Published 3 months ago by whitedragon

1.0 out of 5 stars American Hustle
Published 5 days ago by Tried and Tested

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything that is truly screwed up about America...and more..., 9 July 2014
This review is from: American Hustle [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
America is as America does. Watching this was like a cross between Starsky and Hutch, LA Confidential and Goodfellas all rolled into one crazy movie, with a top soundtrack to boot. The look, style and feel of this movie alone is enough to suck you in and drag you by the hair through a hedge backwards. The comb over, perm and Elvis look are goofy too. It really is that crazy. But it's just so American it hurts. Sleazy, tacky, egotistical, narcissistic and totally manic.

But at the end of the day this is a comedy. There are 'drama' elements, but they take a back seat. American Hustle shouldn't be taken 'seriously', in the truest sense of the word. This is just a blast. We need to constantly realize what we are witnessing: Everything that is truly great, but screwed up about America. The land of the free gets taken for a ride by a duplicitous con man, who actually comes across as a deadpan but seemingly well intended, plausible character on the surface....

Jennifer Lawrence tops the charts as the dizzy blonde, semi-neurotic, trailer trash, bitter and embattled younger housewife with a deranged kid, whose been ensnared by (the same) over-weight, heart condition I need my pills, con man of a so called husband, one marvelous Christian Bale. Who must have put on at least three stone or more to play the part.

Then we have the smart, savvy, but equally duplicitous lush puppy, butter wouldn't melt, how can you not love me, Amy Adams, Bale's real partner in slime, I mean crime. While they are art wheeling and dealing and making a fortune they are caught by FBI agent in charge, the hilarious Brad Cooper, with his perm, who tries to use them to catch the alleged real criminals - the scheming public officials who have been paid off by mafia. A mysterious sheikh is employed too, to try and catch them all at it. Everyone in the movie seems corrupt in some way. Everyone has an ulterior motive, everyone wants to use everyone else, everyone wants to manipulate everyone else. Who really is the bad guy?

Underneath all the craziness and shenanigans there is actually a story and a plot going on (70s FBI 2 year ABSCAM sting operation). But the plot of the movie seems almost irrelevant to mention, because that's not what we're really watching for. In comes Jerry Renner who plays the Mayor with umpteen kids, who is all family on the outside, but just as corrupt on the inside. It trips over itself in one crazy scene to the next you're left dangling as to who is really trying to con who. But Jennifer Lawrence doing Wing's 'Live and Let die' is right up there... We also get to see the legendary Robert De Niro in a non-credited cameo as mafia's second in command, thrown in for good measure...

You have to understand the mentality of the movie to appreciate it, I can't believe so many on here gave it 1 star, they weren't paying attention, they didn't do their homework and they didn't realize what they were witnessing. Shame on them. Hustle indeed.

1.0 out of 5 stars American Hustle, 20 Oct 2014
Tried and Tested (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: American Hustle [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)
I’d been looking forward to watching this for some months following the numerous nominations and awards that it received earlier this year. Wow, I really wasn’t missing out on anything! I know this is based on a true story and I’m not entirely sure whether it’s supposed to be a drama or a comedy, I didn’t find it to be either. I managed to stick it out for 30 minutes before deciding I had better things to do with my night than force myself through a film that I really wasn’t enjoying, I was quite willing to grab a book and leave my hubby watching it, on the assumption that he was enjoying it, but he declared it a relief that I’d had enough as he couldn’t stand it either.

I have seen a couple of reviews which have said it takes a while to get going and it could be that the second half of the film is better than the start and that I’ve missed a treat by giving up to early but I’d never have made it to the second half of the film, if I’d kept it on I’d have been asleep in no time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Long Too Much Inpro., 7 Sep 2014
Jac Knight (Bucks, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Hustle (DVD)
No wonder this film didn't won any oscars at all, except Jennifer Lawrence's excellent performance. She's spot on capturing the character in a subtle way - amazing how young she is and so versitile with her acting. Didn't like the cast of Amy Adam, she's a good actor over all but not in this film, and her wardrobe - over used the 70s low cut fashion. In summary, the film is far too long and too much inpro with Chris Bale, Cooper and Adam. The story picks up when Lawrence involved... . It would have been a much more interesting story if it were cut down to just 1.30 hrs. Any good story could become boring if it drags on. The director is not a good story teller. It I were 20 years younger I would have liked some other reviewers - walked out of the movie!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected., 24 May 2014
Mr. Leon E. Oldbury "Thriller" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American Hustle [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)
No reflection on the quality of the product which worked well. I was disappointed with the production itself. After all the publicity and hype, I found it to be over complicated and, for the most part, boring. The few good bits in the movie had been concentrated into the trailer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly unimpressive, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: American Hustle [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Yes the story is pretty good, and based on truth to whatever degree. And yes an amazing star cast with the calibre of acting you would expect from them. But I have seen films like this before (some of those were TV movies), this type of movie has been done to death.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHO'S THE MASTER? THE PAINTER OR THE FORGER?, 16 Jan 2014
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: American Hustle [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Irving (Christian Bale)is a con artist. His wife (Jennifer Lawrence) is flaky so he has a mistress Edith (Amy Adams) who helps him in his cons. When she gets pinched by an eager FBI agent (Bradley Cooper as Richie) they are asked to assist the FBI with four arrests and then they would be let go. Irving reluctantly agrees and Edith helps against her better judgement. The plot leads us to Irving being involved in a bust of organized crime figures (Robert De Niro), something that would lead to his demise and that of everyone he loves. He is in over his head. During the film you know everyone is scheming, but who is going to come out on top?

