5.0 out of 5 stars A French Affair
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, a tender and touching story of betrayal, loss and new love.

Published 8 months ago by A. Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars a nice story
Published 5 months ago by Anne

5.0 out of 5 stars A French Affair, 23 April 2014
A. Rose (Devon & Menorca) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: À bientôt (Kindle Edition)

Anna, our lead character, is attending the funeral of her husband who had tragically died in a crash. She is calm, not tearful or grieving instead she is watchful of the congregation. Which one could have been having an affair with her husband? The story delves into the lives of Anna, her children and briefly dips in and out of Matthew's affair.

The book is set mainly in Portsmouth, Anna's home, and St Pierre in France where Anna initially took a few days break in rural France to think, relax and just be away from home. The descriptions of the countryside, food and lifestyle of her new French friends is so realistic on a rainy afternoon in the UK that you could almost feel yourself carried away to rural France. The friendships she makes there are deep, true and lasting, giving Anna cause to return again and again.

This isn't a chick-lit story of affairs, although who the 'other woman' was is always in the back of your mind, it's a beautifully crafted two year diary of Anna coping with loss, children who are at times difficult and the guilt of finding someone she cares for after her husband's death.

I noticed another reviewer had said that the story was predictable and guessed who the 'other woman' was early in the book. I don't think the point of knowing who it was is the main element of the story, it's the suspense of the slow dawning and eventual revelation that gives strength to the story and also to Anna. I felt that there were almost two layers to the book depending on how fast you read the book and the state of your mind. Fast and frivolous 'beach reading' gives a gratuitous light relationship story whereas a slower more thoughtful reading session gives a warm glow to the heart and an engrossing deep feeling for a woman's guilt at the lack of grief she's feeling for losing her husband and the urge to move on. All the characters are realistic and likeable, except the ones we're not supposed to like, and the story moves at a good pace without areas of boredom or over-description.

Overall, I think that Patricia Dixon is a talented and competent writer who has put together a great debut novel and has more to offer. I shall certainly be looking out for any future publications.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Read!, 22 May 2014
Silly Wizardess (Caithness, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: À bientôt (Kindle Edition)
Story, characters, relationships, location descriptions ... all brilliant. My only negative criticisms are to do with spelling. grammar, punctuation and run-on-sentences all of which are rather liberally sprinkled throughout the book. I had to make myself carry on reading for several chapters, until the story hooked me more than the mistakes put me off. I read this on my Kindle, so possibly the errors don't appear in the actual book? If the errors are in the original manuscript, then perhaps for the next book an professional editor and/or proof reader could assist the author's "little army of faithful proof readers" to polish it up. I will happily buy novel number two, polished or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars must read!!, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: À bientôt (Kindle Edition)
Theres not many books that no matter how tired my eyes are make me carry on reading,
Ive even found myself reading inbetween clients at work. Will definitely recommend this book to
other book readers.

3.0 out of 5 stars a nice story, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: À bientôt (Kindle Edition)
I liked the story and characters in this book. However, I think it has been badly proof read. There were a lot of punctuation and spelling mistakes, which spoilt the reading experience. I think that unfortunately this is happening with cheaper ebooks, which is a shame because any novel deserves to be correctly written and proof read. Some of the mistakes were glaringly obvious computer spellchecker typos and it did get on my nerves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bientot, 12 Oct 2014
This review is from: À bientôt (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this story as i am a francophile and we'd love to buy our own peice of france eventually. I have four kids aged between 9 and 22 and could relate to all the family childhood memories, squabbles, teasing, sibling rivalry etc. I even read out parts to my husband as they were similiar to our homelife. I liked the fact that the childfen in the story were all different as all ours are different characters but love being together (most of the time!!) and miss each other when they are apart. I too wanted a modern black tree but kids wouldn't allow me to not have our kids xmas memory tree and to be truthful i could not have parted with it either! This book made me laugh out loud and cry which in my view is sign of a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first novel, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: À bientôt (Kindle Edition)
a brilliant story about losing love, betrayal and learning g to love again.you are drawn i from page 1 and really care about Anna, the lead character. A page turner full of laughter and tears and the quirky little things that makes relationships into families.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely read, 13 Nov 2014
This review is from: À bientôt (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this book very much. Easy reading for holiday or when travelling. Had me smiling sometimes, but also sometimes sad. Didn't want it to end and will look forward to reading more from Patricia Dixon.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great read, 30 Oct 2014
Written from the heart
A book you can't and didn't to put down
Rings true if you have children, lost a husband, or just love France, but even without the above still a brilliant book

5.0 out of 5 stars À bientôt - what a book, 29 Nov 2014
This review is from: À bientôt (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely couldnt put this book down, was captured from the first couple of pages, looking forward to more. Thank you for a highly enjoyable read and a great life/french experience

5.0 out of 5 stars Very very readable, 21 Nov 2014
This review is from: À bientôt (Kindle Edition)
Couldn't put my Kindle down, on annual leave from work & have read this in one sitting, can't wait to read the next book,which is sitting in my Kindle waiting to be read

À bientôt