Pop Colour", "Partial Colour" or "Soft High-Key" effects.

Scene Selection: 11 different pre-set modes to choose from that will adjust the settings for different scenes, such as "Portrait", "Landscape", "Night Scene", "Beach" & "Snow".

Compared to how other cameras handle taking panoramic photos, Sony's cameras makes it really easy to take such photos, you literally press the shutter button and sweep the camera from left to right, which it then stitches them all together for you.

Movie mode there are only two settings to select from; "Auto" & "Picture Effect".

♦ Photo & Video Quality ♦

A higher mega-pixel count in a camera does not mean it's going to have better photo quality compare to a camera that has less mega-pixels, there's more to it; sensor size, lens quality & the imaging processor etc... The more mega-pixels there are, means the larger prints you can get without the loss of image quality, but if you don't have a decent photo then you're just left with having an oversized photo that takes up more space on your memory card (Roughly 7.5MB per photo!).

Baring in mind this camera is more towards the budget range, the quality isn't going to be crisp, and unfortunately after dealing with some higher-end cameras, it's made me notice the poorer quality much more than what I would have done so beforehand.

So photo quality results I've had whilst using this camera have been a mixed bag, many shots taken have looked pretty sharp, clear and genuinely really good, whereas other times not so much with photos looking blurred and a bit grainy.

This camera performs well outdoors in decent lighting; landscapes, portrait or taking photos of flowers came out really well in my opinion, only rarely would I have a random problem with exposure.

With the zoom, I had a lot of issues regarding to the focus, on the camera screen I wouldn't think twice, but it's when I have the images on my computer, I notice the images are actually blurred... Ooops, too late for retakes!

Low-lighting conditions are a hit or miss with this camera, most photos come out okay, it's only when you start zooming into the photos you'll notice the slight noise that comes with the photo, other times the noise can be apparent straight away, along with the photo not being as sharp as it could.

Panoramic images looked great with the image zoomed out to fill the screen on my laptop, but when you zoom in you can tell the quality isn't quite there.

Using the 720p setting when filming videos were okay, nothing special but is at a level where it's good for home videos etc... That's about it.

If there is one thing I could say that really bothered me, it would be the screen. In-low lighting conditions, the screen can seem fuzzy and there is some very noticeable lag when moving the camera around.

♦ Final Opinion ♦

The W830 is an okay camera, not the best but certainly not the worst. Its size will be very convenient for people who want a camera that can simply slip into ones pocket, and most of the time can deliver decent snapshots, with the ability to zoom in 8x to get those out of reach subjects.

This camera definitely has its ups and downs so I've listed the ones that have stood out to me during my use.

✔ Pros:
✓ Very compact.
✓ Comfortable to hold.
✓ Easy to navigate & use.
✓ Has the ability to take some decent photos.
✓ Partial colour is a really cool mode that singles out a single colour in a photo (blue, green, red or yellow).
✓ Sweep panorama mode makes it simple to take such photos, all in one sweeping motion.

✖ Cons:
✘ Poor in low-lighting conditions.
✘ Sometimes struggles focusing when using zoom.
✘ Video quality not the best.
✘ Screen looks fuzzy when in low-lighting conditions.

► Note: I have uploaded various photo examples, these can be found via the link just under the product picture. No adjustments were made on the actual photos.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 8 May 2014
A. Skudder (Crawley, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This is the first camera I have used that does not have an optical viewfinder so it took some getting used to. I am a bit old-school in that I like to hold the camera to my eye because it just feels right and also because that helps to brace the camera and hold it steady. It felt a bit srange taking pictures at arms length, but I didn't get the blurring I was expecting so it looks like the image stabilisation does enough to compensate for a bit of arm wobbling.

For casual use this seems to be fine. It looks good, has a decent lens, and is small enough to slip into even a shirt pocket easily. I have taken to keeping it with me when I am out with the dogs, which my old compact camera was a bit bulky for.

