5.0 out of 5 stars Better in side by side comparison than the Mini
I'd already made up mind to buy a Bose Soundlink, the question for me was: Soundlink III or Mini? So, I bought both (from the Bose shop) in order to compare them side-by-side at home.

Published 5 months ago by Mr. Re Golin

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much bass!
Great quality build, easy to use, battery life seems good... but everything I play seems far too bassy. I've tried from several devices and both Aux in and Bluetooth. I have tried adjusted the settings on those input devices, but unfortunately Bose seems to be boosting the bass too much.

I want clarity in sound, not a 1990's X-Bass-Boost false version of what I...
Published 8 months ago by Squatter

5.0 out of 5 stars Better in side by side comparison than the Mini, 9 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Electronics)

Of course it's a subjective choice, but my view is that the Soundlink III sounds "better". I should qualify this by saying that to me it sounded more expansive (i.e. you could tell that the sound from the Mini was coming from a smaller space) and the trebles were crisper (especially noticeable to me on piano/vocal type tracks of the Bat for Lashes/Kate Bush variety).

The Soundlink III also passed the test with the following tracks, but the Mini did struggle: Buiral's Archangel; Bjork's Undo; Radiohead's Everything in its right place.

Conclusion: both are similar and you'd be happy with either. I bought the bigger model because I don't intend to take it outside my home (that's where the Mini overtakes the SIII), it's going to be my main way of playing music so I wanted that extra bit of quality and, put simply, once I'd tried them side by side I couldn't have sent the bigger model back to the shop.

I hope this helps similarly mad people.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this thing!!, 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Electronics)
I wanted a Bluetooth speaker which didn't shirk on quality and did a lot of research into which one to get.
I read practically every review on the SoundLink III, good and bad, and after buying it and using it I found the ones which were slating it were really to do with it's inefficiency to meet that particular person's needs; and was effectively the wrong item for them to buy.
When you look at the purpose this item is trying to serve, it's a wireless speaker to connect to multiple devices and isn't really meant to serve as the sole source of sound for DJ-ing and won't blow your head off if you put your ear next to it.
But if you're having a bbq/house-party/picnic and want to sit 9 foot away with your Ipad then it's perfect!

The main thing I wanted was a speaker which wouldn't distort the bass when you turned it up. And with BOSE I was pretty confident this wouldn't, and it didn't disappoint. I had a party with about 30 people in the garden and it was more than loud enough, and if you place it in front of a wall/fence as instructed then the bass is perfect too.

It has a 9 foot radius, ability to remember 6 devices, and 14 hours of playing time on a full battery. (The battery doesn't take long to charge either.. another bonus!) It's pretty heavy to carry (heavier than expected) but I wouldn't class this as a flaw personally.

I did find the Ipad battery drained a lot quicker when playing YouTube though but it's understandable as it's connected to both the internet and Bluetooth which would be battery intensive. Not exactly a fault of the BOSE SLIII though!

Value for money wise it's really up to you. You get what you pay for with this though as it's quality truely is stunning, but if your budget is a bit lower then possibly go for the Mini if you're not fussed about the volume.

Definitely give it 5 stars and can't find a fault with it at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars To Bose or not to Bose....III........, 16 Mar. 2014
mandynolan "mandynolan" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Bose Soundlink III is a top notch product....I've had it for about three weeks now and I have taken my time to review it...I wanted to see how it worked out for me...is it worth the money? Is it really better that my Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker....Is it worth paying that bit more????....

Well....Yes.... and....No......

Its a fantastic piece of equipment...Looks good....sounds amazing....but although they are from the same range I think you would own them for different reasons....
I've already reviewed the Soundlink Mini....its fantastic....BUT....This is even better....although I think they have slightly different purposes...but thats just in my opinion....

So whats different?....well this is simply bigger and has better sound....This is really the one that you could use for your whole sound system if you just wanted one thing...it is better than the mini version....BUT....its not as portable...and I think its more of a serious piece of sound equipment for the house....

So...

PROS
1. Looks great...
2. Great build quality...love the rubberised buttons....
3. Sounds brill...really loud if needed...good sound on all types of music...
4. Attaches well to loads of devices...I've successfully tried...an iPhone 4, iPhone 5s, an iPad Air, a Samsung Galaxy and a Kindle Fire HD....all worked well via bluetooth....
5. Portable.....
6. Good cover....bought separately...although you don't necessarily need it!....Bose Cover for Soundlink III - Orange...I got the Orange...its cool....

Cons
1. Expensive...
2. I think its too big to put in a bag....BUT...I'm not convinced you would throw this range of products in a bag anyway...
3. Only charges via the plug thats in the box....

