5.0 out of 5 stars Rufus Roo big pocket travel jacket.
What I call a 'carry on'. Basically what you cannot put into you hand baggage due to weight restrictions, you stuff in your Roo. As you are wear it when booking in, no airline can refuse to board you/charge you extra/or confiscate it.
Excellent for cameras, laptops, tablets and whatever you think you can put in it.
Already have beaten 'you-know-who' airlines and...
Published on 1 April 2013 by Quadnut

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent jacket (since upgraded to the Scottevest)
I bought this for a flight having been charged a ridiculous price for excess baggage and vowing never to let it happen again.

The jacket isn't stylish, and the neck cuts into you if you have any weight in it (like I did). But it buys peace of mind and that is worth a fortune. It can also pay for itself in one flight.

I found myself getting stressed...
Published 13 months ago by Mister G

5.0 out of 5 stars Rufus Roo big pocket travel jacket., 1 April 2013
This review is from: Rufus Roo Travel Jacket (Misc.)
Already have beaten 'you-know-who' airlines and boarded with 17kg of luggage, 10 in a case and 7 in my Roo.
There is one glaring problem. The neck part of the Roo could be made more comfortable. In my case, 7kg does bite into the neck muscles. Having said that all you have to do is wear it as a jacket when necessary and sling it over your shoulders when not. QED.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Backup for Travelling, 28 Jan. 2012
J. Wolfe (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rufus Roo Travel Jacket (Misc.)
I'm pleasantly surprised. The jacket is thin & light since it folds away to a very small size and weighs only 260g. Yet, the material seems strong, the stitching is clean, and the zips are of high quality + move smoothly.

This should be very useful as a backup in case the people at the airport check-in get a bit over-zealous. It's happened to me before and it was a great inconvenience. It is perhaps a little expensive, but you'd pay a lot more if you go over your baggage allowance, or have to check in another piece of luggage.

Definitely recommended if you travel right up to the weight limit, and you expect to pick up souvenirs on your trip. I would have given it 5 starts if it had an inner lining.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent jacket (since upgraded to the Scottevest), 17 April 2014
Mister G (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rufus Roo Travel Jacket (Misc.)

I found myself getting stressed when packing. With my Rufus Roo, all my packing fears vanished - that is worth a lot. The Rufus Roo was my insurance policy - if your carry on bag is too heavy, just transfer things to the Rufus Roo (who says you can't put them back in your bag later to take the strain off your neck?).

I have since upgraded to the Scottevest QUEST jacket because I wanted something more stylish, more heavy duty, with more pockets, and which did not misshape so rapidly when loaded up. The QUEST is their newest travel jacket with 42 pockets (as opposed to 24 on the original Scottevest travel vest). I had to order it from the USA as Scottevest stopped selling via Amazon in the autumn of 2013. It is nearly four times the price of the Rufus Roo (including £24 import duty, and shipping which was £15 (during a 50% off international shipping promotion)) but you get what you pay for. It is infinitely more stylish (there is no comparison in that respect) and carries weight better.

The Rufus Roo was my introduction to this type of jacket. With hindsight I wish I had gone straight for the Scottevest (but then I would have bought the older 24-pocket vest - the QUEST did not exist then). It's not stylish but it does the job. If you want style, buy the Scottevest and consider what you would have spent on the Rufus Roo a discount on the Scottevest. But I do not mean to undermine the Rufus Roo - it is a great introduction, a quarter of the price, available faster, no international shipping to pay for and can pay for itself in one trip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful but quirky jacket, 12 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Rufus Roo Travel Jacket (Misc.)
I've been using this every day for a month now. It's much lighter than you might imagine, being made out of the same silky thin fabric as those shopping bags you can fold up into a tiny wad. That means you can wear it comfortably on the hottest day, but on the minus side the pockets get weighed down and distorted by anything but the lightest items. As other reviewers have noted, the reinforced neck seam cuts uncomfortably into your neck when the jacket is loaded. You can avoid this by turning it down. The pockets seem very flimsy but so far have withstood the keys and mobile I've carried in them. The negative review by John Hancock ("Do not buy this junk it is really thin and looks ugly. It looks like youre carrying explosives when its packed") gave me a good laugh because it's quite true. On the other hand, this is a unique garment that I would recommend for safely carrying lighter stuff such as travel documents. Bit over-priced though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for flying on a budget, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Rufus Roo Travel Jacket (Misc.)
Combined with the Cabin Max lightweight case I have also reviewed, this enabled me to spend a week in Spain, flying with easyJet without having to pay for luggage to go in the hold. I didn't overdo it, but I was able to take my tablet and kindle in the large pockets of the jacket and was able to carry all those other bits and pieces you'd rather have to hand on the flight. As it happens, I was travelling with somebody who had paid for hold luggage and when she checked in, easyJet offered to put my Cabin Max case in the hold for free, which meant I didn't have to bother putting shampoos, toothpaste etc. in a separate bag to get through security.
One criticism of the jacket is that there seems to be a limited range of colours per size. Also, time will tell how durable the jacket is. The zips weren't always QUITE as smooth as I would have liked and the fabric is thin, meaning it's difficult to predict whether or not the seams will stand multiple use. Hopefully, durability will justify the somewhat high price and, of course, it will need to last for more than one trip before it pays for itself.
Despite these reservations, the jacket still comes very highly recommended and, unlike a cheaper multi-pocket sporting jacket, this can be worn without the wearer looking like a blood sports fan, though in black, the jacket may look a bit scary for other reasons.

3.0 out of 5 stars it will help you carry on but..., 20 July 2013
This review is from: Rufus Roo Travel Jacket (Misc.)
Will do what it states - allow you to carry on more luggage. The fabric is poor quality rather thin and renders the garment rather embarrassing to wear because of this. Q is how much would it cost to pay for extra luggage vs buying this.
I would recommend it for internal flights or short breaks - for long haul pay up for extra luggage weight.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good buy!, 25 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Rufus Roo Travel Jacket (Misc.)
Very good. Enabled us to carry all the excess we had - small laptop, computer, kindle, camera, binoculars, some clothes. It looks a bit flimsy but so far has not come apart. I will see how long it lasts!

3.0 out of 5 stars Vastly overpriced, 2 Jan. 2014
Graham Anderson "hanzando" (Altrincham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rufus Roo Travel Jacket (Misc.)
Its ok and will do a limited job, but vastly overpriced, quite flimsy and not as much storage as I thought there would be. Other comments about size are a bit misleading, I bought a medium due to comments and find it "snug", I am 5ft 11in and 12 stone.

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy. Better to buy a proper Gilet, 11 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Rufus Roo Travel Jacket (Misc.)
This sounds (and is) a good idea. But I found the product pretty lightweight. With it fully loaded you would look a twerp and it would hang appallingly.
There are plenty of photographic waistcoats/gilets around which would serve the purpose better (if not quiet so many pockets) and which would look better for other circumstances.

1.0 out of 5 stars All in all I was very disappointed., 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Rufus Roo Travel Jacket (Misc.)
The quality was less than I expected. Particuarly with the zips being difficult to open and close.

The pockets are all on the outside and two of them I couldnt get my hand in, due to their size.

All in all I was very disappointed.

Rufus Roo Travel Jacket