4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch. Here's a list of apps I use.
This is currently the best value for money smart watch out there.
Published 5 months ago by D. M. Bolton

3.0 out of 5 stars lots of potential
I use my Sony smart watch on a daily basis for my commute to work, it's primary use for me is to control the Walkman and spotify apps on my xperia z1.The battery life is good 2-3 days for me . I also like the fact you can read your emails (only text) and texts. The controls for both music players are a little fiddly and you have to have the music playing on the phone...
Published 12 months ago by Damian

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch. Here's a list of apps I use., 29 July 2014
This is currently the best value for money smart watch out there.
I am now able to read my text messages and reply with 10 preset messages on the fly, answer or reject calls on my wrist with the ability to answer on speaker phone using a button on the watch (really good if you don't have bluetooth in your car), you can also receive messages from apps such as whatapps, line, weechat etc. I've also managed to get google maps directions sent to me in real time which is really good when you're traveling and don't want to draw unwanted attention to your self with your expensive smart phone. You can also get all your reminders sent from your calender which is quite useful. You can even use your watch as a view finder and as a remote for your camera apps.
I did a lot of research on smart watches currently available and found that watches are still at their very early stages of development. Galaxy Gear watches are quite expensive and although probably easier to use straight from the box, benefiting from higher spec, and having a camera, IR blaster and built in speaker phone and mic; they are quite limited in terms of apps available for them since they have been updated to Tizen.
Sony watch already has about 250 apps and since Sony have released a firmware update are now a lot quicker and run more smoothly.
I use my watch with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and have had no problems with the bluetooth connection dropping. The battery life of the watch is between 3 to 5 days and take about 30 minutes to an hour to charge. Even the standard black strap is not bad although some people have complained but I really like it and others have complimented me on my watch lol. Another good thing is that my phone battery life has increased greatly because I don't have to use my phone screen very often.
One thing I would say about this watch that might put people off is that it can be a bit technical to set up at first to receive your notifications.
I use these apps:
Call Handling Pro (paid about £1.20) allows you to reject calls with a message and answer call with speaker phone button on watch - great for in the car.
Messaging from Sony (free) about to receive messages and respond with 10 preset messages that you are able to edit from your phone.
Music player from Sony (free) good for in the car.
Smart Camera from sony (free)
Calender and Calender Reminder from Sony (free)
SmartWatch2 Notifer Pro (paid about £1) This app lets you get notifications from other apps. It's less complicated to set up because it will display all notifications until you mute them instead of you having to select them from a list of hundreds of apps.
Toggles (Paid) Allows you to turn on and off 4G, Wifi, Wireless hotspot and phones profile modes. Great if you only want to receive text messages while at work as you can just turn off the internet and you will have less distracting notifications from facebook.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3rd time lucky?, 6 Oct 2013
Andreas Iacovou (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I was unfortunate enough to own the first two Sony smartwatches (this is the 3rd generation) so my expectations were quite low for this one and I only got it because it came delivered free with my Xperia Ultra Z.

I must say, Sony have really upped their game since splitting from Ericsson. This is a cracking device.

Some thoughts:

-It looks and feels premium. Previous versions looked like toys and were a little embarrassing to wear, this is fantastic
-Battery life is superb - I am charging every 4days - not bad when you compare the Galaxy Gear needs a daily charge
-The time displays permanently, big difference on previous version
-Easily add your own strap to add a bit more class
-Not many apps yet but those that are available and optimised for this version work well
-So easy to set-up using NFC, it really works well
-Came with no cables or charger so you have to supply your own - what's that all about??

I have to say I find myself wearing the watch on a daily basis while at work and love the fact that my phone can stay in my pocket and only come out when I actually need to reply to a message /email or browse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a question of expectations, 12 Mar 2014
Clearly some owners have purchased this device without really understanding what it is? When this occurs false expectations lead to disappointment. Before you purchase ensure you understand what this device does and does NOT do.

As an accessory to ones mobile in terms of notifications its a brilliant concept. I owned the Samsung Galaxy Gear for three months. I waited for the gear rather than purchase the already available Sony SW2 as I wanted the voice activation applications or so I thought.

