on 5 January 2014
Stunning book that grips you from start to finish. The story of Russell and Tanner is both exciting and emotional and will make you want to forsake everything else til you have finished it (although this is part 1 of a trilogy...bring on The Snow) The writing is majestic and flows off the page. The Rain and Black Hull are both fantastic books and hopefully 2014 will be a breakout year for Joseph Turkot
on 11 January 2014
this is a great read a real page turner I found it very difficult to put down and the great thing is the story continues in the sequel "THE SNOW " cannot wait brilliant
on 23 February 2014
very disappointed that the author split this book they way he did
it was not long enough to make this a 5 part series it makes
one feel a bit conned especially when you reach the end of this 5 parter to see there is no real conclusion
just a new seriies under the name of Snow.
on 25 May 2015
As a fanatic of apocalyptic fiction. I was introduced to the adventures of Russell and Tanner (The main characters) through the tempting offer of reading the first couple of chapters for free, which is funny as throughout the adventures of the characters in the first of the trilogy, THE RAIN, you learn that nothing is for free without the favor having to be returned or having to face consequences. The veneer is often spoke about throughout and eventually becomes something that as the reader you will learn to compare to your own life's ups and downs. Fans of Naughty Dog's PS Game 'THE LAST OF US' will relate to this story. The Relationship of Russell and Tanner somewhat reminds me of the relationship between Joel and Elly from the game. However, THE RAIN takes a different approach to demonstrating their relationship. Joseph Turkot cleverly breaks through taboos and shows the sexual awakening of Tanner. We learn of her thoughts about Russell being more than a father figure and doesn't sugarcoat that in a Post Apocalyptic world shes is not just surviving but fighting against the threat that she could be seen as food, currency and as an object of sexual entertainment to the many consumed by greed and lust.

The first few chapters really sets the mood for the rest of the book. We learn through the visually descriptive words of the misery that anyone still alive in this world has to endure. Its dark, wet and miserable. Everyday seems to show no escape from the Rain that is hampering their desire to feel the warmth and to experience a dry nights sleep. As you read through the book you can feel the characters desperation and can compare many of the elements to other stories such as The Walking Dead, I am Legend, The Book Of Eli and you learn about how it wasn't always so miserable, and how determination and the occasional optimism helped the characters progress . There are scenes in the book that can play out in your mind like you are watching a movie. With many visually descriptive moments I saw the words play out in my mind like I was there. The book demonstrates how trusting someone can leave you with a crisis of conscience and learn how far people are prepared to go to survive.

A good thing about this story is that (unlike many other post apocalyptic stories) you dont feel that questioning the science really has an impact on the story. They briefly discuss their opinion on what causes the rain to start but as a reader, knowing inst your priority.

I very rarely give 5 stars to books but so far this part of the trilogy is ticking all the right boxes. Action, Adventure, Highs and Lows, sexual chemistry and Betrayal.

Looking forward to reading THE SNOW now.
on 11 May 2014
I don't write reviews with spoilers.
Joe Turkot's first part of Rain is relentlessly soggy, drippy, cold and miserable. I was wondering just how the main characters were going to get to the end of all five books without dissolving, but I couldn't stop reading it.
I suspect that the author can see the action in his mind, like a movie. It runs at that pace, the reader can feel and see the cold and damp.
It's a first person novel, rather like The Hunger Games narratives and is all the better for that. I'm glad I bought this.
on 19 August 2014
I'm quite a fan of dystopian novels, having enjoyed sagas like Silo and Sand; but the constant introspection of the heroine coupled with the constant, well, rain, just genuinely left me in a worse frame of mind.
I'd picked the series up based on the good reviews, and I made it through to the end, but on reflection, I really wish I hadn't. Overall, the plot line isn't bad, but it is slow in places, and the leap from one set of miserable circumstances to another just sapped my will to live.
on 12 January 2014
Bought the full version of this after downloading part one for free as I had to know what happened next, and having read this over the weekend have now downloaded the sequel The Snow as again I have to know what's coming next. Not my usual type of book but thought I would give it a go as it was free but I was gripped from the beginning, believable characters in a horrible situation. Give it a go, well worth a read.
on 25 February 2014
I'm a great fan of post apocalyptic stuff but when I bought this I wondered if it was going to hold my interest. I decided to give it a fair trial and soon found myself engrossed. It's well worth a read and I've bought the two sequels as well which are just as compelling. Great stuff!
on 12 July 2014
I downloaded "The Rain" yesterday morning and finished it today over my breakfast coffee.

That the main characters were ordinary people appealed to me. They were not scientists who just happened to be working on a project that gave them special insight into the crisis. They were not military personnel. They were simply survivors. This gave rise to myths and stories and allowed the author to explore how these impacted on both hope and despair.

I must admit that I do wonder what really happened to get the world to such a state but this is just my sense of curiosity and is not necessary either for my enjoyment of the novel or for the characters who drive it forward.

A very enjoyable book
on 27 March 2014
This novel deserves to be widely read. This writer creates interesting characters which keep you rooting for them in a new and different apocalyptic scenario. You'll appreciate blue sky like never before...