5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and inventive book
When you miss your station on the daily commute because you've got your head totally buried in your Kindle, you know the book you're reading is a good one. With its bitesize chapters, inventive ideas, easy-to-read prose and flowing storyline, Enchantress is such a book, and I can highly recommend it.

Sometimes fantasy books can be a bit of a slog (Lord of the...
Published 23 months ago by Mark Moxon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Fantasy
I like the concept and the realisation of it, human nature gone rampant. There was a little too much blood, gore and hacking and slashing in it for me but the story line was good and if you like to lose yourself in another world this one works well.
Published 15 months ago by Mrs. Sheree Burgess

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and inventive book, 11 Oct 2012
Mark Moxon (London, UK) - See all my reviews

Sometimes fantasy books can be a bit of a slog (Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, I loved you, but yeah, I'm looking at you). Enchantress isn't one of them; the style is more like early Raymond Feist than Shakespeare, and it's all the better for it. Instead of unnessarily long sentences and pages of meandering text, you get a very readable mix of brilliantly inventive ideas, believable characters and a storyline that takes in all sorts of fantasy stalwarts, from quests and battles to woodland folk and murky cityscapes. This is also one of the first fantasy books I've read that contains believable sex scenes; at last, a fantasy author who sounds like he's actually tried it. Bravo! :-)

The book's real strength is the way all the ideas fit together to produce a convincing and immersive world. The book's concept of magic (or 'lore' as it's called) is a great device for generating plot twists, and merging the battle scenes with lore in the form of bladesingers, animators, enchanters and elementalists makes for entertaining reading. Indeed, lore threads its way through the entire plot, from the lethal effects of essence, to the relationship between lore, lexicons and the evil plot at the centre of the book. As you read on, you discover more and more about this well-crafted world, and it's enchanting stuff, if you'll pardon the pun.

I also loved the little quotes at the start of each chapter (all 73 of them!). They range from historical quotes to pearls of wisdom, and while in some books this kind of writing device can be a little irritating and bit twee, I thought they really added to the atmosphere of this one. In particular, the quotes from the Marco-Polo-esque Toro Marossa are great, and even though Marossa isn't mentioned in the book itself, I found myself rather liking the man - and all that from a few snippets of commentary at the start of a handful of chapters. It's all very clever, and it's the myriad little touches like this that make the world of Enchantress so believable.

[Edit: The latest version of the book addresses most of the issues I mention in the next paragraph - there is now an excellent map at the start of the book, and the typos have been cleaned up. It's good to see that the author responds to feedback - bravo.]

If I'm going to nit-pick, I did get lost trying to work out the geography of the world. When setting the scenes for the war that grumbles to life in the first third of the book, I got totally confused about which house was fighting which, and whose borders were to the north of the forts that seemed to be to the west of the... oh never mind. In the end I gave up trying to picture the world's layout and just went with the flow, and although it didn't affect my enjoyment one bit, I did find myself hankering for a map. The Table of Contents is also next to useless, only containing links to the Prologue and Epilogue, and typographically there are some small hiccups (hyphens and en-dashes get a bit mixed up every now and then, and there's the odd wonky apostrophe and incorrect word that the spellchecker clearly got wrong). But this really is me being picky, as trivial things like this disappear in a puff of lore when faced with such a great story.

Like others here, I'm looking forward to the sequel, as the book finishes a little too abruptly and leaves a number of quesions unanswered. Which is the point, I suppose; this is Book One of a Saga, and you've got to leave the reader wanting more... which I do.

Bring on Book Two, I say. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 4 Jan 2013
I purchased this book after reading reviews and for less than a pound I honestly never expected much from it. I was however astonished when it turned from a cheap book to pass the time into one of the best books I've read in a long time. It has everything from a mystery surrounding orphaned children it turns to a fantasy thriller. I couldn't put this book down as I had to know what happened to each of the characters. This book draws you in from the very beginning and has you hooked, I'm off now to buy the sequel .

5.0 out of 5 stars A spell-binding fantasy romp, 31 July 2012
Enchantress by James Maxwell is a fantastic romp through a mystical land full of an evil emperor, magical enchanters and fantastical soldiers called "the bland singers". First let me be honest I do not think that the synopsis pf the novel does much in explaining the sheer depth of the novel. By reading the synopsis, you instantly know about Killian and of course Ella. You might be forgiven in having misjudged the story, as I myself did, that it will be a romance hidden by a fantasy element. However, the romance is only a small part of this multi-faceted novel. I was impressed with the way that each character stands alone, each character has strength, a weakness and a point to further the plot and yet each intricately involved with the other.

I am going to be honest. The only reason I downloaded this book was that it was free. That was the only reason and I am glad I did it. This is one of the hidden gems in the kindle e-book world. At the beginning of the book, you are introduced to Ella as only the flower girl who dreams of being an enchantress, then the story starts to evolve, and blossom as her friend the wife of the high lord is found dead and murmurs of war start to surface.

