4.0 out of 5 stars A very short book, amusing and a little strange
Published 13 months ago by H. M. Sykes

3.0 out of 5 stars is that it?
I was just getting into it and it was over!
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Published 8 months ago by jharben

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A very short book, amusing and a little strange, 3 Jan. 2014
I had always wondered what it was all about. People use the term Walter Mitty when they want to describe someone who thinks he is someone different to the reality of what and who he is. Yes, now I understand but the personality change is not Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde it is more in the daydreaming that is something that most of us do in some way. In this it is quite clever as it draws attention to our own faults and reveals a side of human nature that we may not have noticed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tribute to the trapped imagination, 20 April 2014
I adore this classic short story. It packs more into a few pages that many longer books. It speaks to men now emasculated by their role in life, but who secretly dream of being the hero.
Brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Deceptive contents but worth a look, 18 Mar. 2014
there is something deceptive about this book: it's title. Only 5 of the 112 pages is actually the story of Walter Mitty. This is a book of short stories and therefore a little difficult to describe. But I will try.

James Thurber looks at some really interesting parts of human existence: our strange phrases, the odd thoughts that might pass through our minds, the stuff we tell each other about our days, and our darkest thoughts at the worse times in life. To call this dark comedy is perhaps too simple a category, but it is comedic in parts and I would recommend it, particularly to those who might take inspiration and make millions like those in Hollywood already have.

4.0 out of 5 stars A secret life, uncovered, 10 Nov. 2014
This was a very quick but interesting story, the story proves you can never fully know someone, especially if they have a secret life!
The author done a wonderful job of bringing daydreams to reality, I truly felt I was right in the action and then a few seconds later I would realise it's all the beautiful work of our imagination.
I hope this review has helped you, can you please rate it positively if you liked it as it really means a lot to me, Many Thanks for reading:)
This book was free on Audible

3.0 out of 5 stars is that it?, 12 Jun. 2014
I was just getting into it and it was over!
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten

1.0 out of 5 stars Walter Mitty, 20 May 2014
Heard about this character and thought it was a classic. I quickly realised that it was not for me. Never mind.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me I'm afraid, 23 April 2014
Not at all impressed. Heard about the film coming out so thought I'd give the book a try. Wish I hadn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but a good read, 17 April 2014
Dave (Tywyn, Wales) - See all my reviews
This is a very short book - and I bought it after watching the film. If you're expecting it to be anything like the film at all you'll be disappointed! The only similarities is the day dreaming part - but it's funny nonetheless and a good read for a train journey!

2.0 out of 5 stars WALTER MITTY, 11 April 2014
Grant (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
James Thurber's seminal story is about day-dreaming. It isn't funny any more. Billy Liar,for example, superseded it. Ben Stiller's film is almost nothing like the original.

2.0 out of 5 stars So much potential. .., 6 Feb. 2014
Disappointingly short. You could probably fit the whole text into this review. 50p was over-charging! Shame...as it has potential to be so much more.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›