5.0 out of 5 stars Sunshine on Leith
This is a wonderful film the characters but totally believable and fantastically normal. The songs are uplifting and catchy, my daughter at 9yrs is totally addicted to listening to the sound track. I can not recommend it enough and to all who are bored with the constant stream of American blaaaa give this a try. I guarantee you'll be smiling by the end of it.
Ps...
Published 13 months ago by Cinnamon gal

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I expected
I think the trailer for this film included all the best bits. It was a good, fun, film, with great acting and some decent singing, but neither very funny or very deep - just nice really. Enjoyed it but wouldn't rush to see it again. Definitely a wait for T.V. movie.
Published 10 months ago by Cheshire

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunshine on Leith, 12 Nov 2013
Ps Edinburgh looks great too

5.0 out of 5 stars Feelgood Film, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith [DVD] (DVD)
What a great way to spend an evening!
This film certainly has the feelgood factor. Great music, believable characters & storyline- it's got them all.
Certain to leave a smile on your face & you will find yourself singing the songs for days afterwards.
Think this will be one that I watch time & time again & I will be buying a copy as soon as the dvd is available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm Hearted Film, 12 Nov 2013
L. Davidson (Belfast, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith [DVD] (DVD)
"Sunshine on Leith" is a pleasant ,sunny musical film based around the songs of The Proclaimers and set in the band's home town of Edinburgh.The film is all about the joys,trials and tribulations of romantic love and it possesses an attractive type of innocent charm about it that I liked. The soundtrack is excellent also and I didn't realise the depth of quality of The Proclaimers songs. I only really knew their big hits like "Letter to America", "I'm On My Way" and "I'm Gonna Be" and I was pleasantly surprised to hear more of their repertoire of upbeat, catchy songs. The songs are integrated smoothly into the interesting storyline of the film which features on-off youthful love affairs and the marital difficulties of an older couple. "Sunshine on Leith" is an upbeat,happy film and it is a refreshing antidote to some of the more unpleasant types of film which are the norm in present day cinema schedules.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Musical with a Decent Narrative, 2 Nov 2013
Alan Macgregor (Buckie, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith [DVD] (DVD)
If you like the Proclaimers' direct, honest songs, then you'll enjoy this direct, honest story. The characters are believable and rounded. I enjoyed the stage show a few years back, but the film is even better. The acting is excellent, the singing as good as the original songs. The cinematography is wonderfully atmospheric. Edinburgh is one of the films stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars sunny Leith, 5 Feb 2014
A great advert for Edinburgh. Superb photographic views and panoramas which really sell Scotland's capital city. The final sequence is best, in my opinion. Cast is excellent too ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic feel good film, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith [DVD] (DVD)
We had gone to Blackpool for a few days break but it rained for the 4 days we were there,we looked for inside entertainment but all the shows we wanted to see we're booked up.The pictures were the last option and this film was being shown on the first day of it being released and the revues were all very good.We were glad it rained !!!! We laughed we cried, the humour and the music was fabulous we have now pre ordered the DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars We want a Christmas release for the DVD!, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith [DVD] (DVD)
Fabulous! A simple storyline, but there was dancing in the aisles. We all left the cinema with a smile on our faces. A great film to lift the spirit. 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars A letter from America......, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith [DVD] (DVD)
Davy and Ally have to re-learn how to live life in Edinburgh after coming home from serving in Afghanistan.

Both struggle to learn to live a life outside the army and to deal with the everyday struggles of family, jobs and relationships.... And two mysterious twins, who we see once coming out of a pub.......

Take it of leave it, Sunshine On Leith is a huge hug of a movie, and its one of the most fun films I've seen in a long time. If you don't like musicals, it's still a beautiful movie, and The Wonderful songs just add to the narrative.

Fletcher proves after Wild Bill, he is a great film maker, and to handle a musical and such a great dance number at the end is a wonderful feat.

The cast are great, but what makes the film so good, is the Horrocks and Mullan subplot, it literally had me crying on more than one occasion.

The locale is beautiful, and despite a dodgy opening (those credits look ridiculously cheap), the film doesn't let up until the already said wonderful dance at the end.

Mamma Mia May have the star power, but this has more heart, and more warmth to it.

Highly recommended...

5.0 out of 5 stars a lovely feel good film, 16 Dec 2013
V. Finch (devon, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith [DVD] (DVD)
A little publicised film but having seen by chance the trailer on TV, I thought it looked good. I loved it from the moment it started. The songs were catchy, the acting superb and I just wanted to be in the flash mob at the end. Don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I would walk 500 miles just to see a movie like this................, 12 Nov 2014
LINGO (Conwy, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunshine On Leith (DVD)
Having not been one for Mama Mia I had my reservations about this, and especially as Dexter Fletcher's first directorial outing was the brilliant Wild Bill. For me stage musicals rarely transcend to screen very well. And as it was very early on best mates Davy and Ally on returning from Afghan were skipping down the streets like Dorothy and the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz. Despite the use of The Proclaimers songs I drew in a sharp breath. Then lo and behold! An omen, a cameo appearance of the Reid twins themselves. And from that moment on the sunshine started to come out. Dispensing with Mama Mia's dialogue to Abba songs, this uses the songs themselves and what unfolds is a great story of hopes, dreams, love and regrets. Fantastic performances from a great cast of established and new talent. This genuinely builds into a feel good film, and I challenge anyone not to be singing 500 miles at the end!! Great stuff!

Sunshine On Leith