4.0 out of 5 stars A very short book, amusing and a little strange
Published 6 months ago by H. M. Sykes

3.0 out of 5 stars is that it?
I was just getting into it and it was over!
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Published 1 month ago by jharben

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A very short book, amusing and a little strange, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Kindle Edition)
I had always wondered what it was all about. People use the term Walter Mitty when they want to describe someone who thinks he is someone different to the reality of what and who he is. Yes, now I understand but the personality change is not Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde it is more in the daydreaming that is something that most of us do in some way. In this it is quite clever as it draws attention to our own faults and reveals a side of human nature that we may not have noticed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tribute to the trapped imagination, 20 April 2014
This review is from: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Kindle Edition)
I adore this classic short story. It packs more into a few pages that many longer books. It speaks to men now emasculated by their role in life, but who secretly dream of being the hero.
Brilliant!

3.0 out of 5 stars is that it?, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Kindle Edition)
I was just getting into it and it was over!
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten

1.0 out of 5 stars Walter Mitty, 20 May 2014
This review is from: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Kindle Edition)
Heard about this character and thought it was a classic. I quickly realised that it was not for me. Never mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars A victim of its influence, 14 May 2014
This review is from: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Kindle Edition)
Walter Mitty is a name nearly everyone has heard of and knows about even though they may not have read the original story because it has been referenced so many times in popular culture. Which I think lessens its impact. This short, very short, story is OK, it's entertaining I suppose but it's not got a lot beyond its main concept - which is something that has been done to death by its own imitators and re-inventors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Abridged free, 24 April 2014
Barbēlō (Gnosticsm) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Kindle Edition)
Got this free with Audible, narrated by Ben Stiller.

Extremly short book, only 15 minuites in length, but it's still wonderful that I was given this free without even having to sign up. I didn't realise that you could get offered deals like this from amazon/audible, it's really wonderful that they do sometimes have deals like this.

iv previously read this story while ago and heard Ben stiller read some other titles, and even my daughter is quite enjoying this as Ben is reading this extremly clear as I thought he would. Will definitely be listening to this again, it's actually quite relaxing becaz hes such a good Narrater. Good going Ben.

"Audible hopes you've enjoyed this programme?" I know both myself and my daughter did.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me I'm afraid, 23 April 2014
Not at all impressed. Heard about the film coming out so thought I'd give the book a try. Wish I hadn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but a good read, 17 April 2014
Dave (Tywyn, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Kindle Edition)
This is a very short book - and I bought it after watching the film. If you're expecting it to be anything like the film at all you'll be disappointed! The only similarities is the day dreaming part - but it's funny nonetheless and a good read for a train journey!

2.0 out of 5 stars WALTER MITTY, 11 April 2014
Grant (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Kindle Edition)
James Thurber's seminal story is about day-dreaming. It isn't funny any more. Billy Liar,for example, superseded it. Ben Stiller's film is almost nothing like the original.

4.0 out of 5 stars Deceptive contents but worth a look, 18 Mar 2014
there is something deceptive about this book: it's title. Only 5 of the 112 pages is actually the story of Walter Mitty. This is a book of short stories and therefore a little difficult to describe. But I will try.

James Thurber looks at some really interesting parts of human existence: our strange phrases, the odd thoughts that might pass through our minds, the stuff we tell each other about our days, and our darkest thoughts at the worse times in life. To call this dark comedy is perhaps too simple a category, but it is comedic in parts and I would recommend it, particularly to those who might take inspiration and make millions like those in Hollywood already have.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›