5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive and caring with humour
This book as well as describing vividly the role of a country GP before medical technologies and even penicillin, also gives a wonderful social insight into a bygone era.
Each chapter describes a different aspect of life in the 20 th. Century and informs as well as amuses with the addition of authenticity.
The book could be converted into a Sunday night drama to...
Published 11 months ago by margaret butler

3.0 out of 5 stars An insight into a former way of life
As an insight into a former way of life this book is very interesting. It has really been tough going, for me, in some places as I can hardly believe some of the things which are written - all true no doubt; I think I'm suffering from a bit of inverse snobbery! Even so, I would recommend this book on the basis that it reads like a true Downton Abbey for the middle...
Published 4 months ago by Spookella

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensitive and caring with humour, 1 May 2014
The book could be converted into a Sunday night drama to rival other feel good series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful read., 4 May 2014
What a delightful read 'CALL THE DOCTOR' is. It cleverly and movingly recalls the life of a GP in England and South Africa,as well as the horrors of life for a doctor at the front in W.W.1. This well put together compilation from Dr White-Coppers diaries has the right balance of his observations on medicine,current attitudes,stoicism and social changes of the times. They are woven through the many sad and humorous anecdotes and experiences garnered from the huge variety of his patients during the first part of the 20th century. There is much to be learnt as well as being surprised. Most of all the book conveys the warmth with which Dr White-Cooper profoundly cared for his patients. The addition of fond and contemporary memories from past patients add a reality to his legacy. Here is a man one genuinely wishes one could have met. I feel sure he would approve and be proud of his grand daughters literary efforts.
An excellent read and one feels this may not be the last book Deborah White-Cooper will produce!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, gentle, interesting and readable, 27 April 2014
I loved this book, it is such a great read.Firstly a poignant insight into the world of a surgeon in the Great War with stories that afforded me details that I hadn't gleaned even during my history degree. Then a wonderful window into the world of a GP in Dartmouth, Devon, rich with amusing and thought provoking tales. Ronald White-Cooper was a gentleman and Doctor at the centre of a tight knit community in which he obviously delighted. In the same way as 'All Creatures Great And Small' was, this book of charming stories is crying out to be made into a TV series. If you are after something nostalgic and entertaining with a slightly wistful air then this is the book for you. I wish I could have read it to my grandmother, it would have made her hoot!.

5.0 out of 5 stars witty, funny and brilliant recollection of the experiences of a practising doctor, 8 May 2014
Call the Doctor is a non-fiction based recollection of Ronald White-Cooper's tales and diary entries. Ronald was a doctor who started practising in the early 1900's.

Ronald's granddaughter (who later edited this book) found his diary entries in the attic several years after his death. Although he probably never thought that these would be turned into a book, I am really glad that they did, as I enjoyed reading his work very much! Ronald seems to have been such an amazing person and doctor who lived an interesting and fulfilled life.

His writing is extremely warm and detailed. I loved that next to his medical experiences (I cannot believe how far medicine has come in the last 100 years!!) he also lets the reader in on his personal life by telling brilliant patient and family anecdotes. It quickly becomes clear how much he must have been loved and respected by his patients and fellow peers.

There are also quite a few family photos included in this book which I thought was a brilliant addition. It really helped me to visualize his character.

Call the Doctor is a witty, funny and brilliant recollection of the experiences of a practising doctor from several decades ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful memoir, 5 May 2014
This was an unputdownable book dealing with the work of a GP in England. It deals with a variety of experiences, many of which are extremely funny and all the time a great warmth permeates the text underlining the empathy that the doctor has for his patients and the joy he gains from his job. In many ways it has elements of 'Dr Finlay's Casebook' and possibly could be the basis for a TV series, since the success of 'Call the Midwife' indicates that people do welcome nostalgic stories of times less technical.
This is a book well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely readable!, 30 April 2014
This would make a superb television series. I couldn't put the book down - it held my attention throughout. It reminded me of my own father's experiences as a country GP in the north of England in the 1930's. I thoroughly recommend it. Deborah White-Cooper is to be congratulated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book of the year!!!!!!!!, 18 Aug. 2014
I absolutely LOVED this book!!! It was totally different from anything else I have read. The book was easy to read and it didn't take long before I was hooked. It was a book I read in a matter of days as I was so eager to find out what happened next.
The author Deborah White-Cooper has put together her grandfather's real-life memoirs from his days as a GP.
There are many short amusing or fascinating short stories contained therein as a result. During the course of the book we also get an insight into Ronald White Coopers private life-some of it light hearted and fun but some of it rather unepxectedly sad. The book takes you back to a different time-the world of our grandparents-where there was a sense of community and GPs were at the heart of that.

I strongly recommend this for book groups as there are a lot of fun moments to chat about or for a holiday read.I felt very affected by the main character and the events of the book are based on real life and as a result draw you in very quickly.

Order it today-put aside some time and lose yourself in this fantastic experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars General Practice as it used to be., 10 Jun. 2014
This is the story of the very eventful life of a doctor in the first half of the last century. Much of the book relates to the years he was a G.P. in Devon and as a retired G.P. myself I found this of particular interest.
His collection of memories of strange unexpected happenings in the course of a normal days work make fascinating reading. These are all part of a G.P.'s life and we have all had similar experiences. I only wish that I had made a note of them as they happened.
It is also a little picture of what medicine was like between the wars. Antibiotics only came in at the end of this time in Devon. Patients were mainly treated at home or in a nearby cottage hospital. Babies were largely home deliveries or in a G.P, maternity home. Most people died in their own home in the care of their family and local nurses
Dr. White-Cooper was clearly love by his patients.He knew them and they knew him. He was in and out of their homes and knew their families. He had seen them grow up. He was on call most of the time both at the surgery and at home. He was trusted and respected. He was a friend. The doctor patient relationship is often very different today.
A great book, well written and of interest to all people.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely true life read, that delves into sadness, humour and a community!, 7 Jun. 2014
Call The Doctor is a remarkable first hand insight into the life of GP/Surgeon Ronald White-Cooper.
The story is told using his journals and stories that he shared with his family, and what makes this book extra special is the fact that Ronald's granddaughter Deborah is the books editor.

Spanning two wars and sharing the history of the NHS, I found myself learning with every page.
I was captivated by the way the community loved and respected Ronald White-Cooper.

The truth is, I am finding this a hard book to review and that's only because it's one of those reads where you deserve to discover every true moment for yourself.

There's something within the words that bring every story to life, to empathise with the cases and feel in awe of the work that was done. In one case I found myself gasping and clutching my throat in sympathy.
The pictures are a wonderful touch and allow you to see Ronald White-Cooper.

A lovely true life read, that delves into sadness, humour and a community!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a journey!, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Call the Doctor: A Country GP Between the Wars, Tales of Courage, Hardship and Hope (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book written with such ease and humour. How can anyone have so many stories to tell in one lifetime! I was captivated from the beginning and thank you to Deborah White-Cooper for sharing her grandfathers memoirs and bringing them to life and being able to draw us into the past. This is a definite drama in the making, please don't wait too long!