5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read
Rose is a dragon who can shape shift into human form. She comes from a planet where her kind is threatened with extinction. To increase the chances for her young to survive, she must gather energy from a human. Dave Fraser is that very willing human, and he tells us all about their adventures.

The first sentence grabs the reader, and from there we learn...
Published 11 months ago by gloria piper

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
First bits amusing but couldn't be bothered to finish it. Not really my type of story.
Published 1 month ago by T. J. Jarratt

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 10 Mar. 2014
gloria piper (ORLAND, CA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life With A Fire-Breathing Girlfriend (Kindle Edition)

The first sentence grabs the reader, and from there we learn about Dave and Rose and to care for them. However the story didn’t pull this reader into its depths until chapter 7 where someone is murdered. There the tension mounts, and the story carries us along into greater adventures, each more engaging than the previous. The story comprises episodes that could be made into a TV series.

Much of the humor is sophisticated. It may refer to Dungeons and Dragons, or jujitsu, or something else. From my own experiences, I understand the martial arts references, and I had to smile over ‘the dragon with the girl tattoo.’ However, understanding all the humorous references isn’t necessary. This is fun reading on more than one level. And there is even wisdom added.

Fields is a bit late at times in identifying characters and settings. And characters abound, so sometimes one has to pause to remember a name. Nevertheless the writing is clever and strong, with masterful description that doesn’t rely on clichés. The story is vividly imaginative and delightfully refreshing, followed by a satisfying ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining read, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Life With A Fire-Breathing Girlfriend (Kindle Edition)
I read a lot of fantasy. Life With a Fire Breathing Girlfriend was relatively unique; though elves, dragons, unicorns and magic all existed, the story took place on Earth.

Rose Drake is a dragon who needs human faith in the magic and wonder of dragons to help ensure her eggs have the highest chance of survival. David Fraser is the object of her affections - a geeky guy who believes implicitly in magic.

Most of the story was their day to day adventures, and that's the bit of the story I enjoyed the most. Rose interacting with the gamers was pretty funny; the skirmishes with the HOA were real-life and petty and hilarious.

Of the three mini-novels - I enjoyed the third one the least - the quest felt trivial, the unicorn Smith (a Matrix reference, I assume?) was a bit bland and the end-result just seemed convenient. Still, a solidly enjoyable read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 22 Jan. 2015