4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Ask Me
Published 10 months ago by Sam Tyler

3.0 out of 5 stars He has a twistet brain :-D
I love Danny Wallace... "Yes man" is the funniest book I've ever read.. and "Charlotte Street" was also one of a kind. "Who is Tom Ditto" has some really cool and cleaver thinking behind it, I just think I was expecting something else... more fun... Ending is a bit strange for me as well, but I'll buy his next book too - He has a way with words...
Published 1 month ago by Mette Bloch

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Ask Me, 24 July 2014
This review is from: Who is Tom Ditto? (Hardcover)
Danny Wallace is the foremost exponent of `Bet Non-Fiction' that I know. This is when a bloke says something daft in the pub and follows through; Wallace has started his own cult, his own nation and said Yes to absolutely everything. However, some things are fine as a quirky adventure in the real world, but following people around London and copying their every move? That sounds a little like stalking to me and should perhaps be best explored in the world of fiction. In a world like Danny Wallace's new novel `Who Is Tom Ditto?'

Is it the Tom who works as a news reader for a London based talk radio show? One day he returns home to find a note from his girlfriend saying that she has gone, but not left him. What on Earth does that mean? Tom decides to investigate where Hayley has disappeared too and soon finds a secret club whose members wish to be someone else. Can Tom enlist the help of the eccentric Pia to search for his girlfriend and will he find out more about himself in the meantime?

The great things about all of Wallace's books, both fiction and non-fiction, is the heart. Wallace has a wonderfully warm way of writing that is witty and intelligent, always making you feel uplifted by the end. `Tom Ditto' is his darkest project to date and builds upon the fine work seen in his first work of fiction `Charlotte Street'. That book was about someone finding a disposable camera and using the images to find the women who dropped it; `Tom Ditto' takes this concept of mild stalking and builds upon it.

At its heart `Tom Ditto' is a mystery novel. There may be no murders, but there is certainly a missing person. What has happened to Hayley? The book takes a while to warm up and actually start telling us, we have to get through Tom's anger and denial before he reaches some acceptance and start to do something about it. At this point the book opens up. The idea of following strangers is a dark one, but Wallace uses it to show wonder. Where is that dapper gentleman going? Are that couple married or having an affair? The middle third of the book is a joyous adventure as Tom and Pia set out on adventures of discovery, not unlike those seen in Wallace's non-fiction outings.

It may be that the premise for `Tom Ditto' is a non-fiction concept that Wallace rejected. How can he possibly follow people unwittingly and write about it? By moving the idea into a work of fiction he can explore the idea and create characters too. It is in this area that Wallace has developed more than any other. Tom is a rounded character whose fight with depression adds yet another layer to the book. All of a sudden this is not a book about a jolly series of adventures, but damaged people finding one another after apparently lacking something in their own life.

There is a darkness that permeates the book at times, but that is offset nicely by Wallace's deft use of humour. The Talk Radio elements of the novel are very amusing and the inane work emails cut a little close to the bone at times. There is also one excellent side thread that secretly hides that. Wallace uses real intelligence to weave elements of the story together.

`Who is Tom Ditto' is Danny Wallace's most accomplished book to date, but perhaps not his best. Its slow start and darkness means that it lacks the sheer joy I loved from `Charlotte Street' and `Yes Man'. What it does show is a real progression in style that suggest he is not far from hitting the right balance between heart and character development. Check out `Tom Ditto' and the body of Wallace's work, this is an author who is one to watch in the coming years. Review originally on bookbag.co.uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure entertainment with one huge dash of wit and a pinch of mystery, 24 Feb. 2015
S. Shamma "Suad" (Abu Dhabi, UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who is Tom Ditto? (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, more so than I had expected going into it. The premise of the novel is interesting, but not very interesting. A guy returns home to find a note from his girlfriend telling him that she left, but she didn't leave him. That's it. There's no information on where she went, or with who, or when she's planning on coming back.

Tom, a radio host, decides to investigate the disappearance of his girlfriend, Hayley. He takes offense on her sudden departure, and finds it unlikely that she didn't actually "leave" him. In his journey of finding out where she left and who she's been in contact with before she left, he finds himself in the midst of a strange support group - of sorts. They "follow" people they find interesting and imitate them for the duration that they are following them (and that duration could vary), so if that person is having a tuna melt at a cafe, they'll order the same thing, they'll pay the same exact amount, and even tell the same stories (if they are close enough to hear them speak). It sounds bizarre and very creepy, yes. Tom, thinks so too. He is astounded to find out that Hayley was part of that group, and leaves in a rush, only to be followed by Pia.

In the next weeks, Tom and Pia form a very strange friendship based on her following him, and even gets him to join in on her adventures of following people. These adventures lead Tom to meeting an abundance of new and interesting people, experiencing new things, and even improves his career immensely. He almost forgets about his problems with Hayley...almost. And just when he was starting to find his footing again, Hayley barges back into his life.

