4.0 out of 5 stars Very tense stuff !
Published 6 months ago by Morganlefay

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish
Rubbish from start to finish. The worst Thorne novel of all time. Can I have my money back please? Never again.
Published 6 months ago by Antony Watkins

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Bones Beneath (Tom Thorne Novels Book 12) (Kindle Edition)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Jun 2014
I love Mark Billingham books or have done up until now. This plodded along with a sad inevitability. It was boring leading to a not very exciting twist and the escape was woefully predictable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the best, 9 Jun 2014
Sorry to say it but this is the most disappointing Thorne book I have read. I'm happy to suspend belief and allow some poetic license but this stretched things too far - the whole premise on which the book is based - on an island with a prisoner dictating terms (and bringing his 'mate' along) just isn't credible and I found it difficult to get beyond this. Roll on the next one I'm sure it will be back to the usual standard......
PS I feel very disloyal writing such a negative review......

4.0 out of 5 stars Very tense stuff !, 3 Jun 2014
Morganlefay (English Home Counties) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is one of those books in which you know something very nasty is going to happen so you read too fast, almost to get it over with ! Tom Thorne is on good form here; it really didn't suit him to be a Woodentop, so it is good that he's gone back to being a detective. I really enjoyed the story, the setting ( beautiful Bardsey), the suspense, and Tom himself who seems to be developing as a character in a very satisfactory way.

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 6 Aug 2014
I'm sad to say that this isn't the best Thorne novel. I have hugely enjoyed all the rest & the sequel to this is likely to be brilliant but even I, with little knowledge of the prison system know that the plot is a little incredulous. There is little substance throughout the book & the only thing holding it together was the hope that there would be an incredible finale, but for me it was a bit of a damp squib. This is not to say that as usual the writing itself was good - that is a given with the Author and I shall look forward to downloading the next one but this clearly is not up to his usual exceptional standard

3.0 out of 5 stars not him again, 25 July 2014
I hope that MB writes another Tom Thorne novel, but please WITHOUT Stuart Nicklin. It is sad and in some places boring to have this old lag taking centre stage ; this is the sort of thing that has marred Rankin's later books: fascination with one horrible character/nemesis.
I have not yet read all the Tom Thorne books (started in the middle , now going backwards and forwards) but there must be other themes to explore. It might be interesting just to have a few "ordinary" crimes and their consequences or... ANYTHING except more like this.
Even saying all the above I read it !

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing read, 30 Jun 2014
I really struggled to enjoy this book. I found myself skim reading on a number of occasions & felt hugely frustrated with many of the characters, including Thorne. Good in parts, but not good enough. Sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 21 Aug 2014
This is by far the best Tom Thorne novel. The tension created by Mark Billingham is palpable and, of course, the story is left open for another episode. Cannot wait for the next yarn.

1.0 out of 5 stars Time for Tom Thorne to be retired, 9 Aug 2014
I have read every single Mark Billingham novel and I would count myself as one of his biggest fans.
However, this is the worst novel of his I have ever read. The premise isn't believable and the whole novel seemed to have been written with the island as the reason for it being produced with the plot as a secondary consideration.
The ending appeared rushed, the whole thing felt like it was being padded out throughout and it was just really below par for a man of his considerable talent and worst of all, it was just boring.
I'm going to put it down to a blip and wait for the next one but please, retire Tom Thorne and come up with something new.

5.0 out of 5 stars As always Mark Billingham tells a good story, and as always I got it completely ..., 12 Sep 2014
As always Mark Billingham tells a good story, and as always I got it completely wrong, and as always the guilty party is the one you least suspect. Highly recommended.