on 3 October 2014
It is what is missing that is the problem. No bluetooth, not network connectivity, no NFC/Tap circuitry which means it it harder to use with phones that do not have a removable memory card. The instruction manual is too brief.
However, once you find that USB connectivity is there many problems are solved.
Do not buy it if you think you want to change print size often, you will be disappointed. I really just want postcard size photo-quality prints and this it does superbly. HDR prints in particular come out well.
You can change print size to smaller cards and stickers but this involves changing the ribbon as well so is best avoided.
Although print cost seems high it is not much worse than high street print services and the convenience is the selling point.
Overall worry is that the consumables (combined packs of paper and ribbon) are very bespoke and may go out of production.
on 19 May 2014
There are many times you wish you had a "standard" print of a favourite photo but don't want to go to the bother of firing up your inkjet system when you consider the costs involved.
Well this is the answer - no ink - east to use and excellent quality.
You can even do your passport pictures in a jiffy, so well done Selphy!
on 27 January 2015
Love it, love it, love it! It's just a shame that Canon don't make one that prints bigger sizes. The size of the printer is great - so small, light and compact. The speed and quality is truly amazing for the price of the unit. I did notice that the first 3-5 prints had 2 very faint vertical lines running down them but this has completely cleared up now so I assume that it was simply a bit of something on the ribbon.

Note Apple Aperture users! I tried printing directly from Aperture and the images came out a little unsharp. Most amateurs and general users might not notice/care but it wasn't the sharpness I'd seen from my friends much older Selphy printer. I found that exporting the images as Jpeg's from Aperture and then printing them, sorted this issue out.

Colours are bright and vibrant & the blacks are so deep, rich and consistent - I would happily say that it's giving me better, more consistent results than prints that I was getting from hight street printers.
on 28 December 2014
i bought this for my wife as a xmas gift however on opening it we found that it contains no ink and this has to/be bought separately and costs about half as much as the printer itself. AMAZON you need to make it clear that this does not contain any ink at all
on 7 November 2015
Once you get over the nervousness of handling the cartridges which technically have light sensitive contents that you might ruin if you expose them to light (showing my age), this is a doddle to set up and use. The cartridges are actually very simple to insert, and if you mess up trying to put them in the slot, you just try again, you WILL NOT expose them fatally to light, so relax. The menu is like a lot of other menus, hooray for universal icons and protocols, so you'll figure out easily how to use it. The picture quality is actually really good, and it's easy to change between passport photo and 6x4 modes. Great little product. Ofc ourse they make their money from the carts and the paper, but what did you expect?
on 26 May 2015
Great way to print photos and so easy to use. Takes memory cards and memory sticks. Make sure not too many photos on the cards/sticks as can take a while looking through and selecting them all. I personally choose all the photos I want on the computer, put on a memory stick and print off from there. This is the basic model and good enough for me. There are ones with wifi, but they're more money and not something I need. Screen for viewing photos is a little small, so hense my method of selecting the photos. Hope this helps you all.
on 25 April 2014
The Selphy printer arrived on time, however it did not even have a sample quantity of ink and paper. So these then had to be ordered separately, an additional delay. It then worked satisfactorily, print quality is good. But a common problem, it will not work with a Linux operating system. It will only work from a camera memory card, but not if this is formatted by a computer! That is according to the booklet with the printer. So all the camera images held on our computers are not available to print. It seems that to use this printer we have to set up a computer especially for it, with a 'buggy' insecure and obsolete operating system. Or buy an Apple computer with its limited and 'tied down' software. An expensive computer for which we would have no other use. For this reason it is not as good a buy as it could be, hence only 3 stars. R. Lebar.
on 24 April 2014
It is an update of my earlier Selphy printer which served me well for just over five years, so another of the same name was chosen.
on 25 August 2014
This printer was bought for my wife. She loves it and is fascinated how each photo is generated. Excellent colour saturation, She's happy so I'm happy!
on 1 November 2014
Product not what its made out to be. You cannot get the ink or paper seperatly for this printer. Canon only sells ink/paper kit combinations. This is all very well but you tend to end up with paper left over after ink has run out leaving you with excess paper you cant use. To me this tends to be a bit of of a con. Print quality is fairly good however but overall not impressed.