Overall though I do love it....and if you are reading this review you probably understand why these are so expensive anyway!!......

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Stunning Sound Quality and beautiful design!, 19 Feb. 2014
John Ryan "One man and his Kat" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Electronics)
I'd spent months looking at the competition (details below), and eventually settled for the Bose Soundlink Mini. However my brother trumped me when he bought this little beauty, and I have to admit, although it costs £100 more - it's incredibly impressive.

Here's why...

What is it?
--------
The Bose Soundlink III is a very latest version of the slightly larger wireless Bluetooth speaker. In short, if you've got a smartphone (ie. any Android or iPhone) or tablet (eg. Nexus or iPad) or even a modern laptop you can wirelessly stream (play) music from your device.

No wires, no fuss just superb, room filling quality sound!

How does it work?
--------------
You simply press the Bluetooth button on the top of the speaker and"pair" it with an iPhone/iPad/Smartphone, and play your music or radio. On the iPhone (but almost certainly available on Android) I use the following Apps:-

* Music - to stream music from my iPhone and iPad
* Tune In Radio - An app to listen to world wide radio stations (or XFM London and Radio 4 in my case)
* Spotify - where for £5-£10 a month (or even for free) you can listen to unlimited tracks of your selection
* BBC iPlayer or You Tube - to boost the sound from your iPad or tablet

As it's wireless, you effectively have a built in "remote control" (your smartphone), meaning you can change tracks or adjust volume easily - depending upon the app you're using. Be aware, the Bose doesn't come with a dedicated remote or special app to control the device - but another remote would just be something else to lose behind the sofa.

What's it like?
-----------------
Like it's smaller (and £100 cheaper) device the Soundlink Mini - the sound quality is just amazing. Personally I found at lower volume the mini was slightly better - especially vocals whereas this one has much greater power, and produces a massive sound. I'd say the mini would be great for a bedroom or medium size lounge, whereas this can really belt out a huge sound - enough to power a large party. A huge surprise considering it's beautiful small size.

Where this really stands out though is the bass notes which (again especially for a device this small), is just incredible. While I'm no audiophile, I've tried (and even bought and subsequently returned or eBay'd) several wireless speakers - and this is just so beautifully clear and full - it's just astonishing.

In terms of connectivity, it "remembers" the last six devices paired with it, and it works up to around 30-40 feet away. Although the "pairing" process only takes a few seconds, it means once you've set it up, the entire family can stream music to it from their device instantly. There's also a USB connection which I understand it to apply upgrades when available from Bose.

I know it's really a subjective judgement, but I don't like the look of the some other Bose speakers, (apart from the mini) - but this device is really beautiful. Very retro styling like a 1970s radio - but in a cool, modern way.

Finally, you also get (quoted - but no reason to suspect otherwise) an incredible 14 hours music on a single charge which means you can unplug it and take it out to a party or picnic.

What's Good about it?
-----------------------------
* Stunning sound quality and incredibly clear even at high volume
* Loud enough to power an entire party, with terrific bass
* Beautiful retro styling. Looks like a 1970s radio (but in a really cool way)
* At 10"x 5" and 2" in depth it's amazingly small considering the power it delivers
* Bluetooth pairing with iPhone or Android device. Up to 6 are remembered
* Soft covers (££ extra) are a nice feature to add a splash of colour (green and orange are bit weird though)

What's not so good?
--------------------------
* You can't "connect" this to other speakers around the house (you can with Sonos and the UE Boom)
* For a portable speaker it's relatively heavy (but not a serious gripe - it's a nice heft)
* Although you can use it outdoors - it's not really rugged. Beautiful design for around the house though.

What else is available?
-------------------------------
In terms of price and sound quality, this is what I've personally tested and would recommend:-

1. ADX GizMo, Bluetooth V4.0 Ultra Portable Speaker. High-end Zinc enclosure with black UV finish. rechargeable lithium battery. compatible with all Android, Apple and Windows devices inc iPhone, IPad, IPod, HTC, Samsung, Sony etc (less than £30)
2. Audio Dynamix Atom V2 - Rechargeable Bluetooth V4.0 Stereo Speaker with free Carry Case. 20hrs playtime and 40 metre BT range- Red (Less than £100)
3. Audio Dynamix- The PULSE Stereo Rechargeable Bluetooth V4.0 Speaker. Dual Pulse Bass Radiators, 12hr playtime and 20 metre range, compatible with all Apple, Android and Windows devices (Under £100 but BETTER than the Bose Soundlink Mini)
3. Bose ® SoundLink ® Mini Bluetooth Speaker (Less than £200)
4. Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Less than £300)

So there you have it. The shortlist of bluetooth speakers at less than £30, £100, £200 and £300.

