5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, well written book
Oh what a must read this book is - from start to finish I was hooked by the storyline and the depth of feelings that Rosie Thomas portrays is excellent - the story just seemed to touch me deep down and by the end I was crying
One of the best books I have read for years
Published on 31 Oct. 2007 by Mrs. A. Richardson

Published on 14 Jan. 2011 by Nicola F (Nic)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her other books (Very vague Spoilers) 3.5 stars, 14 Jan. 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Strangers (Paperback)
I initially thought this was going to be a four and a half, possibly even a five star read, but about a third of the way into this book, the lead protagonists and their actions grew so incredibly irritating that I had a complete change of opinion. After a promising start I was left feeling a bit... flat by the end of this book which is such a shame because I'd been looking forward to giving this a shot. The summary on the back cover sounds compelling.

`Strangers' is a classic Rosie Thomas novel focusing on the events of a terrorist bomb blowing up in a department store and two strangers trapped inside, with only each other for comfort. As the injured Annie and Steve cling together for hours awaiting rescue they talk about their lives and each other- Annie's `loveless' marriage to Martin and playboy Steve's past relationships are only a couple of conversations that take place amidst the rubble. The book ultimately poses the ultimate moral dilemma: a married woman with children is `falling in love' with another man, (a complete stranger at that) and the consequences of those actions.

Actually, there were a lot of aspects of this book I really enjoyed at first: initially the characters were actually depicted very well and the plot had so much promise. This isn't just fluffy chick lit and does have some ethical dilemmas which are played out very well to the reader. The aftermath of the terrorist bomb as well, felt very real- its clear Thomas has done a lot of research into the subject as the gritty details are not glossed over in the slightest.

So why only three and a half stars?

Because there's only so many chapters of a book that can be set in a hospital and good *grief,* this plot grew rather unfortunately tedious towards the end what with Annie chopping and changing her mind every ten pages about which man she actually wanted to be with and messing around just about everyone- including her poor children and neglecting her dying mother. She was selfish and shallow and I don't mean to sound preachy here, but she didn't come across as a very nice person at all which was ultimately very off-putting as a reader. It was hard to feel any empathy for her and what she had been through given how she treated other people. Steve as well, came across as a bit of an idiot. It was circumstances that drew the two of them together, I get that and it should have worked, but without the bomb there's no way he would have looked at Annie twice and I felt that this didn't come across very well in the narrative.

Martin, who I also should have had the upmost sympathy for, just became a poor excuse for a bloke and was portrayed as a complete doormat, though his most redeeming quality was that he was a good father. If he'd have had any self-respect of gumption at all then he would have told Annie where to stick it. But hey, that's just my opinion!

I would say that fans of Thomas will probably enjoy this read, though I personally didn't like it as much as some of her other novels. If you haven't read a Rosie Thomas book before then I would recommend either `Constance' or `Iris and Ruby' as a good starting point. If you enjoy authors like Cathy Kelly and Erica James then you should also give this a shot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, well written book, 31 Oct. 2007
One of the best books I have read for years

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully written book, very moving, 21 Sept. 2007
Bird1979 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strangers (Paperback)
I have enjoyed many books by Rosie Thomas but this has to be the best so far, simply for the depth of emotion it is written. I was totally moved by this book and feel the auther suceeds in making it as realistic and as thought provoking as possible. I felt I knew the characters and could feel what they felt. It does not follow a classic 'love story' path and therefore is hard to put down as you become so engrossed, never knowing what will happen. A wonderfully written book, it touches the heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare insight into intimacy, 2 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Strangers (Paperback)
It's unusual to find a study of passionate feeling that is based on such an extraordinary train of events, but Rosie Thomas explains beautifully and convincingly how a fairly good marriage can be turned on its head when one partner becomes attached to a stranger through no fault of her own. One of her very best novels, if not the best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Searing view of the meaning of life, 10 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Strangers (Paperback)
It looks like a classic romance from the cover, but this book gives a remarkable view of what it must feel like to be close to death, in a disaster, and how it changes your perspective. Extremely well written and thought provoking. Has a satisfying ending that makes perfect sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Strangers (Paperback)
I love every Rosie Thomas book I read and this is no exception. In true Rosie style I didn't want the boom to end although I did want to know what happened.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Strangers (Paperback)
I love Rosie Thomas's books as a rule but this was dull, dreary, boring. The situation the characters were in was fraught but somehow there was no tension, just pretty boring dialogue and characters who never really came to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very moving and poignant, 8 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Strangers (Paperback)
You start off this rather small looking book not really knowing what you are going to find. However, what starts as a quite little tale about a woman and her life, soons becomes something quite dark and moving at the same time. You really feel for the 2 main characters in this book and will them on all the way through. The ending is a surprise in some ways and not in others - but I think it is very realistic - thoroughly enjoyable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of her best., 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Strangers (Kindle Edition)
This is not a new book just repackaged, so don't be fooled by the cover. It is rather dated.

Started off quite well but became very repetitive and slow to the point I wanted them to be rescued because I was bored. The two main characters were so unappealing that I just didn't care what happened to them Annie was self obsessed and selfish, she didn't care about her children or her mother. The husband was a drip and should have taken the children but by then I had lost the will to finish the book.

Rosie Thomas has written some wonderful books and I would recommend 'Iris and Ruby' and the 'Kashmir Shawl'

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting exploration, 28 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Strangers (Kindle Edition)
Of how trauma experienced by just two people can also have such a devastating affect on those closest to them. I wasn't expecting this from the book.

It's a good read but by chapter three I found myself getting bored by the dialogue between two people caught up in disaster. I had to force myself to read on after Chapter 3 but it became more interesting as Annie, the main character, struggled with a powerful yet temporary passion vs responsibility in her life.

It was well worth reading as can be said of any Rosie Thomas book.

Strangers