Format: Blu-ray|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 April 2014
"Some of this actually happened" boast the beginning of this fictional film set in the sepia world of the seventies American (last century). 'American Hustle" presents us with the story of ingenious Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale), who, along with his coy and sexy, as well as imaginative "British" partner/lover Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams) is forced to work for a FBI agent trying to prove himself (Bradley Cooper). It's all low cut dresses, pawnbrokers, mafia and martini drinking. All very classy and charming and enchanting, funny, and occasionally hilarious, no less.

"American Hustle" is full of dazzling performances of an eccentrically dressed cast. I loved the Silver Linings Playbook [DVD], such an effortless and brilliant movie. "American Hustle" was promising and had that chaos and creativity and an amazing ensemble of actors (I cannot praise enough the cast, and I would give all of the 5 stars for each and every single one of them), alas, the film had something missing to make it great. Seriously though, my attention was distracted with the admiration for all the performances, Jennifer Lawrence simply blows your socks off (playing somewhat wild wife of the said FBI agent). Amy Adams is not far behind. "American Hustle" is carried by the leading ladies.

Four stars at least. More films from David Russell, please!
on 18 August 2014
Oh dear! Was more spent on publicity than on the creaking plot? It is a blatant rehash of other plots, the mumbling is dreadful – we had to have the subtitles on - and the kid seems to be speaking Serb0Croat for all we could hear. It is interminably long. Do something more fun. Feed the goldfish or something.
on 20 March 2016
a little disappointing
on 26 October 2014
Worst movie I have ever spent time watching. Those who rated it high must have been watching another version
on 24 August 2015
Not for me I'm afraid
on 22 February 2015
This film is an absolute bore. I completely lost interest after about 30 minutes in and in the end didn't know what was going on. Fails to hold your attention and cannot understand how this film was up for all these awards. Avoid at all costs if your time is precious.
on 28 August 2015
Expected better from this one. It was long and slow, but the feel, clothes and music were evocative of the era. Jennifer Lawrence was the star in my eyes, I did not recognise her initially but she was excellent and carried the film for me. The two main actresses, Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence definitely outclassed the two male actors in my view. Am not a fan of Bradly Cooper and found his portrayal a bit contrived and hammy and Christian Bale's character could have been stronger.

The constant references to hair maybe was an in joke I didn't get and the ice fishing story seemed long and predictable as a vehicle to inject some humour.
on 22 October 2014
Didn't even make the end of the film. How do these boring films get so much critical acclaim?
on 7 October 2014
Great film - massively entertaining ! We like a twist at the end...
on 2 July 2014
Completely over hyped... This film is utter rubbish. Not well acted poor plot and it's really not an enjoyable watch at all. So disappointed, an hour in and it's about to be switched off and returned . Worst film I have seen for a long time.. I can find no positives, even Mr Combover is not funny!