on 23 January 2014
I thought this book was absolutely amazing! I just love reading stories from this era and I have to say I would rate Peter Tonkin in the same category as Paul Doherty his writing style is fluid and exciting, I was so involved with the story that I could almost imagine myself in the midst of the action. I am currently reading The Point of Death (the previous book written in the series) and I am just as excited about it as I am about this one. All I can say is please hurry with the third instalment!
on 22 March 2014
This is a murder mystery (or rather a series of murders) set in the time of Elizabeth 1, which makes it interesting. The main protagonist (or sleuth) is a sort of cross between Sherlock Holmes and James Bond. The historical research into the life and times of the people during this period seems pretty impressive to me, and everything rang 'true'. The language used both for the narrative and dialogue was, I thought, a very good modern-day interpretation of how people would have spoken at the time, which sounded 'right', although I assume it was deliberately watered down, or else it would have been unintelligible to most of us.

What was difficult about it was keeping up with the twists and turns of the plot. With so many characters involved, I kept losing track of who was who, whether they were goodies or baddies, if they'd once been good and were now bad, and vice versa. If I read it all over again it would probably become clearer! This is the reason for the 4 stars only. But I'm sure it would appeal to most whodunnit readers, many of whom no doubt would understand it all right from the start.
on 23 March 2014
Peter Tonkin's books take a bit of getting into as they are written in an idiosyncratic style with a strong nod to 16th century literature. However, they take you into the period successfully and the sights, smells and squalor of London come to life vividly. It is worth persevering to experience a rollicking tale of assassins, spies, bawds and sleuths.
on 21 August 2015
Good Beach reading. Interesting that PF Chisholm seems to have taken these books as the basis for her Robert Carey Novels. I greatly enjoyed those and the stories are not in anyway linked. But some of the character are the same and described in similar ways. Many of the character are fabrications of real historical characters. However the fabrication aspects seem to have run along similar lines. Chisholm has more humour and has done original research. They are both entertaining reads.
on 19 June 2014
Rarely am I hooked by sequel books and characters but Peter Tonkin achieves it brilliantly with Master Musgrave et al. Brilliant story, plot, intricate descriptions truly bring the period alive. Roll on the next book.
on 12 July 2014
From the pen of Pater Tonkin. Tom Musgrave is once again involved in the defence of Queen Elizabeth I and brings his logical mind to bear on the problems of thwarting those with murderous intent.
on 26 February 2014
Good story revolving around old London bridge, very descriptive of an amazing structure spanning the Thames. The book is a detailed account of 16th century London.
on 3 March 2014
Really good read and will be getting more by same author. Every time I pick up book I intend to read just one chapter, but always end up reading two.
on 11 December 2015
Full of historical detail. Well written with fully rounded characters. I fully recommend looking out and reading other books by this author.
on 17 March 2015
Great action, good characterisation and story telling. Better than most of this genre I have read recently.