The battery life seems good. I have taken about 150 photos, many with flash, and done a lot of playing around with it and the indicator still shows at least half a charge. I have left it on full automatic mode which has coped with fast moving dogs and landscapes equally well. The macro mode is particularly good, focussing on objects really close to the lens. At the other extreme, the optical zoom is very respectable.

There are a few built-in effects which seem a bit gimmicky, but the colour filters do work very well, giving effects that I have previously spent ages in photo editing packages to achieve, and the panorama works well both sideways and up and down.

Unfortunately there are some bad points to weigh against all that. For a start the camera does not feel very solid, being made of plastic. This is especially true of the on/off button which requires a very robust press to operate, and the cover for the battery/memory card compartment. It is only a little thing, but I am frustrated that the door does not latch shut - you have to slide the lock across to secure it.

Worse than that, the processor feels quite slow. When you take a photo there is quite a lag while the camera saves the shot. Part of this is because it is processing very large files - larger than 7MB if you are shooting at 20 megapixels. Changing the default to 10 or even 5 megapixels does speed it up a bit and 10 megapixels is more than enough. I guess Sony have to cram more megapixels into the CCD in order to appeal to people who think more is better, but personally I would rather they had stuck to 12 maximum and spent the money on the processor instead. Even 5 megapixels is more than enough if all you are going to do with the results is put them on Facebook or a digital picture frame.

In summary, the camera is convenient and fine for casual use. I expect I will carry it with me a lot for opportunistic photos but if I am going anywhere special I will take the big DSLR as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Customer review, 16 May 2014
First delivery not able to operate all functions sent back prompt replacement, instructions basic and vague, for more you have to download equivalent to book! Write up details said up to 200 photos actual is 9 then told internal disc full, now have to buy sd card. Camera works ok but not impressed with operating details, my phone does this at click and can hold just as many if not more !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little camera but having trouble with trying to get ..., 14 Oct 2014
H. P. Tokins "Critic Tokes" (Lincoln UK) - See all my reviews
Nice little camera but having trouble with trying to get a sharp focussed picture. I might ned more practise ad not such a heavy figure on the firing button. Still ot sure what size memory card I should use.

4.0 out of 5 stars good camera at great price, 26 July 2014
All in all it is good value for price. Sometimes the autofocus could be better (I'm talking about the easy mode) and the only real downside is that if you start shooting Hd video the battery drains quick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Dynamo, 20 April 2014
S. Porter (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Opening up the small box reveals a very small camera which turns out to punch well above its weight. We all know appearances can be deceptive and they certainly can with this Sony. Coming in at just 9.5 cm across (of which 6.7 cm is taken up by the LCD screen) this fits nicely into a pocket or a handbag.

The camera has an impressive 20.1 mega pixels and a 6x optical zoom.You can expand capacity by installing a memory card - not included. It has a battery life of approximately 100 minutes, 40 minutes if taking videos (both according to the manufacturer). The device itself has standard settings like auto flash, with some neat extras thrown in.

For example it has 'beauty mode' which is meant to show people's faces at their most appealing.You can for example choose a setting for your skin type. I couldn't notice a great deal of difference when I tried these out but then again with beauty mode and 'soft skin effect' let's just say it has its work cut out in my case! (sadly does not come with a plastic surgery kit as well).

You can also use other features such as shooting pictures that give the effect of using a toy camera. I tried this and the only effect I noticed was I wanted my mummy and had the sudden urge to watch Peppa Pig.

There are lots of features like this to play around with but most importantly, everything you expect to be there is included (such as landscape mode) and if you are partially sighted you can increase the font size on the LCD Screen.

The think I liked least about the camera was the charging process. Although this took only 20 minutes it charges with the camera off and you know what is happening via a charging light on top. This gives off a very dim discrete light when charging and it took me a while to figure out if it was even lit. Only this prevents me awarding 5 stars to a reasonably priced product which is small but powerful and has all the features you'd expect.