Having owned the SG Gear I found speaking into a watch to take a call very embarrassing also others can hear what you are saying. I had NOT factored this into my expectations when waiting for the Gear. Believe me speaking to ones wrist in the middle of the street or supermarket is a very odd experience. Not for ME BUT others may not mind this? Just reminded me of when I was a child seeing the local idiot speaking to his wrist watch pretending to be chatting to some one? Creeped me out lol.

The Gear is a superior device in several ways, the quality of the body, the speed of operation, the sensitivity of touch are better than the Sony. There are some real bloopers with the Gear though, the strap has problems in that the clasp is of the cheapest type available on a watch, water, even sweat, enters the camera and mists up the camera lens. IN comparison the Sony is lighter, the strap is an awful lot more practical also replaceable.

The Sony is water resistant to a small degree so no need to remove it when washing hands. Rain should also prove no problem. I strongly suggest the prospective purchaser of the Sony to READ the manual as the watch is NOT water proof and cannot be used in a swimming pool as the chemicals will affect the seals, also it should not be taken into a shower as chemicals from soap and shampoo may also degrade the small amount of IP this device has. The Gear mk11 has improved in this respect also.

The body of the Sony is made from actual aluminium so is light. The body is also black anodised and its too early yet to see how tough this process will be. I have a fear that if scratched the silver will show though making any mark look highly visible, time will tell?

The crystal, the watch glass, is made from glass it feels and 'sounds' like plastic, it is certainly NOT tough and a screen protector will be needed even though this is very odd on a watch. It will not tolerate tough handling.

The apps' available for the Sony are good. Far more selection that the Gear. The other very important factor with the Sony is it will work with most other Android phones with the relevant OS running. The gear will only work with a few Samsung mobiles rendering it a highly specialised device not to mention three times the cost of the Sony at RRP!

I have purchased the brown leather strap for the Sony and hope this will enhance the aesthetics of the watch. I like the Silicon strap but prefer the looks of the leather. The Sony has a watch face permanently on so one can see the time all the time, the Gear face turned off after some seconds so to see the time one needed to touch the side button of flick ones wrist.

In all providing one understand the pluses and minuses of these devices the Sony is a very decent watch-mobile phone accessory. The batter time is three times longer than the Gear and MUCH easier to charge, the Gear having its own charging cradle. The Sony can be plugged into a Sony charger or a PC directly into the watch itself.

To date I like the Sony. It does what I expect it to do and does it fairly well. The Sony touch screen is not as responsive as the Gear and some times the Sony will need a couple of touches for the app' to open. The Sony is also slower and does not function as smoothly as the Gear. I have found the apps' for the Sony better than the Gear though. The Sony operates more like a mini mobile phone does and I like that aspect.

If you read the reviews and take in a few Youtube clips to ensure you understand what you are buying I think you will find the Sony a decent watch at this price level. It is not a Rolex or some other watch costing several thousands so we need to be realistic in our expectations.

As time progresses I will add to this. BTW its cheaper to buy from Amazon,de than the UK site.

UPDATE 27 04 14 Having lived with the Sony now for a some time I can safely update my initial rating from 4 to 5 stars. After several regular Sony updates this watch is simply superb value for money and for me it is highly functional. I have installed several apps and the Note app is invaluable to me. The wall paper has been updated to 4.4 and the software in general is now much better than it was upon initial purchase. AS a warning device for calls, emails notifications etc it simply does its job in a very professional manner. As an accessory to my phone collection its proving an invaluable addition. I can't write that about all the techno things I purchase.
I highly recommend this watch and for ME that takes some doing! I just hope the watch continues to function this well. Time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it a watch? is it a phone? It is much more!..., 8 April 2014
This watch is everything and more that I expected it to be! Just the right amount of heft to sit comfortably on your wrist and not look or feel like it's the '90s tacky digital wrist watch. The watch cones with basic features like alarm and stop watch. More application extensions can be downloaded from Google play and on to your phone. And all the malarkey about having to plug that in your computer or tablet isn't necessary. Just swipe it near your phone with the pre-installed extension and voila! The watch picks up the app! New apps are being developed almost regularly, so the potential of this product is awesome. Besides the usual like text messages, social network updates and caller list ( pretty nifty, with a Bluetooth headset, you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket) there are apps like music player and runtastic, which makes it quite useful. You can also choose from half a dozen watch faces to suit the occasion or your mood. Well worth every penny. Only drawback? It can't compile text messages ( or cook, or be a superhero). If you like your gadgets, you will love this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparative review of the SmartWatch 2, 20 Oct 2013
If you're thinking about the Sony SmartWatch 2 then you're probably also thinking about the alternatives such as the Pebble or the Samsung Galaxy Gear. Having taken them all for a spin, here is what I have found...

