5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible, well-written and fascinating
Published 4 months ago by Lincs Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting but challenging read
Hard work! Felt like a textbook rather than an entertaining read. Does give one a better understanding of this potentially debilitating condition
Published 2 months ago by Sarah

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible, well-written and fascinating, 11 April 2014
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
How many times have you said 'Oh, I'm a little bit OCD about that'? Maybe, like me, you like to hang out the washing using certain coloured pegs for certain garments, or maybe you have to have all your Coca Cola cans facing the same way in the fridge (just like David Beckham). Most of us have a few little rituals that we carry out, but most of us don't let the thoughts about our rituals, or what would happen if we didn't do them, take over our lives. Most of us don't have OCD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, we just have a couple of little quirks.

David Adam is a science journalist, he has suffered from OCD for twenty years. He is tortured by his thoughts, he is convinced that he will catch AIDS. He is also a very intelligent man who realises that his thoughts and actions are intrusive and are affecting his daily life far too much.

The Man Who Couldn't Stop is a mix of personal story from David Adam, the results of research from all over the world, and stories of actual patients and how they have reacted to treatment. The author perfectly blends the scientific, the medical and the real life cases together to produce an easy to read, informative, at times sad, and often humorous look at this peculiar illness that affects so many people.

Cases of OCD have been reported for centuries, some were dismissed, some were treated - often with surgical interventions which are recounted here in much detail, and will shock. Like all mental illnesses, debates and discussions will rage for many years to come. It is interesting to read the evidence for the scientific causes, the medical causes and the possible genetic causes of this illness, which, putting aside the quirky and the funny, really can be life-changing and so debilitating for sufferers.

Accessible, well-written and fascinating, The Man Who Couldn't Stop is an honest account of living with OCD combined with research and historical fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and thought-provoking insight, 15 April 2014
SM (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
OCD is such a debilitating condition. Lots of people think that they are a bit obsessed over some things in their life and laugh off what they see as their own silliness... But OCD is a completely different thing. It takes the helpless sufferer to a whole different level which fortunately, many of us will never truly understand. This book raises the issues, in a personal way, but also in a historical and scientific way. The author has got a brilliant balance of these different takes on the disease and the result is a really interesting and enlightening account.

I found the idea of finding it hard to accept a possible disease and diagnosis, interesting. That is probably part of the disease itself, but common in sufferers of other chronic diseases. This is sometimes not helped by doctors confusion over symptoms, causes, treatments and even the definitions of a disease.

Overall I found this book very touching. It successfully combine humour with those moments that are heart wrenching.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and understand, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Man Who Couldn't Stop: OCD and the true story of a life lost in thought (Kindle Edition)
Although when I bought this book I was expecting to find something different [ regarding a person I know and would like to help who is constantly scratching] but this book is very easy to read and not at all 'medical' and written with a good sense of humour and understanding. Has opened up my eyes regarding the author's problems - hopefully now gone - and to other people with the same thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly informative with clear examples of living with OCD, 22 July 2014
Well written and informative for OCD sufferers and the people they live with, or care about them. I particularly liked to read about the author's personal experiences of living with OCD, as it was written in a heart-felt way, and at times in a brave manner. The book includes a massive amount of up to date research, including treatments currently and historically. It explains the many theories, past and present, of why people of all walks of life, and ages, begin showing OCD traits and how it can move on to take over hours of your day, every day - as the title clearly indicates. I do hope the author writes another book about his personal journey of living with OCD.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT ITEM, 7 July 2014
GREAT ITEM

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting but challenging read, 26 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Best, 23 Jun 2014
Best book I have ever read on the subject. Easy to read and not too technical. Would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining and informative read., 15 Jun 2014
As a fellow chemical engineer and a friend of the Author's parents/ Author himself, I guess you could argue my review is biased. That said, I acknowledge I purchased the book initially from loyalty but also from a degree of curiosity....and I'm glad I did. I found David's style very easy to read, and his conveying of medical, psychiatric, psychological cases & hypotheses and research processes very understandable to the lay person - the skill of the accomplished scientific journalist, no doubt.
The range and variety of case studies presented is extensive, as is the research quoted, and together with the Author's own challenges to some of the published doctrines meant I found I gained a balanced insight into OCD (about which I knew very little) from both the personal and medical perspectives in an engaging, often humorous, often poignant, always understandable style.
So, yes, my scoring is biased, but even without the personal relationship, I enjoyed the book considerably and would mark it high on that basis alone - an entertaining and informative read. And I already have a couple of the medics in my family queueing to borrow my copy (unsigned as yet!).

5.0 out of 5 stars The man who couldn't stop by David Adam, 12 Jun 2014
David Adam addresses his own condition and that of his fellow OCD sufferers with honesty and compassion and gives a clear explanation of a tormenting condition that is considerably more debilitating than non sufferers can know. This is a very thought provoking book and although some of the descriptions of treatment for mental health issues in the past are hard to come to terms with, the book is interesting and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars very interesting, 5 Jun 2014
The book is packed with scientific, historic and personal information written in a compelling and easy to follow style. Informative and will help anyone understand a particular outlook in daily life whether affected by it or not.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›