I have to go now - there's a repeat of Teletubbies coming on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and very compact., 11 May 2014
Junior Hornet "hornet123" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I received this camera, I was surprised at just how small it was. That does not been that it is small on quality though. I have taken shots inside and out, with and without flash (depending on the conditions) and get consistently good pictures. I took some pictures inside the relatively dim lighting of Winchester Cathedral without flash and they turned out good. With outside shots, the colour was natural and vibrant.

The automatic settings work well and can be easily overridden (for example to suppress the flash).

A couple of negatives. Firstly the internal memory is very small so an SD card is essential (full size not micro SD unless you have an adapter). Secondly, even with a relatively fast shot in good light, the shutter takes a couple of seconds to do its stuff leaving you to hold the camera still for what seems an age.

It's a great camera to take with you when sightseeing, when a full size one is a pain to lug around. Results are just as good as a mid range digital SLR and you can just slip it in your pocket when not using it.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for..., 22 April 2014
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Sony DSCW380 is a tiny digital camera - it will easily fit into a shirt pocket without leaving a bulge - with appealing headline numbers, including an 8x optical zoom and 20 Mpixel resolution. When you consider those numbers, and the Sony name, it is very cheap - so the question is are you getting obvious compromises?

First impressions are not great - the camera is entirely plastic bodied, which makes it very light, but it feels toy-like as a result. The screen is reasonably clear and sharp, and the menu system is simple and intuitive - which is fortunate, as the supplied instructions only run to a single folded sheet of paper. There isn't even a full manual on CD included - you have to go to Sonly's website to download that yourself. You do start to feel how the corners have been cut at this point - this is the first digicam I have ever bought to be supplied without instructions and software; but then again, the user interface seems to have been simplified to the bare essentials anyway, so maybe Sony are simply aiming it at people who just want to take it out of the box and point and shoot.

What you do get is a battery, mains charger, USB cable (with a proprietary, non-standard plug, so don't lose it!) and a wrist strap. It all feels solid enough, but this is clearly a bare-bones camera. It does take either SD or MemoryStick media, and even has a tiny amount of built-in memory, enough for a couple of photos straight out of the box if you can't find a card.

One thing you do notice is how sluggish it seems to be in use - once you have taken a photo, it takes a second or so to display on the screen, and even in its so-called "continuous shooting" mode, you'll be lucky to get more than a frame a second. Forget catching that once-in-a-lifetime split-second shot - this camera is too slow for that. The powered zoom is reasonably brisk, but strangely, there doesn't seem to be the option for additional digital zoom, which you'd have thought would be one of the advantages of so many megapixels; you could afford to lose a few in cropping, but the camera doesn't do that.

The camera allegedly (according to information on the web) has image stabilisation, but I can find no evidence of this in use - it isn't mentioned as a feature listed on the box; there is no mention of it on the camera itself, and there is nothing I can find in the menu system to turn it on or off. I can only assume it is on all the time, but if that is the case, it doesn't do much.

All that said, what are the pictures like? They're ok, but far from brilliant. In decent lighting, they are sharp enough, but the colours are a bit washed out, there is a lot of obvious edge enhancement going on and the JPEG compression is noisier than I would like. In low light, they really aren't good at all - high ISOs result in extremely noisy images, to the extent of blurring any detail. In spite of the better lens on here than on a smartphone, I have seen better images from decent phone cameras.

By way of comparison, I own a Canon IXUS 500HS - it is identical in size to the Sony, but has a metal body and a 12x zoom. It only has 10 Mpixels, but it has decent image stabilisation, a lot more menu options and, crucially, takes much better pictures, in both bright and low light. It's a year or so old, but cost pretty much the same then as the Sony does now.

The only real advantage of the Sony over a decent smartphone camera is that zoom lens. It is small, light and easy to use - but then so are its competitors in the tiny digicam market, and my experience is that they take better pictures. The lack of any obvious image stabilisation seriously limits the use of a tiny camera like this by inexperienced photographers, and the lack of features and quality makes it unsuitable as a backup camera for anyone more serious. It's very hard to recommend given the competition at this price point, I'm afraid - Sony need to take a look at what they are competing with and try again.

5.0 out of 5 stars It won't put a dent in your pocket!, 26 April 2014
Uncle Barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This new Sony DSC-WS830 is a light and compact camera which looks neat and stylish (I got the purple model for a change!) and will be a useful addition to anyone on the move. The camera purportedly weighs in at 120g WITH battery pack and I must say it is extremely light and portable - this is probably its biggest asset.

The lens is a Zeiss Vario-Tessar 8x zoom which extends out in three stages at the most telephoto end of the spectrum. It equates to a 25mm - 200mm lens on an old-style 35mm camera (or 4.5-36mm on a digital one). It is actually a pretty decent lens. It's a 20.1 mega pixel camera so plenty of detail is captured. The colours all came out pretty well without much distortion at the edges (given the size and cost of the camera) so I was fairly impressed. The shortest shooting distance is 5cm.

The screen is a 6.7cm type - but I was a little disappointed with this - the actual pictures look quite dull and grainy even on this whereas the actual shots are much better.

Hitting the smiley face button and the camera searches for a smiley face in the picture and focuses on that. Bit of a gimmick? Yes probably? But does it work? Well it did when I tried it!

Zoom works via a W/T two-part button which woriks ok (although a little fast) but isn't that easily accessible while you are lining up for a shot and I prefer the usual type (like on a Panasonic Lumix) where the zoom button is sited on the top plate of the camera. There are a number of focus tracking options and focus weighted on different areas (as per normal).

The "instruction manual" is nothing more than one very large piece of paper with the most basic of instructions (how to insert the battery, memory card, charge the unit, set the clock, take images (i.e. click the shutter button) and view the images. This is almost useless as pretty much all of these "functions" are the same on any camera. You would begin to thihk that there were no other functions other than point and shoot on this camera (because there is no other indication actually on the unit that it has other more advanced fucntions - unlike other cameras that have a dial for their various functions - all this oens are via a "menu" button.

So, if you want anything useful at all out of the camera you need to go to the Sony website, put in the model number of your new camera and look for the Help Guide. The "Help Guide" is online but it is a little infuriating trying to read it because it is in HTML and you have to go through a nest of different links to get to anything. Then you have to start all over again for the next subject. Why they couldn't just give you a nice PDF so that you can download it and have it ion your pc, tablet or phone I'll never know. I want to be able to have a look at the workings of my cameras while out in the wilds and this is just an unusable way to get the info!

Three main functions for recording - normal photo, panoramic photo and movie-mode. Photo and movie mode worked fine but each time I tried to do the panoramic I only managed to get round 180 degrees before it finished. I'm not sure even a superhero could get a spin on the full 360 degrees before the recording stopped!

There are a myriad of exposure functions - you can have I - Intelligent Auto which does all of the exposure settings automatically, the P - Program setting which is auto exposure but you can adjust some of the settings, or Picture Effect (Toy, Pop, Part or Soft High-key) which give you different vivid or warm or subdued colours depending on your preference for this particular shot. Lastly there is the Scene mode which allows you to have one of 11 different scene selections: Soft Skin, Portrait, Landscape, Night Portrait, Night Scene, High Sensitivity, Gourmet, Pet, Beach, Snow, Fireworks!

You can view with or without gridlines in your viewfinder and with or without all of the details of your shots. Also after each picture there will be a display of the shot with a recap of the F stop aperture and shutter speed used (if that's you bag - it work for me!)

This camera ticks a number of boxes for me. If you want a camera which is decent quality and you can carry around anywhere without it putting a severe dent in your pocket (either by size & weight or cost) then this should be a serious contender. I would have liked to have given this camera 4 1/2 stars but decided on 5 just cos I like the funky purple colour. A hit for me!