5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compact PC
This is a superb little machine as a basic home PC. It has a tiny footprint and can be mounted behind a monitor using the mount and screws provided. The Core i3 processor is not particularly quick but it is capable of all office tasks, basic photo editing and is also fast enough to stream media to a TV screen.

These are very quiet in operation and also run very...
Published 11 months ago by Comical Engineer

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd never bought
This was not a good buy I cou use it as it was asking for a password and had to pay £40 for it resetting I wont buy off this guy again
Published 2 months ago by Simon R Clarkson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent compact PC, 13 Jan 2014
Comical Engineer "comicaleng" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Acer Revo RL80 Nettop PC (Intel Core i3 1.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WLAN, Integrated Graphics, Free Dos) (Personal Computers)

These are very quiet in operation and also run very cool so are very unobtrusive regardless of where you wish to use it. There are 2x USB3 ports and 4x USB2 but other than this, there is little room for expansion in the tiny case.

It has good wifi and the 4GB RAM and 1TB HDD are good capacity. Note that this machine is not supplied with a keyboard or mouse. If you want it as a media centre for mounting behind a TV then get a decent wireless keyboard. Otherwise I would recommend a cherry Stream keyboard and Logitech mouse.

Note that as provided, the machine has no operating system and you will need to allow for this in the cost. I have one of these with Linux installed and it is absolutely brilliant (my personal preference is for Kubuntu, but Mint is also very good).

So, I got one of these, used an old keyboard and mouse from a broken PC and fitted it behind a 17" monitor that cost me £7 from a car boot sale loaded Linux up and now have a perfectly good PC for buttons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine, 4 April 2014
I bought this primarily to use as a media centre, I have a large movie collection and wanted to rip my blu-ray collection and use XBMC to have all my movies in one place through a NAS. So I also bought a Samsung blu-ray drive and connected them both up, using my AV Receiver via HDMI to connect to the Revo. Easy to set up, although be aware - without a full HD TV, some of the apps on Windows 8 will not work and the screen resolution has to be set lower (I set this up on my old 720 TV to get running, but now on my 1080 TV and no problems).

As a media centre through XBMC (and blu-ray rips on HD MP4 conversion, about 10gb per file), am really happy with the picture and audio quality. There's no stuttering on playback and my audio sounds great through my 5.1 surround sound. For general web browsing it's also good and occasionally I use it to work at home so e-mail, Office etc all seem fine. It's very quiet and discreet, prompting people to ask what it is - they're pretty amazed when you show them it's a media centre and even more so when seeing a movie playing!

Overall, if you're wanting to do a similar thing to me this is probably the best all round machine out there. Like anything, you could spend a lot more on a bespoke HTPC with optical drives included, huge storage capacity etc. The cost of this, a blu-ray drive and a NAS (I use a WD MyCloud) being about £550, I've worked out that I'd have had to spend north of £700 for an all-in-one machine with a similar HDD capacity to my NAS and good quality blu-ray player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for home theatre use in living room, 29 April 2014
We wanted a small but capable PC for use in the living room. This box comfortably does the job with ease. Nice and quiet (very important), responsive, easy to set up and use (Windows 8.x is different but in no way difficult).

Only gripe would be the extra pre-loaded software, but a few minutes spent in Add and Remove Programs within Control Panel soon dealt with them

4.0 out of 5 stars Not available with Windows 7 for a reason, 7 Jun 2014
Tash (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Revo RL80 to connect to my plasma screen in my living room and use as a media player to view downloaded films.

I chose the cheaper version without an operating system to use a copy of windows 7 I already owned. I tried several times to install windows 7, but although I appeared to have installed it correctly when the PC rebooted the Free Dos kept appearing. I installed Windows 7 using both a USB stick and a USB DVD drive and on each and every install, the Free Dos appeared.

After looking on various forums I found other people with similar problems. The only solution that seemed to work was to delete the Free Dos with a hard drive reformat. Although this meant that the drivers installed on the hard drive would also be deleted, it was not a problem as all drivers were available on the Acer site.

After reformatting the hard drive Windows 7 did install successfully, unfortunately though after downloading all the drivers to the PC, there appeared to still be a problem with the wireless card which would not connect to my router.

I contacted Acer via their site and was eventually told 4 days later that the problem was due to the PC not supporting Windows 7. After reformatting the drive yet again I installed Windows 8.1 and the PC now works flawlessly.

So to recap, this PC will run Windows 7 but the wireless card will not work and if you check Windows Device Manager you will see various exclamation marks indicating problems with the Network Adapters no matter what drivers you install, although having said that you can use the internet but you have to use an Ethernet cable. Installing Windows 8.1 will enable you to use the wireless card and no problems are indicated via Device Manager.

If you can live with Windows 8 then that’s fine, personally I found Windows 8 impossible to live with. It appears to have been designed by a teenager who has no experience of using a desktop or laptop only a tablet with a touch screen. Also people with plasma screens that a not full HD i.e. 720p, will find that the Windows 8 apps will not open as the screen resolution is not sufficient. I uninstalled all the apps then downloaded and installed Classic Shell which makes Windows 8.1 look and feel like Windows 7.

The PC is good value for the money, it is practically silent and it enables you to surf the net fully on your main TV. If you download XBMC which I did, this then opens up your TV to a massive number of catch up TV channels, foreign channels and free film channels I never even knew existed. Also after hooking up an external hard drive with hundreds of films on, I let XBMC use a movie scraper which collects information on every movie I have and displays not just the movie title, but all the artwork that is found on the DVD cover so the films can be viewed as thumbs with all the film details.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than pleased but it doesn't like Windows 7, 19 Aug 2014
C. A. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
Brilliant and compact meaning that using it as a HTPC I could mount it on a vesa mount behind the TV. Be aware though that these little Nettops are designed with Windows 8 in mind and don't really like Windows 7 very much. This lead to a few initial teething problems with installation and drivers. I still haven't found one for the wired network connection because everything on the drivers disc that comes with it is for Windows 8. Overall though I'm, happy, it's out of sight and completely silent when running.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little device, 8 July 2014
I use this device as a basic home PC with linux mint, it is behind my monitor.... no complaints at all

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd never bought, 12 Oct 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars ... turns out it was me being a Tit all good now, 21 Aug 2014
Pain at first with no disk drive as I couldn't get it to boot from usb but turns out it was me being a Tit all good now

4.0 out of 5 stars Lacks Su Pollard picture, 9 May 2014
Not as versatile as a packet of Bic pens, this nettop allows you to curse and swear at Windows 8 like a pro.
Would have got five stars had it contained a jigsaw of Su Pollard.