5.0 out of 5 stars We survived the perfect storm,
Published 4 months ago by Magnus Johnson

2.0 out of 5 stars Great material for a strong story but fails to deliver
Rather mediocor writing, bulked out with lots of facts, not particularly interesting. The story could have been told a lot better, quite disappionted overall.
Published 4 months ago by Gerry

5.0 out of 5 stars We survived the perfect storm,, 18 July 2014
Magnus Johnson (UK) - See all my reviews
I was on the other boat, the Northern Pride and met Matt briefly in London. We travelled together to Cape Town and spent a few hours on the quayside before we joined ship and went our separate ways. This book is a faithful account of his story and an accurate depiction of the life of a fisheries observer in some of the most dangerous and treacherous waters in the world. My ship was bigger (and didn't sink) but we had our fair share of problems - inadequate radio mast, autopilot stopped working, clogged filters, life rafts strapped down so that they would not have deployed even if we had sunk. The most appalling thing to me was the fact that the crew were untrained, poorly equipped (as Matt's book relates) and were paid something like US$20 a week for 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week. Matt "had greatness thrust upon him" through the experience he survived - I'm not sure if I would have behaved so heroically and I admire him for both his actions and for telling his story so honestly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping account of fishing disaster, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Last Man Off: A True Story of Disaster and Survival on the Antarctic Seas (Kindle Edition)
A gripping story of a fishing tragedy, taking the reader carefully through the life of a deep sea fisherman and the relationships that are built living on the edge of the world, fishing for a species many will never even of heard of. I couldn't put the book down as the narrative builds towards disaster, and the author has obviously been very careful to present a balanced account of the various individuals and their roles and responsibilities.

This novel would sit well alongside "the cruel sea" and "the perfect storm" - I found it fascinating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Devoured in 24 hours!, 17 July 2014
I couldn't put this down. Totally gripping. Even though you know something bad is going to happen you want to read every detail up to that point as well. The 'regular' dangers of working on a long line fishing vessel are also completely apparent. As a marine conservation advisor I really appreciated the factual and scientific detail. In the end it's an amazing story of survival that you'll recommend to your friends and buy as a gift. The abridged version, which is being read as Radio 4 book of the week, is a great listen too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping true tale. Couldn't put it down, 16 July 2014
I bought this book after hearing about it on the radio. I found it gripping. A truly awful disaster for anyone to have to go through but explained in such a humble way. I wasn't aware there was so much involved and the author has written the experience in such a way that I couldn't put the book down. Certainly have a lot more respect for what these guys went through, and continue to do so.

A true hero and well worth a read if you haven't. I have recommended this book to friends and family too.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing true story, 16 July 2014
What an amazing story! I was gripped from the first few chapters where the author builds our understanding of the boat, crew and work he was to undertake. Written so humbly and without unnecessary sensationalising, Matt Lewis really is the hero of this very real & tragic tale. Well worth reading & buying another copy to give as a gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 16 July 2014
I really enjoyed reading the book. It gives an insight in how different people react and respond in times of disaster. I actually found the facts in it interesting and had never hear of patagonian tooth fish till now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 17 July 2014
Fantastic! Gripping account of one of the most dangerous jobs in the world and this story illustrates just why - graphically. I read about Matt Lewis in the The Times and had to read the full story. Glad I did and even more glad I experienced it from the comfort of my armchair!

5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing story. It's like something from a really gripping ..., 16 July 2014
M. Euden (UK) - See all my reviews
What an amazing story. It's like something from a really gripping movie but this is a true story as experienced by the author. Even though you know what is going to happen, it is impossible to put the book down as the reader is taken on the journey from start to finish. Excellent read. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 1 Aug 2014
Just finished this book and thought it was great. This isn't the type of book that I would normally read but it was recommended to me and with all the positive coverage I thought I would give it a read. Through his descriptions and writing style Matt draws you in to what life was like on the boat and how they had to struggle to survive. The added sections about the wildlife was very interesting and helped paint the picture in my mind. I would highly recommend this book to anyone. It is a real story of survival and shows how brutal mother nature can be.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 18 July 2014
A great story, particularly as it's true!
Enough detail to keep you informed, but not too much to complicate it