5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous sewing book
What I liked about the book:

Published on 28 Oct 2008 by Lova

3.0 out of 5 stars Seams to me
Purchased this book a while ago and whilst I do like it there are some projects which seem a little pointless. I love the prairie blouse and bo-peep skirt but cannot understand when there would be a need for what is little more than a fancy wrist band or warmer?

Published on 31 Mar 2010 by kerryo231

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous sewing book, 28 Oct 2008
Lova - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
What I liked about the book:

* The spiral format of the book makes it easy to use. There are 24 projects, most of them are fresh (not a rehash of projects already in other books or readily available online), there are 10 paper patterns (ready to be cut as they are printed on one side only). The projects are varied: for your sewing room, bags, home deco projects, women clothing, kids clothing, quilt, wall hanging art, baby toy, even one project for your pet etc. The book is a visual feast, very enjoyable to browse through with lots of bright and cheerful colours.

* The book is very comprehensive. You will learn how to set up your sewing space, what tools are really worth having, she offers useful tips that I have not seen in other similar books, there is even a lesson on colour combination based on saturation. I love this book because Anna Maria somehow, through what she is generously sharing in this book, has inspired me to be more creative in my sewing process. She is inspiring me to think/act/create as a designer/artist and not just a seamstress.

* I like the fact that she used other designers' fabrics in addition to her own, so the book is not a marketing book for her fabric lines.

* The tutorials are very well explained, and for each project she add a litte "color notes" where she explains why she chose that print and colour (it's like an insider tip on how designers select fabrics for their projects).

What I didn't like:

* A very few projects are already familiar to me (like the cozy cube)

* I would have loved to see full pictures of her studio

To recap, it's a very good book, worth having even if you already have all the other fabric designers books (Amy Butler etc).

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a great book!!, 30 Nov 2008
K. Pollecutt (UK) - See all my reviews
I found about this book through one of my blogs and decided I had to have it. I am an intermediate sewer and this is just great for me. The sections are laid out nicely, it's spiral bound which is a must and comes with full size patterns to use which I love. You won't be dissapointed, a great book with great tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seams to Me - 24 New reasons to love sewing, 28 Nov 2008
Shirley Isaacs (London UK) - See all my reviews
This is a beautifully produced book - very readable - with lots of interesting projects and is very instructive. The patterns are in a separate envelope attached at the back of the book - all beautifully made. Lots of things you would like to have a go at ranging from easy upwards, but all well described and do-able.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book., 10 Nov 2008
D. Walker (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm new to sewing and i somehow stumbled across Anna Maria Horner. I love her style and her eye for colour. I'm really happy with this book. I just don't know which project to start, they are all lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars seams to me, 9 July 2009
Anna Maria Horner's first book, Seams to Me, is extremely well written. Her projects, do not have mistakes in them (unlike some books) and the quality of the pattern pieces is excellent. I have made 2 bags from the book, and am very pleased with the way they have come out. I plan on making her lovely playing quilt (all targets and circles) and possibly her cubes. It's not that heavy on clothing, more items for the house, and artwork. But her explanations on colour, fabric, how to sew are superb, and will be used as refernce guides by me, for many years to come. I would recommend. Check out the flickr group, if you want to see the type of projects in the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, 3 Sep 2009
Ordered this at the same time as Bend the Rules Sewing, and what different books! Seams to Me is lush and colourful with projects that look well designed and made. Lots has caught my eye already to make, but for now I'm happy browsing. Also a great taster for newbies - really helpful section on all the basics, even including using choosing prints and colours. A really fab package.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seams to me, 31 Mar 2010

Some of the projects require a lot of fabric and sewing skills - quilt. But there are a few more basic patterns/projects included for beginners.

Beautifully put together book with great patterns ready to cut and use. Lots of tips and techniques at the beginning of the book too.

Personally I think that there are better books out there but a good one to add to your sewing book library.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Introduction to Sewing, 27 Feb 2011
This is the first sewing book I have purchased, on the advice of friends. It has proven a fantastic resource, giving me the inspiration to get out my new sewing machine and give it a whirl. Horner successfully introduces beginners to the world of sewing, whilst also providing tips and projects for the more experienced sewer.

Whilst some aspects go beyond a new seamstress, (for example the section on making bias could highlight alternative, and quickerm approaches), the projects allow you to learn by making beautiful things for yourself and your home. I have already made a pin cushion caddy (some issues involving seams here, I recommend that you cut your inner tube after you have sewn together the outer section to check the length required) as well as the patchwork ball. I am also halfway through the smashing smock, with plans to tackle the quilt in coming months, adapting the basic pattern provided. Horner encourages you to adapt the projects as you wish, providing patterns that you could make again and again with different style and colours.

Finally, the use in having everything in a spiral bound book with patterns included makes this book fabulous for someone just starting out. Everything you need is in one place, without having to spend large sums of money.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seams to me, 11 Mar 2010
K. M. Naunton "Kimberley" (St.Albans.England) - See all my reviews
A nice book with envelope at the back with all the patterns for the projects. A little old fashioned with some of the clothing styles, but a nice book to have.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy actual book not Kindle version, 14 Mar 2011
I bought this book thinking that there would be some attachment for the patterns other reviewers mentioned, there are no patterns in the Kindle edition. Please do NOT buy the Kindle version, buy the actual book and then at least you have some patterns to use.

I have still given this book two stars as it is beautifully written and has really inspiring photos and ideas. Sewer's who are well past the beginner stage should be able to make their own patterns using the book as their inspiration, but at the price offered I fell a little let down that I should have to do this.

Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing