5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!
This is the fifth book in the Bone Secrets series and it was just as good as the previous books, in some ways it was even better.

Published 13 months ago by Mich_Mc

Is Kendra Elliot a 14 year old girl?
The writing style certainly is good school girl standard but not what is expected from a serious novelist.
I struggled to the 10% mark, read another book and tried again but only made it to 14% before giving up completely.
This is the first book I failed to complete - I'm in my late 60's and average a book per week.
Published 7 months ago by ranald mcdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Vanished (Callahan & McLane Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

When 11yr old Henley gets abducted on her way to school it brings her slightly unusual family together as they aide in the search. Secrets come to light and tempers rise as they all must face the skeletons in their closets in order to get to bottom of why this is happening, in the hopes that they can bring Henley safely home. Mason is confronted by his own perceived failures as he tries to be there for his son and his new family, he is on the outskirts looking in but he is determined to step up and be the father his son needs. Unfortunately, Mason has issues of his own, someone is attacking him professionally and he is under scrutiny from all sides, he finds an ally in Ava McLane as they band together to get the family through each day with their sanity intact.

Emotions are running high in this psychological thriller and I was glued to my kindle screen from start to finish. Kids in romantic suspense novels are one of my favourite tropes, but as a Mum reading about abductions or missing children can be tough, Kendra handled it beautifully. I was fully invested in the tale and emotionally, she put me through the ringer! I loved the Criminal Minds-esque feel to this one, it was a definite winner for me!

Vanished has a different feel from the other books in the series. I can't quite put my finger on what it is exactly that makes it stand out for me, and believe me I have tried. It can be read as a stand alone but if you enjoy mystery thrillers or romantic suspense then you should definitely give them a try and I recommend reading them all.

ARC received in exchange for honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 17 Jun. 2014
Mason’s life is getting complicated: one of his CI is brutally murdered and the proofs will point to Mason being the murderer; his ex-wife new husband’s daughter is kidnapped and Mason will offer his help to act as spokeman for the family.

Amidst all of this difficult situation, Mason meets Ava, the FBI’s agent working the case and more feeling, of a different kind, appear.

The investigation into what happened to little Henley as well as the impact her disappearance has in the family, took me in a journey of powerful emotions.

I’m highly impressed with the FBI’s procedures in cases of missing children.

As with the previous books, it was a delight to read this one. Kendra Elliot’s writing captures the attention since the beginning. I’ll wait impatiently for the next novel, also featured by Mason and Ava.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 stars, great story, 30 Jun. 2014
CathyR (Ilminster, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vanished (Callahan & McLane Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Mason Callahan, a Detective with the Oregon State police, is working with the FBI’s Special Agent Ava McLane in a chilling case of child abduction. The child in question is the step daughter of Mason’s ex wife. It was very interesting to learn how the FBI react to and treat child abduction. It’s given top priority and their CARD (Child Abduction Rapid Deployment) Team are immediately sent out to assist the local police force with their expertise in this most emotional and terrifying crime.

Running alongside and interwoven is the brutal murder of Josie, Mason’s confidential informant. Those two combined factors make this mystery/thriller lean more towards the psychological and as Mason’s life quickly spirals out of control he realises someone has it in for him…but he doesn’t know who or why.

Mason and Ava are both dedicated and committed to their respective jobs and I like that their personal story doesn’t overshadow and take over the main focus of the story. There’s quite a large cast of characters who are all given enough consideration to make them real and substantial. Mason and Ava have depth and the character development is so good, it’s impossible not to like, and be drawn to, them. Mason intrigued me with his cowboy hat and boots and the emotions he kept in well in check.

'Under that ‘by the book’ cowboy was a gentleman with a big heart'

The suspense and tensions are played out skillfully, an intricate, involved and very conceivable storyline kept me absorbed and entertained throughout. The writing expresses perfectly the drama, sadness and feelings of utter helplessness and the emotional content is powerful. The past and present are interwoven culminating in a tense and moving finale. I couldn’t help but be a little sorry for the culprit and his sad life.

A solid, well researched story. I look forward to Mason Callahan #2

5.0 out of 5 stars This Author Gets Better And Better For Me, 4 Jan. 2015
Lynda Kelly "Lynda" (Shipton Bellinger, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vanished (Callahan & McLane Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This author gets better and better for me. I've missed one in the series-Chilled-which didn't really appeal to me and the short one as I don't bother with short stories and I've really liked them all but more and more and each with fewer mistakes in which always appeals to me !
In this I spotted a couple of repetitive apostrophe mistakes, dropped speechmarks just once and gave used when give was meant and that was it. Wonderful.
It was a very good story indeed and I really liked the characters a great deal although I wonder at a sheriff who still wears a cowboy hat. Always seems like you only see that on TV. It's hard to believe people DO actually dress that way in the US !! Plus throw a dog into the mix and for me you can't go wrong.You don't often feel for the person causing any mayhem/murderation in a book but I did in this case as well.
I have the next one in the series on my wishlist and I'm certainly sticking with these.
Oh, I DID prefer her other covers to this one, though. They always stood out as her books straightaway so it's a shame she's altered her cover art.

1.0 out of 5 stars The writing style certainly is good school girl standard but not what is expected from ..., 4 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Vanished (Callahan & McLane Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Is Kendra Elliot a 14 year old girl?

1.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a good book!, 1 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Vanished (Callahan & McLane Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Another potentially good detective story ruined by unnecessary sex scenes and love interest.The book doesn't need it, and it's a lazy way to try to add content.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like a touch of romance in with your crime this ..., 8 Mar. 2015
When Detective Mason Callahan's ex wife's, step daughter is abducted

we are introduced to a complex family structure incuding step parents, maternal parents and step children. The step mother and maternal mother are at times at loggerheads, but mainly are supportive of each other. This is an exciting story involving the FBI in a detailed investigation into child abduction. Elliott introduces twists and turns to keep us guessing and it soonbecomes clear that this may not be a straightforward child abduction but may have motives that lie in the past and may be based on revenge. If you like a touch of romance in with your crime this is one for you as Elliott skillfully insertsa romantic interest that doesn't over shadow the main crime element. Fans of Karen Rose or Beverley Barton will love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read, 20 July 2014
John Ross (Ripon, North Yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vanished (Callahan & McLane Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Kendra Elliot is a new author to me but the story had me on tenterhooks all the way through. A 12 year old girl goes missing on her way to School. The FBI waste no time in setting up a major incident room, and the search is on to find her before it's too late. The missing girl is the stepdaughter of Mason Callaghan's ex-wife. Mason is a Police Detective with Oregon State Police, who offers to be media spokesman for the girl's family. It soon becomes apparent Mason has problems of his own, he is suspended from the force after his prints are found on a baseball bat used to kill a prostitute . Are these two events somehow connected?

1.0 out of 5 stars Tosh, 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Vanished (Callahan & McLane Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
No suspense, no twists, horribly cliched writing. Mills and Boone really. I will not be reading any more by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars book review, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Vanished (Callahan & McLane Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, the characters involved were interesting and believable. This is the first book I have read by this author and look forward to reading more.

Vanished (Callahan & McLane Book 1)