This is another classic con artist tale. It is a crime/thriller/drama/comedy. The acting was superb which made the script look substandard. Amy Irving is perhaps the sexist we have seen her to date. I never miss a film with Jennifer Lawrence who proclaims "Thank God for me." Her role starts out minor but then grows. The ladies room kiss with Amy Adams is something I predict will be on loop.

Seems like a good old fashion con artist film with some fine acting.

Parental Guide: F-bombs. Brief sex. No nudity. Stripper with pasties, most likely Amy Adams body double as face is not shown with nearly bare torso.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: American Hustle (Blu-ray)
I have been waiting to see this film for ages and it really was not worth the wait. I turned it off after 1/2 hour at the first attempt as could not stop myself from nodding off. I tried again a few days later and managed a further 20 minutes before I nodded off again. I have been told that the end is worth waiting for, but after 2 attempts I couldn't care less about the end.

It is very rare that I won't watch a film right through but American Hustle is just plain boring. I really like Bale, he gives it his all in everything he does and no doubt he has done so in this movie, but I just found the characters uninteresting and dull.

I really don't understand the hype, for me American Hustle has not lived up to expectation.

5.0 out of 5 stars I lean't it to several friends who all loved it too, 9 Oct 2014
This review is from: American Hustle [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Fabulous!! But then films are a very personally thing. I lean't it to several friends who all loved it too. It's long and slow in pace so be prepared for that. Best film of the year in my book (bar the Grande Hotel Budapest!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Such A Time, 19 Mar 2014
prisrob "pris," (New England USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: American Hustle [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Have we been hustled by this film? At times I thought so, a little slow going at first, but then it interrupted into a fast paced film that brought excitement. The film was fashioned after the Abscam affair in the late 80's.

"Abscam--sometimes written ABSCAM--was a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) sting operation run from the Bureau's Hauppauge, Long Island, office[1] in the late 1970s and early '80s. The operation initially targeted trafficking in stolen property but was converted to a public corruption investigation. The FBI, aided by a convicted con-man, videotaped politicians as they were offered bribes by a fictional Middle Eastern sheik in return for various political favors. The investigation ultimately led to the conviction of a United States Senator, six members of the United States House of Representatives, one member of the New Jersey State Senate, members of the Philadelphia City Council, the Mayor of Camden, New Jersey, and an inspector for the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service." Wiki

Now we see how this entire affair went down, and what we have is a film with superb characters and acting. Christian Bale is the epitome of the com man, and with his intelligence, Amy Adams, good looks and brain, we have one heck of a scam. The FBI enters with Bradley Cooper as the leader of a group,looking for a couple of good arrests for a fame hungry leader. Jennifer Lawerence as Bale's wife knocks the ball out of the park with her role. Jeremy Renner as the mayor of a New Jersey city, always on the make for his city brings truth and life to his role. Every one in this film out did themselves, believable and so ironic. Can a con man con those in the law? Robert DeNiro plays the second in command of a Florida branch of the Mafia. The hair,and I am not talking about Amy Adams, is so awesome. The clothes of the time, the cars, the homes all a remembrance of things past.

This film was one of the better of the season. If not for 12 Years A Slave,this film would have found the Oscar. Kudos to all.

Recommended. prisrob 03-19-14

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Bad Reviews for a good film, 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: American Hustle [Blu-ray] [2013] (Blu-ray)
Amazingly bad reviews for a good film. It get's 7.4 on IMDB for a reason.
True it's not for everyone, and it demands concentration from the viewer.
There is a good plot (which takes a while to get going and sags in places) some fine performances and a good pay off ending.
I saw it in the cinema and was looking to see it again. However it appears that lots of people appear to have been drawn in by it's awards and nominations and have been left disappointed.
Overall it's a solid 4* but I added a * to compensate for the one * reviews.

American Hustle [Blu-ray] [2013]
American Hustle [Blu-ray] [2013] by David O. Russell (Blu-ray - 2014)