Format: DVD|Change

on 10 May 2014
Excellent series. Not too serious. I wasn't sure what would happen with the new main character but he fitted well because he is the total opposite to the previous one. Does not need too much concentration but enough to follow the story line. Interesting, too, from the point of view of landscapes and geography. I have never been to this part of the world which is very beautiful. Also, we discover a different way of life, different types of weather - how it affects lives and how people prepare for hurricanes. The actors are good and pleasant. Good sense of humour as well. Great entertainment.
on 20 March 2014
I loved series 1 & 2. I never understood why anyone would ever go to Saint-Marie Island but the way it was written in the classic get everyone together to explain whodunnit at the end style was brilliant and I so wanted to see if DI Poole would ever get it on with the smoking hot Camille (Sara Martins). So when DI Poole is the subject of the first murder of the new series, I'm thinking Noooo!
But then in walks (or more approprately stumbles and bumbles) in Kris Marshall. His character takes this good whodunnit show to a new level of enjoyment, because you just don't know what he's going to do next... literally. And its opened up the rest of the cast to become more involved and become more interesting rather than just being in the shadow of DI Poole all the time. As good as Ben Miller was in series 1 & 2, and he was brilliant, Kris Marshall's character is a breathe of fresh air, yes the 'methods' are similar, and the outcome the same... you rarely guess the right answer first time, but it works and its opened up a brighter future for the show I think. I can't wait for series 4, 5 & 6 - I'm just hoping there are enough people left on Saint-Marie for it to last that long!
on 8 August 2014
I suppose that, like most other fans of "Death in Paradise" I was anticipating disaster when DI Richard Poole was murdered and DI Humphrey Goodman took over. However, like other reviwers I very quickly got to like the new Dectective Inspector and had already accepted him before the end of the first new episode. This kind of switch is always difficult in any TV series and must pose all kinds of problems and risks for producers but Tim Bradley got this one absolutely right. I don't pretend to know the secret of this success. It was probably helped by a combination of many things. But keeping to the same classic recipe was certainly one of them. A murder mystery is presented, always with a variety of suspects but always with an elusive final piece to the puzzle. Then the detective suddenly manages to put all of the pieces together and present them in a grand finale to the assembled caste, finally revealing the killer. Sure it's "ham"! That's what makes it so entertaining. DI Goodman is quite different to DI Poole, but also has his own quaint eccentricities in just the right amounts to even further improve the recipe and the continuity of all the other original characters still in their beautiful tropical paradise completes the new series. Harry the lizard remains as a delightful "show stealer". Great family entertainment.
on 13 May 2014
The new detective, Humphrey Goodman, is an eccentric Englishman, too, only in a different way from Richard Poole. Humphrey is clumsy and lots of times what he says comes out totally wrong and embarrassing. But he is more sensitive to others' feelings than Richard was and tries to be considerate. His detective skills are excellent, so, of course, he makes connections others miss and always solves the case. I don't think that anyone who liked the first two series would be disappointed in this one.
on 27 April 2014
I chose this rating because I love this series of Death in Paradise, Kris Marshall is a perfect replacement for Ben Miller who starred in Series 1 and 2. I thought Ben Miller was irreplaceable, how wrong I was. The scenery is spectacular, the story lines are unique, the cast magnificent. This series just gets better and better - Series 3 is superb, can't wait for Series 4. Good entertainment I never get tired of re-watching the episodes. Wonderful
I started watching this series on TV expecting to be disappointed as the main character (played by Ben Miller) was killed of in episode 1. Enter, what I first thought was, a carbon copy of the role played by Kris Marshall. By the end of episode 2 I knew that this wasn't a carbon copy but a new character in its' entirety. The interaction between Kris and the wonderful Sara Martins is even better than that of Ben Miller in the first 2 series.

The episodes each continue to have a Marplesque type of murder to solve and, like many previous 'tecs, Marshall likes to get everyone together before announcing the murderer and how he could prove it. Unlike many others, though, this doesn't seem contrived - just a part of his character.

I'm looking forward to series 4 - highly recommended
on 8 March 2015
Surprisingly good, considering the unnecessary method of getting rid of Ben Miller's character. I almost stopped watching as a result, and it says much for the wonderful scenery and general feel of this comedy detective series that I stuck with it - like millions of other viewers.
The new inspector is well portrayed by Kris Marshall, and the writers have cleverly managed to give us another likeable eccentric who fills the bill.
on 12 June 2014
Ok, it's an improvement on the first two series - they didn't have any extras at all! But what there is here is sparse and under-developed - a few 'snippets' of behind-the-scenes bits and pieces which would have been so much better as full-length features instead of only lasting a few minutes each. People these days like things like cast commentaries, out-takes (if the participants are ok with their bloopers being exposed to the world, that is!) and things that offer more than the odd glimpse here and there. Whilst I know that's not the fault of the DVD itself (it's up to the BBC to do more for their customers) it is why I can only give four stars (but I'd have given four and a half if I could have!) to this product because there are other DVDs with programme content I've enjoyed to the same extent, but I can enjoy that on TV anyway! DVDs are bought not just to watch any time, but to have 'that little bit extra' to a plain old TV broadcast. And on that count too many BBC DVDs just don't deliver that!

However, as a D.I.P. lover who had no problem with Kris Marshall taking over the role of 'lead', I'd certainly recommend considering adding this to your collection!
on 30 March 2014
I have watched my DVD for the new series. I did like it, and the new Inspector is very good in a different way to Inspector Poole. I thought that I would not be able to get into the story-line with a new Inspector but thankfully I was wrong to judge before viewing. I will add though that I really loved Richard Poole. The other characters playing their parts well, as always, that saved me from turning off the DVD and not watching to the end and making a rash judgement. In conclusion because I really liked Inspector Poole, I did not think that they should have killed him off, that part did ruin it for me. They should have sent him back to England, but not so soon. I watch a good number of mysterious on DVD but this one I really got into the characters, this is unusual for me as I take movies/series at face value. The only other series that has me hooked in the same way as Death In Paradise is Miss Fisher's Mysteries. I don't know why Ben Miller left the series but I must google and see if I can read up on the reason.
on 12 February 2014
Judging Kris Marshall too early on is narrow minded - I loved Ben Miller in the first 2 series but things move on and the main reason most great series die is that they become staid and repetitive - the enforced change of the lead character has actually refreshed the dynamics of the series and with the fantastic supporting cast, Kris Marshall is proving a great addition to the programme - bumbling, tongue tied, good natured but a genius of Holmes standing means I'm enjoying the show as much as ever!

Just the music makes me smile and think of sunny places, beautiful beaches and fun!