Overall - Highly Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars What I like to call and eargasm, 1 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Electronics)
This is possibly one of the best speakers. But then, who could be surprised? It is after all made by Bose! The sounds are all balanced perfectly and the music comes out nice and crisp. It's like having the perfect chips, crispy on the outside, and nice and fluffy on the inside! It links up to any device that uses both bluetooth and aux cables (mini jack to mini jack leads) which means it will work with your ipod classic or older models if you want it to! The bluetooth is perfect for using it with your laptop, phone etc and has a pretty good range. I haven't measured it yet but it works as a very decent spot speaker on stage! The weirdly brilliant thing with this speaker is there is no distortion at the very loudest setting on any of the sounds. Although be careful, it is VERY loud! It fills my uni theatre and that is pretty darn big so be careful! If you're a music lover like me then this is definitely something worth investing in. You will not be disappointed! Or if you want to go for something cheaper but still as good, then go for the Soundlink mini or even the new soundlink!! Or hell any Bose product!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Bose, 26 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Electronics)
Went into the Bose shop in the Trafford Centre yesterday, it was either the Minnie or this, went for this The sound link 3,I do like both, but this had a better sound overall, but which ever you decide on you won't be disappointed, they both sounds brilliant

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL, CLEAR SOUND, 3 Oct. 2014
A. P. Hunt "Hunting dog" (Glastonbury, Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Electronics)
This is the most beautiful sound for a portable device. The base sounds are so clear and not distorted. The battery life. seems to be a number of hours so I have to charge it only once every 3 to 4 days

5.0 out of 5 stars A taste for quality, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Electronics)
Sometimes we supplement quality with cheap priced items only to regret not getting top quality a few months later. There many good speakers out there , but if you want quality it is worth paying a little extra . BOSE SOUNDLINK 111 IS THE BUSINESS.

Not being arrogant, I love good sound quality and the speaker can hold your garden party for 14 hours, and if you are working in the garden or other DIY activities this speaker is equal to the task .

The Bose soundlink mini is equally good, but more suitable for personal and small office use.

Only draw back is there no remote control , but not missed. It would have been fantastic if was also wi fi enabled.

If you want quality , then this is for you. I love it .

4.0 out of 5 stars Mini still takes it, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Electronics)
All In all this product meets all expectations, The sound quality is slightly improved compared to the SLII, with more clarity, dynamics and overall seperation. The build is what you expect for a 'premium' speaker, it doesn't fault there. However It doesn't quite snatch a full 5 stars from me due to some small areas that could have been better.

First of all Bose has done with the inbuilt flip case found on the SL1/2. It now doesn't need the case to act as a stand like the older versions, meaning it is free standing making it a lot easier to place. However you now have to buy a seperate case to protect the speaker but even these cases won't protect the front grill.

Unlike the soundlink mini which has a brushed aluminium finish, I really don't like how the SLIII has a painted finish and not the finish of that of the Mini. It doesn't quite have the same wow factor that the mini had on first appearance.

In terms of wow factor this speaker is still very powerful and the sound is considerably better than the SL1/2. However I still feel the soundlink mini is victorious in terms of sound for it's size, and price compared to the SL3, It's not quite up there in terms of volume of the larger soundlink or clarity for that matter, however bass reproduction is almost exactly the same at lower listening levels.

If you want an extremely portable Bluetooth speaker than I believe the mini would suit you best and save you quite a few pennies!

However the soundlink 3 is still a fantastic little speaker! With 14 hours of battery life it can go for a long while before dying, meaning you can almost rely on having battery there when you need it. The Sound has improved compared to older generations and I must say it does sound pretty epic, this thing is loud! But something is still telling me I feel the mini takes it for an all rounder!

4.0 out of 5 stars A stylish and great sounding speaker, 16 April 2014
A. Milne "themilnes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First of all, the Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III is a great looking and well built speaker - as you'd probably expect from Bose. The sound is lovely and, although there wasn't a lot in it, the majority of us actually preferred the sound from this to that of our Sonos Play:3. It can certainly fill a room with sound and we love the portability of it...although you'd probably want to kit it out with a case if you're planning to cart it around with you.

When in use we found that the battery lasts very well and the bluetooth pairing was pretty simple which allowed us to get it up and running from different devices.

However, with all that said, for in house use we still prefer our Sonos because it doesn't tie up the device that you're operating it from. We don't dedicate a device to playing music, so we were finding that if we were playing music from the iPad, for example, if one of the kids then went to play a game on the iPad we'd have a room full of the sound of their game. Argh!

Overall, though, this is a quality device and really very good as a portable speaker - but of course it comes at quite a hefty price.

Bose ® SoundLink Bluetooth Speaker III