5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Xbox One storage expansion
Published 3 months ago by Alien937

Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Xbox One storage expansion, 1 Sep 2014
Alien937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I got this hard drive to use with an Xbox One. The XB1's 500GB internal drive may sound quite capacious, but it fills up surprisingly quickly, especially when the basic installations of some games (such as Wolfenstein: The New Order) take up almost 45GB on their own. There's also a theoretical speed boost to be gained from using an external drive - the XB1's internal SATA II drive is limited to 3Gb/s, while USB 3.0 maxes out at 5Gb/s - though the gain is minimal in reality, especially when using a relatively inexpensive hard drive such as this one. Loading times may be marginally reduced, though you'd be hard pushed to put exact numbers on the reductions.

What you do get with WD's Elements is large capacity for all those games you'll be buying in the future, great build quality, flawless operation, and a look that goes very well with the Xbox One. Though the drive is more rounded than the XB1, the top of it sports vents that look very similar to the vents on the right-hand side of the console. Also like the console, the LED on the front of the drive is white (a more bluish shade of white, though it's really splitting hairs).

The final point in this hard drive's favour is its noise level. It's very quiet. In fact, when used with an Xbox One it doesn't seem to add any extra noise at all - or, at least, the noise it produces simply blends in with that of the console. If you're looking for an external hard drive to expand the capacity of your Xbox One, then you can't really go wrong with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars You just can't beat that !!, 4 July 2014
Amazon Customer (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WD 3 TB USB 3.0 Elements Desktop Hard Drive for Plug-and-Play Storage (Accessory)
Opted for Free Delivery.... Ordered Monday - Dispatched Tuesday - Arrived Wednesday, you just can't beat that.

Only had it a couple of days but I can't see any problems so far. Just plugged the USB3 cable in, powered it up, was immediately recognised by my Win7 machine and I was backing up my files in a matter of minutes.

Leave it switched on and it comes on when you start windows and powers down when you close down windows.

It's whisper quiet and very cool, if it wasn't for the power light (which is only the size of a pin head) you wouldn't know it was on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - will not work out of the box with Microsoft backup on win 7, 12 Nov 2014
These drives aren't glamorous - we buy them to do an important job reliably and with a minimum of technical frustration. I got mine yesterday and was looking forward to a plug and play implementation on my win 7 64-bit pc. The absence of instructions with the drive seem to support this notion. But that is not what you get. After hours of research yesterday I now understand that the drive is not set up on delivery to work with win 7 using Microsoft backup. When I tried to do this the process ran for three hours and then failed, giving an I/O error message. You will need to download a format utility from WD and reformat the disk to 'factory default' before it will work. WD's reason for delivering the disk this way seems to be to ensure compatibility with older operating systems like XP - but I would have thought a substantial majority of today's users will be using current operating systems. Be warned - and make this change first so as not to waste your time. Subject to this irritation, the drive was well-priced and seems reasonably quiet.

5.0 out of 5 stars XBOX ONE External HDD, 6 Aug 2014
John Henderson (Bo'ness, West Lothian Scotland) - See all my reviews
This HDD has many possible uses, but this review is from the standpoint of using it as external storage on the XBOX ONE console.

After being thoroughly fed-up with having to manage the ludicrously-small internal drive of my XBOX ONE, the June 2014 system update that included the option to add external storage was extremely welcome. So, I decided to treat myself to an external HDD, and after a bit of research, decided on this offering from Western Digital.

Setting-up was very easy. Once connected, the unit was immediately recognised by the console and formatting it for use took just a few seconds. A word of warning about this though - I have read that once the HDD has been configured as an XBOX ONE device, it will no longer be usable on a computer, TV etc. Presumably, this is an anti-piracy measure or to prevent hackers & modders accessing game data and save files etc.

If, like me, you solely intend to use it as extra storage for a games console, and nothing else, then this is not a problem, but I figured it was worth mentioning in case potential buyers would expect to find multiple uses for the drive.

Design-wise, the case is visually appealing and more interesting than a generic box shape. Actually, with it's curved front and the position of the LED, it's quite reminiscent of the original model XBOX 360 when stood vertically, just on a smaller scale.

Functionality is excellent - Copying, moving and deleting games to and from the drive is nice and quick and the device is very quiet and will enter a stand-by mode (which is silent) when the console is switched off.
Along with increasing available storage space, the HDD will also significantly reduce loading times of any games installed. I've seen conflicting information regarding the spin speed of this model, whether it's 5400 or 7200rpm, but regardless, games do load faster than they do when installed on the internal 500GB drive. This is especially noticeable on laborious titles such as Forza Motorsport 5 and Call of Duty: Ghosts.

Overall, I've been delighted with my purchase so far and would highly recommend it to anyone else in the market for additional storage for their XBOX ONE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast enough to get a Speeding ticket!!, 15 Jun 2014
D. Maydew - See all my reviews
Well, I bought this to add to my already 3Tb MyCloud NAS drive, and what can I say other than, it's quick and works across all Operating Systems, that includes Linux, as I run this one as my main system. I copied all of my audio and video files from my ageing Maxtor 500Gb USB 2.0 External to this, and connected it straight to the back of the MyCloud, and was amazed by the speed. Read and Write speeds are max'ed out across the Network, and streaming HD 1080p video works flawlessly. I recommend this drive for either as an add on for the MyCloud NAS drive, or just as a standalone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!!!, 27 Sep 2014
M. A. Elgohary (Colchester, UK) - See all my reviews
Stopped working suddenly after a year, was not dropped and was not knocked was just connected to the computer. Now trying to get the data off it, have paid so far £240 just for initial checks and reports. No guarantee the data will be retrievable!

5.0 out of 5 stars external XBox One drive, 9 Dec 2014
Used this drive to replace the 88% full internal drive on my XBox One. Does everything I need it to and for such a cheap price it makes sense to use this as an external drive. My XBox One formatted the drive, allowed me to name it and then asked if I wanted to use this as my primary drive!
I've installed all of my games and game saves onto this drive and it shows a mere 9.8% full!
I Would highly recommend any XBox Oner using this drive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not reliable, 30 Aug 2014
Doucemelody (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Poor external drive...

Bought the 3TB version a year ago and filled it up with movies to about 1.5TB and took great care of it.

The on/off button is clunky as hell. I have to hold it down for ages until it switches on properly.

Now, it keeps stuttering, takes ages to load and can't play large movies anymore...

Very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just plug it in and copy copy copy, 1 Nov 2014
This is absolutely great I just plugged it in to XP, and windows 7 machine's and both recognised the drive straight away its already formated with NTFS writing very fast using the USB 3.0 port. The drive is increadibly silent and only has the very unobtrusive operating white light on the front which pulses when the data is read or writes to the drive. One thing I do like as it spins down when not in use after long periods of inactivity. Its very quick to start up when accessed. There is some trial backup software included for me its a bounus although I didnt need to use it as my purposes to make the odd backup is enough. The price is reasonable and the case size has small footprint and looks nice on most desktop area. I should recommend this drive it great.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4KB sector drive with plenty of space, 5 Sep 2014
S Adey (UK) - See all my reviews
Nice big drive for price and delivered quickly by Amazon despite not paying for delivery. Allowed me to backup a laptop easily, although be aware that backup software may not like to restore from an image with 4KB sectors to a physical disk partition with 512 bytes sectors.