The SONY SmartWatch 2 (see The (Unofficial) Sony SmartWatch 2 Book) does everything the Pebble does (see The (Unofficial) Pebble SmartWatch Book)... but in colour, and with an intuitive touch-screen interface. This matters if you're using something like the third-party GPS Maps app for the Sony that shows your current location on the smartwatch screen. But if you want to receive message notifications from your iPhone, you will still need the Pebble rather than the Sony because the Sony only pairs with Android 4.0+ smartphones.

The Samsung Galaxy Gear (see The (Unofficial) Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch Book) does a lot more than the Sony because it has a camera, a speech interface, and a mic / speaker to conduct a telephone conversation via your wrist. But it costs twice as much (or more) and currently only works with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone.

The bottom line:

If you have an iPhone, choose the Pebble.
If you have or want a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, choose the Samsung Galaxy Gear.
In all other cases, providing your smartphone runs Android 4.0 or higher, choose the Sony SmartWatch 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch it mate!, 11 Nov 2014
If you want to get into smart watches, a second hand (there's a pun there somewhere) SmartWatch 2 is the way to go. I'd say it's superior to the SmartWatch 3, mainly because it can use standard 24mm watch straps and the case is better looking. Buy one cheap and marvel at what it can do compared to a Seiko or Citizen chronometer of the same price.

I will not discuss functions in depth as other reviews here already do a very good job but I would say the display has good resolution, the processor is fast enough and some of the apps are truly impressive! (Try the GPS map app, the Rain Alarm app and, for sheer geek exhibitionism, the 'chrome' type browser). Battery life is also better than I expected. I'm using it paired to a Sony Xperia Z Ultra and almost all the apps I've tried so far, work (The exception being Facebook and that might be me rather than the app) I'm often separated from my phone by a few feet or meters and the smartwatch bridges this gap nicely.

I would love to see the same design in stainless steel or titanium with a display that runs up to the edge of the case, gorilla glass, more efficient processor and the same induction charging as the Z Ultra, because it's already very good and it could be excellent!

I'll update this review when I sort out the Facebook app...

Update: Facebook now working. Battery life is 3 to 4 days..I'm still very happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Looking Watch With A Better Future, 12 Dec 2013
Got the SmartWatch 2 SW 2 free with my Sony Xperia Ultra Z which made it a bargain offer. It's a bit gimmicky to be honest, fun at the start but after a while you are more frustrated by what it can't do than what it can do. That said it is clearly a technology in its infancy that will have a future once the hardware catches up with the software. As for the watch itself when connected by Bluetooth it shows you incoming and missed calls, text messages, emails, Facebook and Twitter updates, etc. but only in limited ways. It won't replace having to refer to your phone. However it is handy for seeing incoming calls, especially if you have a large phone or are disinclined to take the phone out in public.

Be warned though, heavy use via Bluetooth will drain your battery on both the watch and your phone.

