Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 4 September 2013
Melrose Quartet are Nancy Kerr & James Fagan plus Jess & Richard Arrowsmith - 4 folk singers and musicians at the top of their game. Lovely choice of songs and instrumentals all sung and played beautifully. Songs are written or arranged by Melrose themselves and the ones they write themselves are often celebrations for relatives and friends' weddings or birthdays which gives a lovely intimate feel to the album. Try to see them live if you can - they sound exactly the same as this studio album. They're the real thing. Fabulous!
on 28 January 2014
I hadn't heard of this album until it kept turning up on my list of things to try since I'd bought X, Y and Z. I was getting tired of seeing it there to be honest, but I decided to give it a listen before I sent it to the outer darkness. Well! I listened to the brief samples, and that was that - I ordered it straight away.

It's hard to describe really - very traditional but also very much of today. Timeless, I suppose. The musicians are excellent and their enthusiasm is very infectious. Some tracks were familiar while others were new to me, but all were well worth the listening.

Definitely a new favourite - one I'm very pleased to have been persuaded to try.
on 3 February 2014
have not stopped playing this since I bought it! I saw them live a little while ago and they were stunning - and the album reflects all of that; wonderful close harmonies, beautiful songs (some great new tunes) and I really love their combination of voice and instruments, some very subtle arrangements. Lovely!
on 26 January 2014
Wonderful singling and playing - as well as a number of great new songs. My favourite was probably "Santa Georgia" with a catchy and traditional sounding tune and brilliant lyrics.
The whole album repays multiple plays with lots of little details that gradually reveal themselves - often in the delicious harmonies.
on 14 April 2014
Great vocals and instrument playing from the Sheffield based foursome. Love the self-penned numbers as well as the traditional stuff. Bought this on buying tickets to see the band at the Sage, Gateshead on 9th April which was a very pleasant and rewarding concert. I smiled a lot. Fiddle, bouzouki and melodeon playing - top notch! Great songs both live and here on record. Only wish I'd bought their earlier live recording at the gig as not available here on Amazon or on the band's website unfortunately. Looking forward to Nancy Kerr's solo work due later in 2014..
on 16 January 2015
I had the pleasure of seeing the Melrose Quartet in December and was pleased to hear that they are able to reproduce the quality of their live performances in the studio. For me the strong points of this album are three of their self penned numbers - Santa Georgia, Fifty Verses and Wedding Bells although all of the tracks have an instant appeal. Some of the songs are performed a capella while the rest are accompanied by acoustic guitar, fiddle and accordion.
on 17 June 2014
Four well established stars with an excitement that stems from brilliant harmony singing and fresh bright instrumentals. They show a great affinity for the music, and clearly enjoy performing together. Only very rare talents can draw both the largest and smallest audiences into an intimacy like this. The album combines both accompanied and a Capella songs … using both new and traditional songs perfectly...
on 18 September 2015
Four very talented people produce a wide variety of folk music. Good strong voices and instrumental playing. I found this several years after its release and only wish I had done so sooner. This has encouraged me to investigate the other offerings from each of the performers.
on 16 March 2015
Just an all-round wonderful folk album. I'm not one for putting on folk that much at home (love it live) but this is a joy to listen to every time. My 5 year old loves it too - she's learning the words to 'Santa Georgia'!
on 11 September 2014
fantastic harmonies that I have not tired of hearing. you will be hard pushed to find a better collection of singers on one disc