What is great about this Top 10 guide is that it gives an overview - it provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious - the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid.

The book is very small - the size of a DL envelope...
Published 1 month ago by Mister G

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I've always used full DK guides before and found them perfect. I suppose the nature of a Top Ten book is subjective but for me there were some obvious omissions. I bought this to avoid packing my heavier full copy but would recommend buy the full guide if you want to explore this amazing city
Published 9 months ago by Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel guide but I prefer the paperback version over the Kindle version, 12 Jan. 2015
Mister G (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: New York City: New York City (Kindle Edition)

The book is very small - the size of a DL envelope. Consequently it is easy to carry around, and to put in your pocket. Its weight is very low so it won't weigh on your pocket.

It is divided by area with restaurant reviews for each, plus recommendations for shops, bars and hotels.

It can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'.

I now normally take two travel guides with me - one of these Top 10 ones and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I prefer the paperback version over the Kindle version. I previously bought the Kindle version of a different DK Top 10 Eyewitness travel guide (for the Algarve) because I am a Kindle lover - to my surprise, I found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book.

In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly.

Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

What I am saying is that this is a great book but my personal preference is to buy the paperback version.

5.0 out of 5 stars New York New York - so good they maned it twice!, 26 April 2014
As someone who has not been to New York before, I felt a guide book was the best option, so purchased this to browse whilst we prepare to go. It has excellent pictures and separates everything into excellent areas so you don't have to read it all to find what you want. Informative, inexpensive, very good quality and all part of the holiday experience!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One happy daughter, 12 Mar. 2014
This was a birthday present for my daughter as she is going to New York later in the year. She was very happy with it as she has had these travel guides for ather places

5.0 out of 5 stars Great user friendly guide, 7 April 2014
John Pooley (St Albans, Herts) - See all my reviews
Great guide, enough but not too much information. Consise but detailed. Really usefull way of listing the top ten recommendations for each category of interest.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 May 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars As Expected, 21 April 2014
Excellent guide which contains all that is necessary to plan your trip around New York. A handy size so that it can be carried around to act as reference on the places you wish to see.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great guide book, 28 Nov. 2014
This is a great guide book, we trusted it each night for every restaurant that we went too and it proved to be spot on. It's packed with helpful tips and suggestions.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 16 Dec. 2014
Was ok but I bought it in hope it would help with my trip to new York...it didnt. Google and hotel consierge were enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect guide., 9 Dec. 2014
A perfect guide to explore this great city. It is informative and clearly written, Very easy to follow the maps. LOVED IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Prompt delivery service. Ideal book to guide you round ..., 11 Dec. 2014
Prompt delivery service. Ideal book to guide you round New York, if you don't want to carry anything cumbersome.