5.0 out of 5 stars The tip-top-tastic, 'Tarp' hat.
I had recently be `coerced' into helping out with a local scout group and noticed how my fellow conscripts favoured the classic `tilly' style of hat. I could see the merits of this style of hat, especially on more outward-bound scouting pursuits; however the material that they were made from, seemed dubious to me.
Leather hats went white with sweat (that they induced...
Published on 28 Jun. 2012 by MartyD

3.0 out of 5 stars I Love It - BUT......
So why just 3 stars?

The good points: it keeps the sun off; it keeps your head warm; it looks cool and macho.

The bad points: it ISN'T waterproof (I have two and even moderate rain takes only a short time to drip down inside); while it keeps the sun off it also keeps your head warm, even when you'd rather it kept you cool (literally rather than...
Published 10 months ago by Ardent Bibliophile

5.0 out of 5 stars The tip-top-tastic, 'Tarp' hat., 28 Jun. 2012
Leather hats went white with sweat (that they induced upon their owner's head) and suffered quite badly in the rain and were uncomfortably heavy. Material hats, though cool and light, absorbed as much rain as sweat and the thought of wearing a `moist' hat didn't really appeal to me. As for suede hats, well all I can say is my wife lives in constant fear of it turning into a chamois cloth at the slightest sign of rain.
It was pure chance, that I discovered this company on Amazon, and decided that as the price of a hat, equated to less than a round of drinks after a meeting, decided to have a punt.
I made the mistake of placing the order over the jubilee weekend, so suffered at the hand of the erratic postal service. To their credit Ana at Amazonas was more than helpful in tracking down the package and always promptly answered my queries and waylaid my concerns. I have to admit it was worth the wait, well packaged, extraordinarily light and totally without peer, my tarp hat arrived.
I have worn this item through a variety of different weather fronts. Bright hot sunny days; the hat provides light weight, shade that didn't make my head run with sweat. Thanks to the British weather, I wore the next day, in torrential rain, the tarp hat now comes into its element, it becomes stiffer and it seemed even more water resistant and with the strategic elastic insert, fairly impervious to gusts of wind (handy).
More importantly, it's different, not your standard `run of the mill' hat, but a hat that provokes a conversation, a hat that I will be buying again.......more than likely over the next week or so, as my wife has demanded one and my fellow conscripts have now revealed that their birthdays are due; soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, my teenage son thinks I am "cool" !!, 30 April 2012
I was looking around for a Tilley hat when I spotted these hats for sale. I liked the idea of a hat with a story, and decided that a hat made from used lorry tarpaulin that had seen thousands of dusty miles on the roads of Brazil was a great idea. I sent off for one the other day, and it arrived very quickly. It is even better than the photos suggest, very well made, but with a lovely patina of use that makes it "very cool". I am 54, and my students were very impressed with it, as was my teenage son. When you get to this age very few items of clothing you wear ever get that badge of distinction.
I recommend this hat to you. It is very similar to the popular Australian leather hats, but much lighter of course, and can cope with being sat on etc. The tarp is stiff enough to take a nice shape, and the worn look makes it look brilliant. It has a nice wide brim to keep the sun off, and when it rains the tarp seems to become stiffer and more waterproof. It has two nice large air holes each side, with brass grommets, to keep your head cool.
I am delighted with this hat, and I know you will be too.
Mine will be used a lot when I take my home made canoe down the river!
By the way, I was astonished how well it suited my wife too, I hope she doesn't take a fancy to it, or I will have to buy another one!
John

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect hat,, 10 July 2013
fits perfectly and very cool, all my mates want one. Suppliers were magnificent. I got the baseball cap for a family member, and thanks to the post office arrived damaged. Suppliers were brilliant, and changed it. Can't fault them. Wore the hat for the whole of the Glastonbury Festival, It kept my head cool, and face shaded, So comfortable. Brilliant. The character of this hat is superb. and its a great talking point.
I'm proud that I can support the makers, and do my recycling bit. It looks the part, and does the job. If you're reading this, and haven't bought one... Why not?

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the unique styling, 7 Mar. 2013
Ordered on Friday, arrived wednesday. Looks great and looking forward to wearing it.
My only criticism at this point is the sizing. My hat size is 6 7/8ths and they only do a 7 so its a tiny bit to large but some extra material stitched inside the headband will easily cure that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and practical, 24 Mar. 2014
With these hats being made from recycled tarpaulin every hat is unique. The hat I received had a couple of patches on it but these do not detract from its looks, in fact i think they enhance it. The use of a wired brim allows for you to customise the brim easily to suit yourself. Whilst moderately waterproof I have used a waterproofing spay on the hat to cope with the extremely wet weather we have had over the past few months. I am looking forward to wearing the hat to give some shade during a hot summer when it will still look as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars hat, 29 Jun. 2013
really really really really really happy with the Amazonas Brazilian Tarp Hat, its just what i needed, packaging was excellent for the contents it was delivered within the time scales advised

4.0 out of 5 stars Tarp hat, 18 Aug. 2012
Bought one of these recently to replace a wide brimmed hat sadly worn out. Reasons for a wide brimmed hat are to keep the sun out of my eyes the rain of my hearing aids and the midgies out of my hair! Impressed by the reviewer who had worn his in sun and rain. Unfortunately mine didn't prove to be waterproof and I had to proof it myself (No big deal) As the company says; - each hat is unique so presumably whether or not it is waterproof will depend on what has happened to the tarp before it became a hat. Best not to count on it being waterproof but it is a great hat light .and tough

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hat, Great Company., 7 Jun. 2012
My wife and I were looking for wide brim hats that we wouldn't get too "precious" about and found the Tarp hat. Perfect for what we wanted. Great service, great product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good (prompt) service, 12 Aug. 2014
Have now used this "in sunshine & in rain". Good (prompt) service, good product. I used an old boot-lace as a chin-strap, worked fine & saved a bit of cash. I thought that the patches might be "over egging" somewhat but, on carefull inspection, found they each covered a (slight flaw in the underlying material.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, great hat, 4 Nov. 2013
This hat is exactly what was descibed and what I expected. Great style, you can adjust the shape yourself, perfect protection against the sun and the rain.
Mine is in the car attached via the chin strap to the headrest of my driver seat. Never now when you might need a good hat!