5.0 out of 5 stars Superb DVD
Published 8 months ago by A. Jay

3.0 out of 5 stars Packaging lets this set down.
This is worth only 3 stars. Ok the dvd is worth having because it's a terrific Mott performance. However as one reviewer says the packaging is bare bones. No booklet. No concert photos. No interviews with band members. The packaging is bootleg standard even though it is an official release. Could do better Concert LIve.
Published 7 months ago by JMasopust

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb DVD, 1 April 2014
A. Jay (Weston-super-Mare) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) (Audio CD)
This box set includes two music CDs of the Manchester gig in November 2013, along with a full length DVD of the same concert. The CDs don't really add much to the previous versions of concerts from 2009 and the 70's but it is the DVD which is the gem here. The quality is excellent, with many different camera angles. This is the first ever full length DVD of a MTH concert, and is a fantastic record of one of the world's best live acts in action. An essential purchase for Mott admirers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential purchase for Mott fans for DVD alone, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) (Audio CD)
Despite my extreme reservations on the long delay, (see my comments before release) I recommend that all Mott fans purchase this release, which represents very good value.

What we have here is a slightly mixed bag, but I recommend it for the DVD alone and fully endorse the comments made by others. It's a must have.

Parts of the audio are superb but it does need a few plays. The first time I played it was like when I saw them in 2009 and they started with 'Hymn for the Dudes' and Ian's voice was struggling and I was not sure I was going to enjoy it. There is no doubt that Ian's voice is not always strong enough, and he clearly struggles sometimes straining it to try to sing over the famous Mott barrage these days. But frankly, without wishing to be ageist, it is amazing that he is still doing it, when most people are long retired, or no longer around to rock the roll. His integrity and enthusiasm is never in doubt and the band instrumentally do manage to reproduce the power of the Group in their hey-day.

There are some excellent bits and the good, far outweigh the not so good. There is a brilliant 9 minute plus version of 'the Journey' which I would say is the centre piece of the concert, with an excellent arrangement being a medley incorporating 'When my minds gone' and 'No wheels to ride' and works just great. I also think they do an exceptional 'Ballad of Mott' and there is a touching 'Waterloo', surely one of Ian's best ballads.

Overand gets his day in the sun with an excellent ''Born late 58' and the real surprise is 'Soft Ground '(my least favourite track off the 'Dudes' album and yet it works really well live) which is much better than the original studio version. Verden Allen's vocal is excellent.

I believe there has been some overdubbing as 'Roll Away the Stone' has a complete vocal and Ian sounds in excellent voice on some tracks and yet appears to be struggling on others. Frankly I don't give a damn, as after all, the audio is for posterity and what sounds great when attending a concert, often doesn't sound so good at lower volume in the comfort of your sitting room. I would have been happy if even more had been touched up in the studio, but can see that there would then be criticism levelled for that. There are other surprises, but I don't want to spoil them all.

On one track Ian incorporates the Stones 'The Last Time' chorus slightly amending it to "this could be the very last time" saying this a number of times and you do think that live, it may well have been. In which case I think the momentum should
not be lost and they should go back into a studio to do some studio redos of some of the tracks from both the 2009 and 2013 concerts as well as others, which I have already suggested in my remarks rant. My wish list would include:

Sea Diver with Verden's organ and Mick Ralphs soaring guitar as done live on the 72 tour replacing the strings

Redo Sweet Angeline, as the studio version was not as good as it as it could have been on 'Brain Capers'

How about a long medley covering both Dylan's 'Like a Rolling Stone' (as we don't have a full studio version of the former, even though they recorded it for some BBC sessions, now sadly believed lost) and 'Knocking on Heaven's Door' which they did an excellent version of at the 2009 concert I saw.

I also still believe they could do a great version of the track they originally passed on back in 72 (according to Bowie, if not Hunter) as a single; namely the great and under-rated 'Drive in Saturday'. The descending chorus is just made for them to do a great version, especially now there is no pressure of being labelled Bowie's puppets, which would have been the case back in the day, if they had recorded it as the follow up to 'Dudes'. I think we need the great Stan Tippins on the case.

A final comment on the concert, I disagree with one of the other reviews, as I think there is enough track variation from the 2009 concerts to make it an essential purchase for Mott fans, while not being one you would hold up to try to sway the uninitiated. It just needs to be played LOUD to get the real Mott feel and then the really good far outweighs some of the weaker moments.

There is no doubt collectively they still pack a tremendous punch, with Mick Ralphs having some nice different lead guitar solos and its interesting to hear his take on the 'Hoople' material which could be developed further in a studio setting (as well as being kinder to Ian's voice as he would not strain to be heard over the music) and also with Martin Chambers being the great, consistent powerhouse he always is, subbing for the much missed Buffin.

I say buy it and play it loud, just in case it is the final chapter of this great band.

3.0 out of 5 stars Packaging lets this set down., 17 May 2014
JMasopust "CAPTAIN BLOOD" (ECCLES, MANCHESTER United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A must!, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) (Audio CD)
What a pleasant surprise this is - as a previous review states it is the DVD that shines, I was lucky enough to be there that night and although it was a fantastic gig the sound was decidedly dodgy at times - (The great crowd singing on Roll Away The Stone stems from the fact that none of us could hear Ian Hunter so had to fill in for him!) .....but this is great, really well filmed capturing the on-stage banter and general madness of Mott live.

5.0 out of 5 stars mott revisited, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) (Audio CD)
one of the best rock n' roll bands and thanx to guy stevens, mott the hoople reformed in 2009 to do six concerts at the Apollo hammersmith all sold out and mr ian hunter could not understand why all the audience stood up through the concert.
2013 saw mott the hoople re tour, this cd/dvd was a originally a recording on cd from Manchester and dvd from London, but this did not happen, all recorded in Manchester. being both at the London gigs most disappointed. I agree with the last two reviews, get this for the dvd. .

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant 3 disc set, 17 Dec 2014
This review is from: Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) (Audio CD)
Brilliant 3 disc set. The live 2 disc cd of the concert is basically a re-run of the 2009 Hammersmith shows (give or take a few tracks), though the DVD makes the purchase of this set a must.. If your a fan of Ian Hunter and Mott The Hoople then this set is a great reminder of the 5 dates in the UK in November 2013. I was at the Glasgow concert. A lot of complaints about the types of venues used for a band of Mott's reputation, which kind of messed with the atmosphere. But the quality of Hunter in particular shines through. The sound quality is brilliant and the dvd is brilliantly filmed..

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 29 Jun 2014
RAK (North Olmsted, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) (Audio CD)
Really loved it. Reminded me when I was at the concert in 1974. I thought they played all their hits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) (Audio CD)
Great item fast delivery! Thanxs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mott The Hoople Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd), 30 May 2014
12stringbassist "....." (NorthWest, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) (Audio CD)
I have to say I am biased on this one. I was at this show at the Manchester Apollo and the DVD in particular is going to be one of the most treasured in my collection. Superbly filmed and a superb band. We probably won't get them coming around again. Get this before it goes out of print.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent stuff from one of my favourite bands. You're just a rock and roll queen, 4 Sep 2014
M. D. Addleton (Salisbury, Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) (Audio CD)
Magnificent stuff from one of my favourite bands. You're just a rock and roll queen, you know what I mean....and I'm just a rock and roll star! The DVD (third disc) is superb, excellent quality of the live gig in Manchester. Well worth the money!

Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd)
Live 2013 (2cd + Dvd) by Mott The Hoople (Audio CD - 2014)