4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome world
I really liked this one. I would not call it fantasy romance, because yes there were romance but far at the end. Too many issues before that. So light romantic fantasy, something ;) Cos it sure is not epic fantasy either, not with the whole will they wont they going on.

Published 12 months ago by Blodeuedd

3.0 out of 5 stars Impossible Things
Published 9 months ago by Kirsty at Book - Love - Bug

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome world, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Impossible Things (Paperback)

I liked the world, and the sprinkle of norse words here and there did make it cool. And it does show the difference between places in this world.

First, the Chosen are those with a mark of a Healer, a warrior or a Seer and they learn their trade so to say at a school. Kael is a warrior and now a feared pirate, warlord, but he does it in service of his Emperor. So he is a good guy. Sure he says some wrong things when he first meets poor Ishtear, but he could not even imagine what she has been through.

Ishtaer our heroine, wow, some of the more damaged heroines of late. I did like how it was portrayed, she was broken, she was timid, after years of abuse you do not just snap out of it. Not if you are that broken. So it takes time. Sure she learns the ways fast after it, but hey if you got it you got it. I guess that is how the Chosen work. So I looked through my fingers with that.

The romance comes late. A slow friendship, getting to know each other, living their own lives. The romance is not the focus, no, she needs to find herself. He needs to learn that everyone can't be protected.

My thoughts:
Magic, fighting, a cool world, I do feel that Kate Johnson needs to write about other people in this world. She is on to something here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible Things, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Impossible Things (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
I thought that Kate Johnson's Untied Kingdom was a good book but Impossible Things is even better. I started reading it last night and only stopped when my Kindle gave up - I woke up at six o'clock this morning and didn't get up until I'd finished it. This is a perfect blend of fantasy, action and romance. I hope this is the first of a series because the characters and setting are too good to be just used for one book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Fabulous, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Impossible Things (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
I am a big fan of this author: her heroes and heroines are always a little different and these two are no different.

Kael is a bloodthirsty warlord/pirate, but right from the start he doesn't act it.

Ishtaer is a slave, and utterly powerless. But perhaps not.

This is a stunning fantasy with Kael's people being Norse-ish, and the ruling class being Roman-ish in structure. There is lots of detail in the world-building and supporting characters, and the plot had some utterly unexpected twists - I was in tears at one point.

I am twenty years past the book boyfriend stage, but Ms Johnson writes heroes I can happily dream about. Kael is a very complicated fella with very hidden depths.

A wonderful, well written story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to put down, 16 April 2014
This review is from: Impossible Things (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
Kate Johnson has a way of creating a world totally different from our own but yet, still familiar. Her writing is so beautifully described - that her vivid images leap from the page. She did it with UnTied Kingdom and now she excels herself with Impossible things.

In Impossible things, we are introduced to Kael and a fantasy world full of Pirates and Warlords.

The mysterious Ishtaer appears and Kael is quickly intrigued. It is a very slow burn between them both; as they take their time bonding and ultimately healing each other emotionally.

Ishtaer is a wonderfully strong character. She is blinded, abused and psychically broken- but she is a fighter and doesn't give up easily.

This story has it all: Romance, Mystery, Action, Magic and prophecy. Even if you are not a fan of High Fantasy- reading Kate Johnson's Impossible things will make you one.

I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it. This unique fantasy book is fast paced and full of action. Once you pick it up it is hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic New One from Kate!, 10 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Impossible Things (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
Kate has done it again! Another fantastic book. Beautifully written and as usual, you fall in love with Kael.
A story with so much breadth and passion that I could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 6 April 2014
P. C. Fenton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Impossible Things (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book! Kate Johnson has an amazing ability to create fantasy worlds that are so believable you feel you are there with the characters. There is no effort involved in learning about these new places, the information is seamlessly woven into the story, which makes it a joy to read. Romance, adventure and humour are blended with emotion, despair and magic. I fell in love with the larger than life warlord Kael and wanted to stay with him and Ishtaer among their people. I really hope there is a sequel planned because I’m now longing to read a lot more about the Chosen!

3.0 out of 5 stars Impossible Things, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Impossible Things (Paperback)
I struggled to get into Impossible Things at first - it was based in a world I didn't understand and it just didn't click in those first few chapters for me but as I stuck with it, things became clearer. I must admit after starting to read this a couple of months ago, I stopped a few chapters in and read a handful of other books before returning to my kindle and realising I hadn't finished this. It hadn't captured me early on, but as I continued to read I found myself more and more drawn into the story. By about half way, I was totally and utterly immersed.

Johnson's writing is fantastic and allows you to see the scenery in your mind as you read. ChocLit books are usually jam-packed with romance, almost from the very first page, but this book is different. You always have half an eye on the romance, waiting for it to happen, but it doesn't until quite late on in the book. The focus of this book really is friendship and family and it is packed full of action and mystery.

I had this book as an e-book, and having seen the cover know I come to review it, I feel like I missed out not having the paperback version!

5.0 out of 5 stars A totally believable alternative world, 14 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Impossible Things (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
This book hooked me from the first page. A strange, but totally believable alternative world, a gorgeous hero and a wonderful heroine. What's not to like! I hope Kate writes another book about these characters and their lives. I don't want to lose them..

5.0 out of 5 stars Received as a gift and it was fantastic - I laughed, cried, smiled, 28 Feb. 2014
MultiMum (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Impossible Things (Choc Lit) (Kindle Edition)
It is not often I restart a book within a week of finishing it, but this was one of those times - the storyline grabbed me from the start, the characters (both the two main ones and surrounding ones as well) were interesting and the author used the setting well, so I read it first time round all in one go. There was enough detail about the empire's customs, without turning into a travel guide/lecture and losing the plot! On the reread, I enjoyed it again, and didn't find it dragging, but was able to enjoy the background detail a bit more and pick up on side characters. I would really welcome more in the same vein...fingers crossed! I don't often cry over books, but this one brought the tears on.

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable story, 13 Mar. 2014
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Impossible Things (Paperback)
I must say I was very intrigued by the description of Impossible Things.

Ishtaer is a complete mystery, she is a blind slave who has been treated very badly by her mistress, and she has no memory of any time before her enslavement. Kael Vapensigsson however, is one of the elite Chosen, a warlord whose strength comes from the gods themselves. But despite this, he is plagued by a prophecy that could destroy everything he loves. But when Kael discovers the marks of the Chosen on Ishtaer’s body, their lives are about to become entangled and endangered…

I loved the storyline, I was very intrigued by the idea of the Chosen, warlords and slaves all mixed into one story. I wasn’t sure whether this would be a difficult story to understand but I needn’t have worried as I soon became caught up in what was going on and I was always eager to read on and reach the next part. I really liked the detail included and it helped me picture every scene as I was reading.

I found the characters really interesting, Kate has written them in such a way that I always wanted to know more about them. I really liked Ishtaer, I really felt for her after all she had suffered and been through and I was particularly gripped to her journey throughout the book.

With a mix of action, fantasy and romance, I found I enjoyed every part of it. Impossible Things is a really fresh and exciting story, really unlike anything I’ve read before, and I’m looking forward to hearing more from Kate!

Impossible Things (Choc Lit)