Format: Amazon Video|Change

on 25 September 2012
Armageddon, a film released back in 1998... a film that, in my view, is probably one of the best films of all time!! Honestly, that is my first port of call here - I really and truly love this film.

The plot centres on an asteroid "the size of Texas" that has been discovered by NASA. It isn't long before NASA officials realise that there are only 18 days until the Earth's "total" destruction ie. Armageddon.
So, in all their wisdom, NASA send the world's best drillers to space... who are in fact a bunch of roughnecks, led by Harry Stamper in a very good performance from Bruce Willis. The subplot focuses on A.J. Frost (unfortunately!), played by Ben Affleck, who is trying to marry Harry's daughter, Grace, played in a rousing performance by Liv Tyler.
In between all of this, you have a wonderful blend of action, suspense, comedic effect and heartbreak. Seriously, at the film's end, some of you will shed a tear or two!

The film does have some drawbacks. I suppose, the most notable of these is that there is no real sense of danger while the drillers are on the asteroid. Watch the film and you shall see what I'm getting at here... some legendary comedic moments here! Still, sadly, I reckon that's what turns many people away from this film for good...

Anyhow, onto the Blu Ray quality.

Picture: 9/10. There is a lovely improvement in the picture quality over the DVD here. In particular, you should find the 'Meteor Shower' scenes extremely satisfactory; they are splendid in HD! Apart from that, the picture is simply more crisp and sharp now... but an improvement over the DVD all the same.

Sound: 8/10. I would give the sound an 8 simply because I wasn't too sure at all about the quality in some spots of the film. Overall though, it isn't too much of a problem and I would genuinely ask that you do not take my word for that in the slightest. A solid transfer, overall!

To conclude, Armageddon is, for me, one of the best films of all time and was an exemplary upgrade to Blu Ray over DVD. However, there was one flaw that I did notice with my version. It concerns scenes I recall from the DVD that were not here on this Blu Ray release... so that is worth noting, I feel. This Blu Ray release may not be the full cut... either way, it isn't a big issue.

Buy it. Enjoy.

Thanks for reading this. I hope it helps.
on 26 October 2012
This is a film never gets old and one you can always enjoy.

A very heart warming story and great enviroments.
on 29 October 2003
This DVD is a msut for all fan of Willis who have not yet purchased these four films, but it also offers a lot to just movie-fans in general. All four films are worth getting on DVD and are neatly and handily packaged in a DVD box set. All four are arguably some of Willis' best films, and a re certainly the four that have been box office hits with the paying public.
The Sixth Sense was simply a cinema master-piece and really revieved Willis from a grey patch in his career. The plot, the storyline and the introduction of a young Hayley Joel Osmon make a movie which delivers so much and leaves you on the edge of your seat right till the end. The twist was spectacular and really was a brilliant film from start to finish. Unbreakable was from the same director and in a subtle way, the same kind of film with a 'big and shocking twist' as the finale. Even though it was still an exciting thriller it lost the edge that sixth sense had via losing the originality. For me Armaggedon is a great film, even though it rates high on the cheese factor it's a powerful tear-jerker that has the pulse racing as Willis and his team are sent to drill a hole into an astroid to save all of mankind. Not only that but there is able support from Ben Affleck and Billy Bob Thorton, plus a great sound-track from Aerosmith. Finally a true cinema classic with Die Hard...Bruce Willis fights crime with a white vest and gets down and dirty to save lives and look out for himself at the same time.
All in all, for just over twenty pounds, this is a great bargain and a great chance to own some cinema classics.
VINE VOICEon 14 February 2011
The summer of 1998 was mostly unremarkable, with the majority of films failing to impress. The overblown Godzilla was a humongous letdown, as was Armageddon's rival Deep Impact. Armageddon came out champ of the summer season (along with Saving Private Ryan, Lethal Weapon 4, and There's Something About Mary). But none of these films managed to push past $217 million, which would be absolutely unthinkable now, inflation or not.