All that said it's the only wristwatch I've ever had that people pass remarks on or inquire about. I was surprised by just how many people recognised it as a smartwatch. There is an obvious buzz out there about these things. So if you like your tech or a bit of attention you won't be disappointed... ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revolutionary Watch, 14 Jan 2014
My grandson advised me to go digital for buying a new watch. Having trawled the websites and shops for a new watch with no success I followed his advice. This is so different and so refreshing in design and potential. Its stunning..
It looks big. But lay your existing watch alongside and its dimensions will be the same, You can choose your watch face, digital or traditional
options. This is its strongest appeal for me.
But it also links to your phone. Download the SmartWatch apps to your phone and the watch and phone interact. You can use your NFC to initiate the files .I can review contacts,email, messaging, music and the social media sites on the watch. It warns you of incoming and missed calls. You can play games on the watch. Just remember that the watch is a way of keeping in touch with with your phone without having to take it out of your bag or pocket. It is touch screen watch. It uses Bluetooth to connect. Charging is done by a micro USB connection. Don't expect the same performance on the SmartWatch as you would on you SmartPhone, but enjoy the contact between the two.Grandson loves it!

5.0 out of 5 stars third times a charm sony. .., 9 Aug 2014
As an owner of the dreadful sony live view, I wanted a simular unit that actually worked properly, and this seemed to be the best choice of smartwatch taking into account price/performance and battery life.
I bought this mainly for controlling my phone whilst out cycling/running or walking. It is really good for this purpose, and a lot of others.

Setting it up is a breeze thanks to nfc, just tap the watch on your phone's nfc sensor and you are handheld through the pairing and setup of the watch, very impressive and quick.
The screen is a joy to behold, it uses a transflective tft that is always on. When it's in the battery freindly low power mode it displays a sharp black and white image that is very readable, even in bright sunlight. A press of the single button on the side brings up the full colour touch enabled interface, which is very responsive.
Battery life is pretty good, it easily goes for 2 days between charges with moderate use. If you don't use it constantly I have no doubt it will last 3-4 days.
Apps are a mixed bag, there are loads on the play store, but only a few worth using. I use the Sony rss app to give me BBC news alerts, along with an android wear style notification app that let's you feed any apps notification to the watch, a remote viewfinder for the camera and a spiffy weather app. There are also apps that toggle stuff on your phone and even a gps app that displays a map on your wrist.
The included runtastic app is a nice freebie.
There are many watch faces available and the Sony software allows you to customise most of them, which is nice.
Importantly, it still works as a watch when untethered from your phone, unlike sonys previous efforts.
It reconnects fine if you stray to far from the phone, and the connection is rock solid, again, unlike sonys dreadful past efforts.
It says it's ipv7 water resistant, so it's ok for rain and the odd dunk, but I wouldn't go swimming with it.
So overall, I love this little device, Sony finally did a smartwatch right.
One little niggle, I got next day delivery guaranteed, but it took 48 hours to arrive, couldn't be arsed to take amazon up on it though. UPDATE: I got an auto-refund on the postage, so top marks to Amazon and the seller for being honest and fair.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, and useful, 29 Jan 2014
Marie (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I got this as part of a package with a Z1, and wasn't sure if I'd really use it. But in the 2 months or so that I've had it, I've really come to find it a useful tool.

First of all, it looks OK on the wrist. Not small, but not too bulky, ugly, or toy-like. Then as for functionality, yes it does take a bit of setting up and tweaking, but once I'd installed all the apps I wanted, especially a notifications app, it now functions pretty much exactly as I want it to. It sends me only the messages that I want to know about, shows me who's calling, and lets me review enough text to decide what messages I need to respond to. The "torch" (white screen) feature is unexpectedly useful, too - I find myself using it often rather than turning lights on at home. Overall, the screen is good enough - not up to mobile phone screen standard, but you're not reading much on it, so it's perfectly good for the purpose. Being able to read the date / time in daylight without waking it up is useful, too. Battery life is fine, too - I get about 4 days between charges, which is acceptable given how frequently I have to charge everything else I use.

The Sony-provided apps are generally good. Some of the third-party apps on the store are sub-standard, and some are just toys, really (being able to operate the camera from the watch is cool, but a pretty niche use case). But for the primary purpose of the device, it works well for me. Future versions will no doubt add better screens, activity tracking and more toys, but for now I think Sony has done a good job with this.