5.0 out of 5 stars Relevant and Remarkable
It was so refreshing to watch a film recently that was fuelled by clear, precise direction by British talent in the likes of Steve McQueen, carried along with a superb ensemble cast and driven by nothing but a hard-hitting and powerful human story. No expansive CGI; no bombastic soundtrack; no plot trying to be too clever; no invincible characters; no controversial and...
Published 20 days ago by Mr. C. Gelderd

3.0 out of 5 stars OK - like many slave stories
OK - like many slave stories, I actually preferred Roots, although this I similar. The book, I found was more gripping.
Published 1 month ago by Chas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 547 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Amazing film, loved it, had to grit my teeth a few times

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 4 July 2014
Couldn't understand the language half the time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 4 July 2014
Clearly a very powerful true story, but didn't feel that it taught me anything I didn't already know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the tissues ready!, 30 Jun 2014
Tracy (Teddington) - See all my reviews
Wonderful. Moving. Brilliantly acted. This is a moving, shocking and, at times, graphically disturbing story. It made me think for days afterwards ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, Touching, Wonderful Film, 29 Jun 2014
Mathew Redfern "matty-r" (Wiltshire, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Normally I don't write reviews, but felt compelled to on this occasion having read some of the poor reviews some have given this film. How anyone can rate this with 1 or 2 stars is beyond my comprehension. Yes at times this film is hard to watch and is very upsetting as it deals with some hard to stomach issues, but sadly they are a part of our history and I feel it's important to keep them as a reminder to learn from the mistakes of the past. It is a very emotional, touching, moving film which I hold up there with the likes of The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile (two of my favourites), maybe not quite on par, but not far off. If you are wondering whether or not to watch this I would implore you to try it, I don't think you'll be disappointed, just have a box of tissues standing by.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but some negative points, 26 Jun 2014
Mr. B. K. Edmunds "Brian_E" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This film clearly gives a flavour for the pure evil that slavery was and is. The barbaric way that some of those involved in the slave trade treated their fellow human beings almost defies belief. I have read some of the diaries of the slaves caught up in this horror and the heinous brutality that they suffered at the hands of their so-called masters was monstrous.

12 Years a Slave brings it all to life and I didn't realise until I watched the film that there were kidnap gangs operating in the north.

The only thing that lets this film down is the rather odd beginning and the (at times) less-than-clear dialogue. Apart from that, it is a very good film, but be prepared to be shocked by some of the violence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic thoughtful film, 24 Jun 2014
An amazingly thought provoking film. Well acted with minimal dialogue. One of the best films I have ever seen, we sat with our adult son silently throughout. We were all massively affected by it.
I would recommend this film to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Longly awaited but slightly disapointed at the long drawn out story line, 23 Jun 2014
Having seen the hype about the film and the book this DVDwas on my to buy list. In my opinion the film was drawn out and didn't live up to the hype. Haven't read the book so am not sure if its any better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Left me feeling I wanted more., 19 Jun 2014
I loved this film, the four stars are just a reflection of the rather abrupt ending and that it left me with a feeling that I wanted to know more of Soloman's life. Sadly the ending was not explored as thoroughly as the rest of the account and, for me, the most important part was added on almost as an after thought. Nonetheless, this is a cracking film and the portrayal of the brutal side of mankind balanced with the need to survive in the face of it is explored very subtly. The postscripts to the film beg an answer to the question of 'What is Freedom?'

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying., 19 Jun 2014
This film was so hyped up that my expectations were high. It was mildly enjoyable but not that wonderful.I'll watch it again though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 547 | Next ›

12 Years a Slave [Blu-ray] [2013]
12 Years a Slave [Blu-ray] [2013] by Steve McQueen (Blu-ray - 2014)
12.99