The plot follows Miro, her brother who dreams of being a blade singer, as he fights the war, gaining land, being tested and losing a friend due to not letting die (in a round a bout way). You cheer as he wins and your heart aches, as he loves a girl who has had to marry and as he faces the true horrors of war and that, it is not as glamorous being a blade singer as he first came to believe. The other plot is that of Ella. A girl who is blossoming into a beauty who has an amazing ability with enchantments who falls for the thief Killian which causes a book, the powerful artefact of their race, to be stolen and for Ella along with a girl called Layla from a different race that does not like Ella's kind to track him down and get the book back.

It is very well written and each character has both strengths and flaws that make you angry with them, or annoyed. I do not think of this as bad. One flaw of Ella's her sheer inability to deal with what she did wrong and so to go into a sort of coma is annoying, you want her to grow some balls and face up to things. However, it adds to her character it adds to the realism.

There is only one small quirk that sometimes bugs me and it is the way that sometimes it jumps from p.o.v per each chapter. One minute it is Ella; the next Miro. It does not distract from the overall spectacular story telling but with the amount of characters and some of the highly unpronounceable names can make things a little confusing. In the book, James Maxwell tries to explain the house system, the lands and who does what. He tries to show how vast the world is but sometimes, in my opinion, makes the reader get a little lost before finding their way back again. However, this does not affect the story or the sheer enjoyment I found from reading this book.

That is why I would definitely recommend this book. It takes you away from the humdrum of every day life and takes you on an adventure that seems so realistic you can identify with it. This is definitely a book that makes me want to read more, to see what happens next and if the characters grow anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Richness and depth to match LotR and GoT... but with better pace, and equally good characters and plot., 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Enchantress (The Evermen Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book while looking for another series to rival Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones. It's almost too much to say, but yes I think the Evermen Saga rates up there with the best fantasy books ever written. If you haven't discovered James Maxwell yet, then you're in for a treat. A word of caution: the first third of the book "Enchantress" is a bit slow, and sometimes reads like teenager fantasy fiction (it overstates the emotions, without enough subtly or nuance), but stick with it because I promise that once you're into it, the pace picks up, as does the quality and you're in for an amazing read. I was so hooked, that I'm now on book 3 in as many days.

What makes this series spectacular is the depth and richness of the world that James Maxwell has created. The different 'Houses' in this new world each have a different culture, geography and way of using magic. "Essence" (like our oil) is essential for the magic to work, and the great war between the nations is won and lost through the boldness, ingenuity and courage of those who use essence, but also those who know how to fight without it. The characters are brilliant, and compared to GoT the pace is quicker and much better.

My only advice - don't make the mistake that I did, and download all the others books in one in go, and then start reading the blurb. The product description for books 3 and 4 basically contain spoilers which ruined the plot for me as they told me key information that had happened in the previous books. James Maxwell, if you're reading this, please change the blurb so as not to spoil it for the readers!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Fantasy, 28 Jun 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Okaaaaay, 16 Mar 2013
A bit simplistic to begin with - and I wondered if this was solely a teens book - but it picked up towards the end. So, on balance, okay - and I will probably go for the next one in the series. I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Riveting Book, 8 Dec 2013
I found this book very hard to put down until the end.
A great story line incorporating robust characters,looking forward to reading book 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Enchantress (The Evermen Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is the first time I have read a book of this genre and I am totally hooked. My question to my boyfriend after we shared lunch, and also as our day came to an end and we were settling for sleep for the past week, has been, shall we see what's happening with miro and Ella? But I have to confess, some days I couldn't wait till we were together and I read allowed. Some days I read quietly, alone, and retold the story in haste once he had come home and I was able to resume the joint venture. The story pulled us in, we laughed, we cried and at some points were horrified along with the characters. I don't know what more to say except thank you for the journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic fantasy at its best, 15 Jan 2013
I've been reading a lot of free kindle books lately and ploughing through a lot of first novels. This one is much, much better than any of the others I have read.

We have two main characters brother and sister Miro and Ella, he is a born warrior she the Enchantress of the title. The story mainly switches from one of their viewpoints to the other (with a few switches to other important characters). All of these switches are handled well. There isn't the pointless build up to a climax and then switch that you find in a Terry Brooks book but rather a necessary few chapters of one viewpoint and then a chance to see more of the world from another perspective.

And what a world we learn about. This story has been written by someone who has thought at length about the magic system and the repercussions it has on the whole society. Each character, city and situation is clearly described and each page kept me glued and eager to read the next.

I wholly endorse this author

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good story., 6 Feb 2014
Peter Miller (Sudbury, Suffolk United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I had read the first of the Muirwood stories which was quite good but did lack something. So I tried Enchantress. I can say that this is a much better book. The characters are stronger and their actions grip more.
The adventures are more exciting, the action is stronger. The characters seem more real. While the very early chapters may drag a little the action and tensions builds.
There are two interconnected threads to the book. The Enchantress tying to revoer a stolen book and her brother becoming a soldier and progressing up the ladder.
VERY VERY GOOD!

Enchantress (The Evermen Saga Book 1)