5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic YA Series!, 19 May 2014
This review is from: Ruins (Paperback)
This the third book in the Partials Sequence. I absolutely LOVED it!

I downloaded this book in audio format, as I wanted to read it but because it hadn't been released in Kindle format in the UK yet, I was dying to know what happened next! Getting this book in audio allowed me to be able to listen to it whilst doing household chores, or focus on the story from the comfort of a chair or my bed. The narrator, Julia Whelan, did another fantastic job in bringing the characters to life by giving them their own accent and voice. Her narration was well paced and even, and was concise and exciting.

Kira Walker is a fantastic character. She may be a Partial, but she has more compassion than some humans. I really liked her a lot. She is brave, determined and, even though she is a medic, can kick ass when she needs to.

Samm is another fantastic character. He is a Partial too, but a soldier with a dream - to find how to stop the expiration of the Partials. I liked him a lot too. He is a soldier used to following orders, but his love for Kira and his desire to live sees him following his heart.

The story continues from the end of the second book. War is inevitable, but Kira, Samm and Marcus are determined to try to stop it if they can. As this story is told through various points of view, but mostly through Kira's Samm's and Marcus's eyes, I felt like I was actually watching a movie; the descriptions of the people and the environs were extremely vivid. There are several twists and turns in this tale that surprised me. None more so than the identity of the "Blood Man". What made him the way he was, was more shocking to me than the actual brutality of his actions (which were decidedly gross). There are some scenes that are extremely violent and disturbing, but there are also some scenes that are touching and made me cry. It was nice to meet up with most of Kira's friends, Nandita Merchant, Isolde Romer, Ariel McAdams, Xochi Kessler, and Yoon Ji-Bak again. However, things are not what they seem and new alliances are formed and enemies made. Heron is an enigma, and I wasn't sure what team she was on, but her actions near the end of the story made her a hero in my book. I was a little disappointed at how the story concluded, as I felt there were a few questions of my own that remained unanswered. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the exciting roller coaster ride of action and romance that took me on an amazing journey through a post-apocalyptic world. I would love to see this trilogy made into a movie, as I think it would definitely give The Hunger Games and Divergent a run for their money.

Dan Wells has written a fast paced, action packed post-apocalyptic YA novel that kept me riveted from the first page. I love his writing style, which kept me highly entertained, and the story flowed wonderfully. I have added this author to my Favourite Author's list, and will be looking out for more of his work in the future.

I highly recommend this book (and series) if you love books like The Hunger Games and Divergent, or if you love to read YA, Science Fiction, Dystopian or Post-Apocalyptic genres. - Lynn Worton

4.0 out of 5 stars Great finish to the series, 29 July 2014
This review is from: Ruins (Partials, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Ruins is the final part of the Partials trilogy and after the excellent Fragments I was expecting a lot from this book. Although I did love this part I think that Fragments is still my favourite - partly for the relationship between Samm and Kira.

At the end of the previous instalment we saw Kira being taken away by Dr Morgan to be experimented on in the hopes that they would find the cure for expiration and in the process save the remaining partials. Unfortunately Dr Morgan is unable to find what she's looking for and gives up and then remains curiously absent for the rest of the book. Of course Kira manages to figure out the cure and leaves Dr Morgan to see if she can actually put her theory into practice. Along the way she meets a partial called Green who she befriends and a group of modified partials called the Ivies led by someone called The Blood Man - whose identity came as a huge surprise and a twist that I never saw coming. We also find out that the world has been reset thanks to a member of the Trust - Jerry - who we had heard about previously. This reset meant that winter finally returned to the US and the seasons would start to go back to normal.

Although this book tied up the issues of expiration for the Partials and RM for the humans I felt that there were a few other strands of story that were left up in the air. Samm made the trip back east to find Kira with Heron, a few of the revived Partials (that had been kept unconscious by Vale) and a couple of humans but there is no hint that they had thought about the people and Partials left in Denver after everything had been resolved. Also, the plot surrounding Ariel, Isolde, Xochi and Nandita was a little lacking after a certain point only for them to miraculously turn up at the end.