He thought he had Hayley all figured out once he found out about her habit of following people to the point of impersonating them completely, but upon her return, he soon finds out even more than he ever bargained for.

I found the humor of Danny Wallace very entertaining and clever. I loved the characters, and I loved the relationship between Tom and Pia. The conclusion was absolute perfection in my opinion, and I'm glad Wallace tied all the loose ends the way he did. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Great entertainment. Highly recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Who is Tom Ditto?, 28 May 2014
K. L. Beeden (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Who is Tom Ditto? (Kindle Edition)
It's fair to say I was intrigued enough by the haphazard nature of the blurb to want to read Who is Tom Ditto? It sounded like a fun, quirky read and I'm always on the look out for something a little bit different to the norm.

The whole 'following' thing was slightly freaky-I have actually found myself looking over my shoulder as I walk around Morrison's, for fear that someone is going to buy the same teabags and own brand Custard Creams as me- but made for an interesting and unusual plot. The whole premise of CC was uncomfortable and yet strangely alluring. I guess we all have that nosiness deep within us where we model ourselves on ours choices and actions.

Who is Tom Ditto? reads very much like Danny Wallace's other books-fluid in style, conversational text, observational humour and quick quips. It is a very accessible book, and I can imagine it appealing to those who don't read a lot as well as avid readers. The characters, especially Pia, had me longing to know more, infact I think Pia deserves another book all of her own-she is fantastically barmy. I think I actually want to be her.

I really love the whole 'Britishness' of this book, I can't see that it would work if it were set anywhere else. There are eccentricities which add depth to the story, along with a serious issue of relationship break ups (or not), yet overwhelmingly this is a story of humour in the midst of despair.

This is a fresh, well written novel with hidden depths. Ideal for fans of Mike Gayle and William Boyd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and very smart, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Who is Tom Ditto? (Kindle Edition)
I love Danny Wallace. I might even go so far as to say he’s one of my favourite writers of all time. Charlotte Street was in my top five books from last year. I was so very happy that his newest, Who is Tom Ditto? didn’t disappoint.

Like a few other reviewers, I too was a bit confused at the start of the book. You’re thrown right into the middle of Tom’s own confusion; his girlfriend Hayley is gone but she hasn’t left him. How can that be? Where did she go?

Who is Tom Ditto? follows Tom as he tries to piece together the reason behind his girlfriend’s disappearance. Along the way he meets a group of very special individuals, including an impish girl called Pia who might just change his life. As Tom grows closer to Pia and to the truth behind Hayley’s departure, the hilarity just grows greater.

For me, the thing that appealed the most in this book was just how very normal Tom (and his life) was. I absolutely loved the bits with Tom at work at the radio station — particularly his feud with co-worker Leslie (the Jam Nazi), and the passive aggressive emails sent around by HR. Honestly, it’s not far off from my own office life!

Who is Tom Ditto? is a heartfelt novel that just about everyone can relate to in its ordinariness and the magic to be found in the everyday. This book had me snickering smugly on the bus, knowing full well that no one else was reading anything as intelligently funny as I was. Now this little gem is out there for the masses to pick up and, I’ve no doubt, they will.

Thank you to the publishers for supplying an advance copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my perception of Danny Wallace’s work – it turns out that his fiction is even better than his non-fiction, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Who is Tom Ditto? (Hardcover)
Disclaimer: While I aim to be unbiased, I received a copy of this for free to review.

This book has changed my perception of Danny Wallace’s work – it turns out that his fiction is even better than his non-fiction, and I thought his non-fiction was impressive enough. Here, though, he writes like a man who has mastered words, and the subtle nuances of the story-line are well-executed – you know, like when something is mentioned in passing and then a couple of hundred pages later turns out to be a massive part of the plot.

Loosely speaking, this is the story of a lowly radio presenter called Tom Adoyo whose girlfriend disappears, leaving him a note to say that while she hasn’t left him, she has left. Tom begins to investigate the unusual circumstances around her disappearance, and soon gets drawn into the unusual world of the CC group, a club whose members like to follow other people around to imitate their behaviour.

Through this admittedly unusual activity, he meets a girl called Pia, and they go on all sorts of incredible adventures when they’re ‘on the follow’. But I don’t want to tell you too much more about the story-line because I don’t want to spoil it for when you read it, and I strongly recommend that you do so.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different. Funny. Profound., 23 May 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Who is Tom Ditto? (Hardcover)
I read this because I enjoyed Charlotte Street and Yes Man so much. Not that you can compare but this is more like Yes Man.

It's different. Radio news guy Tom discovers a note in his flat one day, out of the blue. His girlfriend has gone. But she hasn't left him. So where is she and why? Angry, confused, Tom sets out to find the truth. Her friends are hiding something. And it turns out, so was his girlfriend.