Despite the relatively low box office returns (just a smidgen over $200 million), the marketing machine for Armageddon was in our faces everywhere, and I feared it might burn-out audiences before release. I know I felt a little cynical when I went into the cinema that day, my expectations very low.

I've said before that Michael Bay does himself no favors. The man knows how to make a blockbuster, but he's utterly clueless when it comes to making a good film. Armageddon is the only film in his entire resume that I find watchable and entertaining, though he still should have held back some scenes (the notorious animal cracker love scene really should have been dropped).

A big boulder of iron ferite hurtles through space, knocking smaller meteors toward Earth (thinking of breaking a frame on a pool table). NASA recruits immature oil driller Harry Tasker and his band of roughnecks to go into space and nuke the comet before it ends all life our little blue planet. With an 18-day countdown it's going to be very, very close.

Although it took a total of 18 writers to staple the screenplay together, Armageddon succeeds in almost every area where Deep Impact failed, plus more. The soap opera is kept to a minimum while the action is ramped up, delivering one hair's-breadth escape after another, all to the sound of Trevor Rabin's amazing score, which the life blood of the movie. The huge cast of fine actors, the SFX, and the action would all be significantly inferior without Rabin's soaring tunes, which turn many of the key scenes into wordless music videos of visual storytelling.

That's not to say that the acting isn't notable. As a matter of fact, Bruce Willis is surprisingly effective, as is Will Patton, who rarely gets a decent role in mainstream movies. Though, as with Con Air a year before, Steve Buscemi owns every scene he's in (tying with Peter Stormare). Just ignore the horribly miscast Ben Affleck whenever he appears. He's the only real weak link of the movie, to the point where you ought to switch off during his screen-time.

As the only truly exciting blockbuster of the 1998 summer season, Armageddon defines a lackluster year, and elevates Michael Bay's classless resume. It's exciting, colorful entertainment, and none-the-worse for it.
on 2 September 2012
Armageddon is the granddaddy of all disaster movies ever made - as far as I'm concerned that is - it was also the highest grossing film in the world in 1998 and deservedly so. With a terrific soundtrack that included the iconic Aerosmith song I don't wanna miss a thing and an engaging film script brought to us by the highly talented Jerry Bruckheimer and Michael Bay I can never get enough of the film, despite the cheesy one liners!!

Thrills, spills and spectacular action scenes help keep this movie chugging along at a fair pace and even the slower scenes are well delivered, the great cast help with this. I'm not ashamed to say I even had a lump in my throat once or twice, I just lost myself in the story and went along for the ride.

The picture transfer is excellent and on the whole it doesn't miss a beat. Crisp and clear the video transfer is a real winner but if anything could surpass the video clarity then it's the DTS transfer that left me speechless. Loud, vibrant and shockingly good this is one film you'll want to play time and time again just for the audio track alone!
Adrenaline junkies will love this film and to be fair it has a little of something for everyone.
on 6 November 2015
BRILLIANT, Bruce Willis at his 'in your face' best! The characters are fantastic, very funny in parts, very exciting in others and with an ending that rips the heart out of you. Can't recommend highly enough. Great action, edge of the seat excitement, great effects. Excitement, fear, humour and emotion all in one great package. A MUST SEE movie. I watch this over and over and never tire of it. One of my all time favourites.
on 22 February 2013
This is an amazing film i love it. Its is one of the best films i have ever seen i highly recommend buying it.
on 26 February 2013
I liked this film when it first came out and still think it's one of Brucie's best. Even better in Blue-ray
on 15 February 2013
Good old action movie. Great for a rainy Sunday afternoon when all you want to do is restrict after lunch
on 2 October 2011
What can I say about this movie, the more I watch it the more I like it! Everything from humour, suspense and a tear jerker. Bruce Willis is smooth and the best rugged hero in this flick, he's just a charming rogue - great acting throughtout. I would recommend this film, it just a classic! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did - FANTASTIC!!