4.0 out of 5 stars Very much enjoyed.
Thank you to the author and publisher for the beautiful advanced reading copy.

Published 11 months ago by Liz Wilkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Disjointed and lacking in excitement.
Published 12 months ago by Petal

4.0 out of 5 stars Very much enjoyed., 3 April 2014
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: After I'm Gone (Hardcover)
Thank you to the author and publisher for the beautiful advanced reading copy.

When Felix Brewer meets nineteen-year-old Bernadette ‘Bambi’ Gottschalk at a Valentine’s Dance in 1959, he charms her with wild promises, some of which he actually keeps. Thanks to his lucrative if not always legal businesses, she and their three little girls live in luxury. But on the Fourth of July, 1976, Bambi’s world implodes when Felix, newly convicted and facing prison, mysteriously vanishes.

I’ve been a bit of a fan of Laura Lippman’s novels for a while – they are quietly atmospheric and always beautifully constructed with wonderful storytelling and characters and this was no exception.

When Felix skips bail to avoid a prison sentence, he leaves behind his wife, three daughters and a mistress – when ten years later his mistress also disappears it is assumed that she has gone to be with Felix but then her body is discovered..

Told in present time as a cold case specialist tries to solve the murder, and in flashback showing how Bambi and her daughters have coped, this is compelling stuff. There is a mystery at the heart of it but this is purely about the people – Felix leaves a lot of emotion and anger in his wake, this novel explores the themes of loss, guilt, rejection and love in an evocative and heartfelt manner.

From the seemingly pragmatic Bambi who hides a maelstrom of emotion beneath her tough exterior, down to youngest child Michelle, selfish and demanding, the Brewer girls are formidable indeed and yet vulnerable in many ways. As the story twists and turns – just where did Felix go and more importantly where did his money go – you will be utterly immersed into the multi-stranded family drama. Mistress Julia is also beautifully drawn and fascinating, the mystery surrounding her disappearance and murder only deepens as time goes on. It is a page turner, addictive and real, and bang in the middle of it is a man you know very little about. Felix Brewster.

Appealing and captivating this is perhaps my favourite of Ms Lippmans novels so far.

Happy Reading Folks!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disjointed and lacking in excitement., 27 Mar. 2014
This review is from: After I'm Gone (Kindle Edition)
Crooked businessman Felix disappears without trace in 1976 rather than face a prison sentence, leaving behind his wife, daughters and a mistress. 10 years later, his mistress, Julie, also disappears and it's not until many years later that her body is discovered in woods and the rumours surrounding her and Felix resurface. Jump forward again to 2012 and Sandy Sanchez, a retired policeman now working cold cases begins to investigate Felix's disappearance and Julie's unsolved murder.

Sounds like a great plot for an intriguing mystery doesn't it? Sadly, the execution is disappointing and falls flat on many levels. Usually a lover of books that traverse different time periods, the many leaps backwards and forwards here felt disjointed, especially as I could summon up no rapport with the raft of characters involved in the plot. There appeared to be an awful lot of superfluous writing, and, frankly, I became bored having to sift through it to reach the rather uninspiring and tensionless conclusion.

*I received a free copy of this book to review through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Murder Mystery Story, 3 April 2014
atticusfinch1048 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: After I'm Gone (Hardcover)
After I’M Gone – top mystery

After I’m Gone by Laura Lippman is a beautifully well written murder mystery an old style whodunit that keeps you turning the pages to find out who the culprit is. This is a classic murder mystery story that is brought up to date by a modern day Agatha Christie where the disappearance of Felix Brewster echoes throughout the book while giving no hint as to where he is or if he is alive.

Felix Brewster is charmer of the old school easily referred to as a lady’s man who married the love of his life in 1959 Bambi Gottschalk. A wife that bears him three daughters and who has it all, a woman he loves with all his heart and would never leave, while at the same time having a mistress a former stripper called Julie. 4th July 1976 while awaiting sentence in federal court, Julie helps Felix to disappear never to be seen or heard of again. Bambi is left with three daughters a big house and no money but there is one person who might know and that is Julie. In 1986 to the day of Felix’s disappearance Julie disappears in to the ether and everyone assumes she has gone to join Felix that is until her body turns up decomposed in a secluded wood.

Sandy Sanchez is a retired homicide detective who works cold cases for the Baltimore Police when he picks up this case and decides to run with it. What he discovers is a tangled web of secrets and lies from the past that dictate the past with the present and he recognises the truth will be explosive. This is an old fashioned mix of jealousy, bitterness, resentment and greed that connects all the women in the book. It falls to Sanchez to unpick this to discover the truth and that would not be easy.

Laura Lippman has written a book that delivers on all levels so that you get the suspense recognise the failings of all the characters to whom it is easy to identify and deliver the final punch with a smile. It is easy to see why Lippman tops the bestseller lists in America and with this book she should do the same here her books are readable enjoyable crime fiction.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very exciting really., 5 May 2014
Mrs. S. Payne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After I'm Gone (Kindle Edition)
I didn’t really know what to expect with this book, only that I had seen it come up in my regular ‘booky’ emails and social media flow, so I thought I’d have to check it out.

At its core, this book is an old-style murder mystery with the usual set of highly suspicious characters. Felix Brewster disappeared without a trace in 1976 and 10 years later, his mistress, Julie, also disappears. A few years after that, Julie’s body is found and we then meet Sandy a retired homicide detective who comes in to work the cold case.

The whole storyline sounds quite intriguing but I felt that it all fell a bit flat. I am a big fan of books that span many centuries and generations and I love a good murder mystery, so I was fully prepared to love this book but it seemed unnecessarily long and drawn-out. I found myself reading bits but not fully taking it in, I couldn’t get completely absorbed. The characters are fairly typical and not all that interesting and when the ultimate conclusion was revealed, I found myself not really caring.

I wanted to love this book but just couldn’t.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another book to relish, 17 Jan. 2015
This review is from: After I'm Gone (Kindle Edition)
Another great read from Laura Lippman. Yet to find a book by this author that I didn't relish. I changed my mind about the character of the characters more than once while reading this book and didn't guess the ending.

1.0 out of 5 stars The description of the story sounded so good but the book was really disappointing, 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: After I'm Gone (Kindle Edition)
The description of the story sounded so good but the book was really disappointing. The story didn't go anywhere, I did not like any of the characters which made it hard to read. Wouldn't recommend at all

2.0 out of 5 stars Lacks plot, had to skim it, 20 Oct. 2014
This review is from: After I'm Gone (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the modern part of the story, but the flashbacks are dull. They are full of turgid dialogue, as though written by a 13 year old. Still, better than anything I could have written.

1.0 out of 5 stars After im gone, 18 Mar. 2015
A. Bohdjalian (London,U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After I'm Gone (Kindle Edition)
From the very beginning the story goes all over the place and as it lacks any excitement it gets very boring. I gave up after I read few pages.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 26 Mar. 2015
N. F. Price (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: After I'm Gone (Kindle Edition)
After reading the good reviews I was disappointed with my first read by this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 25 Mar. 2015
This review is from: After I'm Gone (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic read I couldn't put the book down

After I'm Gone