The turns the plot takes are unexpected but I found them refreshing and thoroughly enjoyable. I really liked the insights into the radio station. HR emails are frequent and brilliant. Leslie, the politically-incorrect station stalwart and old-timer is a creation of comic genius. These scenes are chucklesome, with some great lines.

I loved Tom's discoveries and what happens to him after (very reminiscent of Yes Man). This would make a great film, lots of standout scenes and great characters.

Danny Wallace is a refreshing writer, with easy reads that make you laugh that also contain messages and darker points.

Great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightfully bonkers, 23 Sept. 2014
Synopsis

When Tom wakes up to a note from his girlfriend Hayley saying that she has left but not left him, Tom’s life is thrown into turmoil. With only a small suitcase of her belongings gone, Tom is left in limbo. He tries to carry on as normal but when he hears a strange message on his answer phone from the mysterious Andy mentioning “the place” Tom becomes determined to solve the mystery of Hayley’s departure.

What ensues is a series of wacky misadventures, growing friendships and dare I say it – personal growth.

Review

I have been toying with the idea of reading a book by Danny Wallace for a while. I have purchased a few and they sit on my shelf, tentatively and patiently waiting to be picked up and read. However, it was due to my desire to get my NetGalley percentage up that made me read Who Is Tom Ditto? Sorry Danny.

I’m awfully glad that I did read Who Is Tom Ditto? It is sharp, witty and a little bit bonkers. It is honestly like no book I have ever read before. The storyline came way out of left field. It has also made me a little curious as to whether there actually is a pocket of people who actually do follow people about. I will try to be a lot more aware of folks around me from now on.

Tom, bless him, was just a victim of circumstance. A too trusting guy who was dealt a massive bow by his girlfriend and it was endearing to watch him try to hold his life together and figure out what was going on in his life. The cast of characters around him all added to the story in colourful and interesting ways.

Strangely, even though the book tied everything up neatly at the end – which those of you who read my reviews know is often times my biggest bugbear – I really liked that there were no loose ends in Who Is Tom Ditto? Heroes became heroic and villains got there comeuppance.

One of the highest accolades I can give this book is that I read it in one sitting. I didn’t want to put it down. Danny Wallace has a new fan in Lisa Bentley. I will most definitely be pushing his other fictional work – Charlotte Street – higher up my personal TBR pile.

Who Is Tom Ditto? by Danny Wallace is available now.

Who is tom ditto

You can follow Danny Wallace on Twitter @dannywallace

4.0 out of 5 stars Who is Tom Ditto?, 30 May 2014
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Who is Tom Ditto? (Hardcover)
I picked this up by chance, and thought it might be something in the lines of a Tom Holt novel. It was in some ways, but not in others. It was not as wacky and way out as a good Tom Holt, but that’s not to say it’s not a good book.

The premise is of a young man, Tom whose girlfriend Hayley has gone – but she hasn’t left him. When he gets a note from her to that effect, he doesn’t know what to do next – should he look for her, do her friends know where she is, and what does it say about him that this could happen to him? The first part of the novel is Tom in all his angst, trying to find answers to questions he didn’t know he had until Hayley left her note. But then the novel takes a new turn, where Tom begins to find out more not only about Hayley but about himself.

This is a witty and amusing book, which while it takes a hard look at a young man struggling with a setback in life, also takes a hard and sideways glance at some of the slightly silly things we take for granted in this world of ours – celebrity, instant media gratification and the way our lives are lived.

I enjoyed this book; while it is generally light and amusing, I closed the last page thinking, ‘yes there is a profound message in there’ – but it’s not delivered with a sledgehammer, it just left me thinking that after I had enjoyed a good read, there was a message about how, when we figure out how to find ourselves, we find a whole lot of other things as well – you’ll know what I mean when you read the book. Suffice to say that Binky the Marmoset finds a new lease on life and Tom finds a new way to live his.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the fact it approaches some harder issues- never taking ..., 15 July 2014
Mr. Simon Paddon "Simon" (Barnstaple, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Who is Tom Ditto? (Kindle Edition)
This is Danny's second fiction book and is very good- a lot deeper than Charlotte Street. I like the fact it approaches some harder issues- never taking them full on, but never ignoring them either. The characters are good, even if the premise of CC is a bit 'out there'. In fact, I was well on the way to give it 5 stars- except- the ending. It was a lot weaker than I thought, than I hoped.

Despite this, I still whole heartedly recommend this. And no, Danny is not paying to write this. (He can if he wants though!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's... a real page turner!, 3 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Who is Tom Ditto? (Kindle Edition)
It's not often I'll describe a book as a real page turner, as I often struggle with fiction. Liking Danny Wallace and his writing style, I gave this a go. And... it's a real page turner. Clever, well written, nicely paced and really interesting. It makes some nice observations on contemporary culture and our lifestyles, whilst remaining entertaining and "non preachy". The ending is beautifully written and really quite compelling. Fantastic stuff and a hearty recommendation from me.

Who is Tom Ditto?