Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 17 August 2003
Initially released in 1976, Marvin was under pressure to come up with the goods after What's Going On in 1970 and and Let's Get It On in 1973. Not being the most prolific of artists at the time [compared to say Stevie Wonder's prodidgious output in the same period] he finally collaborated with Leon Ware who had already written most of the songs [many in conjunction with Diana Ross's brother T-Boy Ross]for his own Musical Massage album ... released a few years later and also worth checking out.
Unlike the classic What's Going On and Let's Get It On, this album is not a concept album as such and could best be described as a love letter to his young sweetheart of the time - Janis Hunter who he met during the Let's Get It On sessions, whilst still married to Berry Gordy's sister Anna, and whose name is mentioned [or moaned erotically] throughout the album.
The songs are haunting, erotic [listen to Soon I'll Be Loving You Again, where he promises his beloved 'Some Head' ]... the vocals are just unbelievable .. both on lead vocals where Marvin is at his sensuous best and on background ... where you'd swear the best vocalists Motown had to offer must have been assembled but it's actually layer upon layer of Marvin, sounding like the most heavenly and soulful choir.
The playing is as you'd expect from the best session guys of the time ... Joe Sample on keyboards, James Gadson on drums, Chuck Rainey on Bass and assembled great funk guitarists ... Melvin [wah wah]Ragin, Ray Parker jnr and Dennis Coffey ...
The production and complicated arrangements by Leon Ware are outstanding and the album has a 'groove' and 'feel' to it that in my opinion has never been replicated since.
Like many of his albums 'I Want You' has Gaye's peaks not so much coming from the singles [although I Want You and After The Dance are both great tracks], but rather the album cuts and the totality of the effort itself.

Disc One is a remastered copy of the original album with 2 un-released instrumental tracks .. Disc 2 consists of previously un-released alternative versions, and a couple of new tracks.
I loved the original album so much, so to get to hear new or different versions of these songs is such a treat. I cannot recommend this or the original version highly enough.
on 20 March 2002
This is one of Marvins most under-rated albums, but one of his finest. Full of sensual soul, gorgeous melodies, lush string arrangements, all topped off with THAT voice- mercurial, angelic, sexy, vulnerable. Marvin is not just one of souls finest voices, but is one of popular music's finest vocalists, not to mention his instrumental and songwriting skills.
My only gripe about this album is that there are a few songs that suddenly fizzle out when they appear to be just getting started, but while they last they are fantastic songs.
on 8 March 2007
I love this album sooo much!!!I am a huge, huge fan and I brought this album after watching the Marvin Gaye DVD, 'Live in Amsterdam: 1976' a few years ago. He gave a live performance of 'All the Way 'Round' and I just fell in love with the song so I decided to buy the whole album and I was not dissapointed. The album has been put onto my ipod and has been played constantly!!Marvin is at his sensual best and its just a very smooth and chilled album. I know its classed as a lovers album but I just enjoy playing it when I want to relax as the songs are very mellow.I love 'All the Way Round', 'Since I had You' and 'I Want You' the most but all the songs have their charm. I actually think its stronger then the 'Lets Get It On' album which I think is quite patchy at times. The only criticism is that some songs like 'Come Live With Me Angel' and 'Since I Had You' have a female voice constantly groaning, supposedly in the throes of orgasmic pleasure but its very, very annoying and prevents me from playing it loud as I think my parents would have something to say about it but apart from that, its a very polished and smooth album by Mr. Gaye.I strongly recommend it, you won't be dissapointed!!!
VINE VOICEon 10 March 2010
When people talk about Marvin Gaye's masterpieces they invariably talk about "Let's Get It On" and "What's Going On", but "I Want You" certainly deserves to be ranked alongside them as one of his greatest works.
This record came out in 1976, three years after "Let's Get It On", but like it and "What's Going On" it develops a sound that rolls along through the album, as tracks blend together and loops are re-used, presaging the modern soul and hip-hop sound that Gaye so massively influenced.
The sound is a little lighter than the other two albums mentioned here. While they live in a more soulful, Motown kind of sound, "I Want You" ebbs more towards a mild disco feel (not the Disco of Candi Staton - much more understated) with a touch more funk.
The album wasn't received that warmly on its release, but has since been recognised as a landmark record that formed something of a base from which disco set off.
The lyrics, as per, are about women and love. The music, as per, is incredible.
A brilliantly crafted album that sits together tightly and as flawlessly as is possible.
on 3 December 1999
I'll keep this short and sweet, the I want you album by Marvin is simply brilliant. His voice, lyrics, the instruments and hamonies used, and most importantly the feeling that comes over you is comparable to only one other non MG album ...
on 8 January 2010
When I first purchased 'what's going on' I played it continuously for about a month. No other album has surpassd that fact. I am a vinyl junkie, with a 1000 plus soul,funk, disco, rb, latin etc. So when I say the above, that is a feat.
'I want you' is up there with 'what's going on'. But it is different. It true sensual soul, rather than political messages. Indeed the linear notes to the deluxe edition hightlight that MG was 'in love'. Again, he had the music, the lyrics of no other Leon Haywood, this man's music is in it's own right considered a soul legend. The input of Leon Haywood, and his own album with the original 'I want you' material 'musical message' is great too. So soul lovers, midnight soul, sensual soul, dreamy soul, Ohio Players soul, buy it.
VINE VOICEon 23 September 2002
This is probably one of Marvin's most overlooked works. The music was written by Leon Ware at the same time as his classic masterpiece "Musical Massage". This album flows from start to finish and really deserves more recognition for the masterpiece that it is.
on 27 April 2011
There are very few albums that are in this class. once you have played it to the end, it's difficult to replace it with any other record. You start scanning the brain files for something better to play,but can't come up with anything so just play it again. This album just goes on and on like an endless irish coffee, its so smooth and pefect that you can't unplug yourself. It's a very pleasant if somewhat scary experiance as in 40 years of listening to music I have never come across a more addictive record.
on 7 May 2013
Truly brilliant. Harmonies fantastic, musical arrangement amazing and Marvin at is very best. This has to be in every Marvin Gaye's fans collection.
on 6 October 2000
This is as good as soul gets. As good as Marvin's own "Let's get it on". Deeply sexual, sophisticated, vulnerable and immensely moving, it stands out even in a career that produced some of the great moments in music as a true highlight.