I wondered how they would treat the triangle between Kira, Samm and Marcus and I was pleased with how that ended. After Kira left East Meadow it felt like her relationship with Marcus had been cast by the wayside as you saw her feelings for Samm develop. You could see the difference in the two relationships, it was almost as if Marcus was her first crush but not really serious and Samm was the more mature relationship.

One thing that I wasn't too keen on was that there were so many different view points in this final instalment which felt a bit overwhelming at times and meant that some of them were cut short like Ariel's. However despite this I still thoroughly enjoyed this book and I was very pleased with the outcome.

Throughout the series Kira really came into her own as a heroine. She started out as a young medical intern with dreams of finding a cure for the disease that was preventing the human race from surviving and finished as a strong leader representing both humans and Partials. She was able to grow from every situation that she was faced with good or bad and you could see her evolving along the way. She was very well written and someone to look up to - she never gave up and would always try to look for the positive in everything she went through. Even when it appeared that she was giving in to a bout of self pity it didn't last long and she put it behind her to try and help everyone.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this series to anyone who loved the Hunger Games or Divergent and I feel that these books would make amazing films!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting Read, 5 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ruins (Partials, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
The final book in a trilogy make sure you read the others first so you know the characters and what great characters they are. I found them really easy to read, very fast action and exciting, hated having to put them down. Haven't read anything like this before, totally new idea, but find this out for yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good clean ending, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Ruins (Partials, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
A really good end to this series. I was concerned it wouldn't be able to tie up all the parallel narratives but the ending works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing series, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Ruins (Partials, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Make sure you read them in order. Unbelievably well written and definitely unputdownable, from book one to the final book. I still want more. Epic. Brilliant characterisation and plot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Ruins (Partials, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Loved the ending to this book. A lot of ups and downs, and a little slow at the beginning. But overall I really enjoyed. Definitely worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, but the story wasn't wholly resolved, 18 Jun 2014
I've enjoyed this whole series and read it in less than a week in order to distract myself from the World Cup.

The first two books, once you got over the child genius thing, were good ideas, cleverly plotted, with original twists that made me put down the book to think before I could carry on (this is a good thing - !). Whilst it was good to see the main plot - the survival of the partials and humans - largely resolved in this last book, there were a few problems.

Firstly, there's a lot of wandering about the US in this book, and Kira, Samm and Marcus do this separately. As do Nandita, Isolde and co; Dr Morgan's lot; the amphibious/Armin lot; the humans with the you-know-what; the giant snowman Jerry bloke; etc. It took a bit of doing to keep tabs on who was doing what.

Secondly, a seemingly important bit of the whole disaster/impending new disaster (gosh, this book is hard to write about without spoilers!) is thrown in quite late in the day, and easily resolved.

Thirdly, you'd think another new issue (Jerry/weather) would generate more problems than was implied.

Fourthly - what about the Khan issue? :( (You'll have to read it to get that.) Are there going to be more books, or did that issue just... sort itself out?

Despite these things, I did enjoy the book, hence the four stars. Bit frustrated, though :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 7 May 2014
couldn't put the book down the entire way through. love how the focus shifted from one character to another to keep things from getting boring.. only sad that it's over. would kill for another book!

4.0 out of 5 stars How it all happened, 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: Ruins (Partials, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Book 2 in the series continues where Partials. This book covers the history of how we came to be where we are and starts to piece the Puzzle together. This is also the start of our love triangle or rather triangle as we have 3 of them intercepting each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 17 Aug 2014
This review is from: Ruins (Partials, Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I have struggled to put this book down. With characters so strong willed and exciting. Kira unable to accept defeat and conquering all with the help of old friends and new.

Ruins (Partials, Book 3)