5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!
Published 6 months ago by Anthony Richardson

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!
It is amazing how people's opinions vary! I would say if you saw this on TV why on earth would you want to buy it? And if you didn't see it on TV, don't waste your money!
Published 5 months ago by Ann Turner

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD] (DVD)
Please ignore those who have compared it to the brilliant Pride and Prejudice adaptation by the BBC. It is a totally different creature, but the novel it is based on and this adaptation , are utterly superb. Reviews are people's opinions and are to be used as guidelines, I'm so glad I had ignored the scathing reviews for P.D James's novel and read , and found it excellent. If you choose to indulge, in the novel or this adaptation, you will find both, very worthwhile. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating and well made: a second stay with the Darcys, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD] (DVD)
A decided improvement on the P.D. James novel, which, I felt, was slightly hamstrung by its consciously being a grateful follower-on to a brilliant original. I didn't find in the book the spark and intensity that, mercifully, the scriptwriter found for this TV recreation. Perhaps this was because the TV show benefitted from a visual grammar well known to its audience, and therefore easier for the scriptwriter to latch onto than it was for James to channel Austen's unique writing style.

I thought the casting and acting were all terrific: I'd enjoyed Matthew Goode in "Leap Year", and his Wickham was the man I'd always wanted to see in previous Pride & Prejudice adaptations, but never did: a truly handsome, likeable rascal. (Otherwise, how could the sensible, lively Lizzie have possibly been so blinded by him?) Nicely done. Matthew Rhys makes a really effective Darcy in a very short space of time, despite his character in the P.D. James book seeming to me really quite shadowy. They seem to have beefed up his speaking part for the TV show and brought him into closer perspective, the scriptwriter correctly spotting the opportunity to show Darcy not as Wickham's mortal enemy, but what in fact he was and had ever been - his reluctant friend. I believed in him utterly as the breathing lord and master of a vast estate and tremendous responsibilities, traces of the old awful, implacable self there, but kinder, with Lizzie there to tie him to his humanity - very impressive.

Trevor Eve almost stole the show as Sir Selwyn Hardcastle - he brought the man to life wonderfully from what, again, had seemed in the book very thin material. Likewise Eleanor Tomlinson and Jenna Coleman, who both created likeable and believable characters as Georgiana Darcy and Lydia Wickham respectively. But my best praise goes to Anna Maxwell Martin for her mature, calm, thoughtful Lizzie Darcy, perhaps no longer striding across fields and delighting us with her liveliness, but certainly bringing her own thoughts, and her own principles, to her new, grander life, in a way I hope Austen wouldn't have been ashamed of. Her Lizzie may not sound as though she was cut from the same glass as the really posh, but she exudes her own authority.

The production values were excellent, although I still don't quite "buy" the use of Chatsworth as Pemberley. This house seems to me slightly too showy for the part of the home of a gentleman, albeit a grand one, who is not after all a peer. But still they made exquisite use of its beautiful summer woodlands and gardens to create a sense of place, and of unease and anticipation. I thoroughly enjoyed this series...now I wonder if someone can be persuaded to cast this excellent incarnation of the Pemberley family in another spinoff drama...? The audience is out there, ready and waiting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, 17 Feb 2014
Ann Turner "superann" (Bridgend, South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD] (DVD)
I read the book, and enjoyed it. Pride and Prejudice ic one of my favourite books, and P.D.James is a brilliant author. As I read her book, I frequently forgot that it wasn't Jane Austin, so well did she capture the feeling of the original.
But the TV adaptation was ruined for me by two things - the loud, obtrusive and unnecessary so-called background music, and the dreadful casting. Matthew Rhys has, in my opinion, a silly face, and completely devoid of expression. He did not come across as the strong character that Darcy is. And as for whoever it was who played Elizabeth, words almost fail me! Elizabeth Bennett was a beauty, that actress wasn't even pretty, and showed nothing of the spirit of Elizabeth. I discussed this adaptation with my sister, also a Jane Austin devotee, and she said she gave up after the first episode because it was so awful!

3.0 out of 5 stars works as a period drama but not as a sequel to P&P, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD] (DVD)
As previous reviewers have mentioned this really isn't a sequel to Pride and Prejudice.

Leaving the plot to one side for a moment, the main leads were totally miscast. Anna MM's performance lacks the spirit and energy which are part of Lizzie's character. As for her co star Matthew Rhys he lacks Darcy's passion.

Secondly, the main leads are far too old. Several of the most important scenes from the PandP book are replayed in the drama as flashbacks and unfortunately they just don't work. Lizzie is meant to be about 20 in Pride and Prejudice and since this is meant to take place about 6 years later she is meant to be 26 or so. Anna MM is about 37. Rhys looks like he is meant to be Georgiana's father (she is now about 21) when in Pride and Prejudice he is about 26 so here would be about 32.

Oh and I agree with a previous reviewer as to the wardrobe malfunction. Why is Lizzie wearing the same green dress the whole time?

Having said this one of the most energetic performances came from Jenna Coleman as Lydia. She captured her spoiled character perfectly. I wonder what she would have made of Lizzie?

The plot works quite well as a mystery drama and we see the impact on the Darcy family of Wickams selfish actions.

Overall the acting isn't bad and Trevor Eve gives an excellent performance. I didn't enjoy it as a sequel to Pride and Prejudice but as a stand alone drama whose main characters happen to be called Lizzie and Darcy it works well enough.

It is a pity because had the main leads and possibly Wickam been better cast this could have worked very well. Unfortunately it felt more like a Dickensian drama (yes I know Dickens was Victorian not regency or Georgian) than a sequel to Pride and Prejudice. All of the characters seemed miserable and you really wonder why on earth Darcy and Lizzie got married.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure brilliance, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent drama with really vivid character and incredible acting (especially Anna Maxwell Martin who is, as always, fabulous in her role as Elizabeth Bennet) - a must watch for your winter viewing schedule!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed. :), 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a big fan of Jane Austen, and Pride and Prejudice is an all-time favourite book of mine. I hadn't got round to reading Death Comes to Pemberley before watching the miniseries - possibly a good thing, I don't know - but I thought the BBC1 televisation was excellent, with brilliant performances from an excellent cast, particularly Anna Maxwell Martin (who was also fantastic as Cassandra Austen in Becoming Jane). I will be ordering the DVD, having already twice re-watched the miniseries (iplayer's a wonderful thing!).
If you're a fan of Austen and/or period drama, I'd thoroughly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been a disaster, instead it was a triumph, 29 Dec 2013
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD] (DVD)
When I saw that P D James had written a sequel to "Pride and Prejudice", I must admit, I was sceptical. Perhaps it is a brave author who decides to take on such a classic and make it into something of their own. Brave, or reckless perhaps. Although I have not read the book, I have to admit that if the dramatization is anything to go on, James has done a fantastic job. She has managed to keep the important elements of Austen's classic - the characters have the same traits which Austen gave to them - yet she has also managed to put her own stamp on Elizabeth and Darcy's relationship. What James has managed to create is a period whodunit which is intelligently thought out and put together.
This was definitely one of the highlights this Christmas. I would certainly recommend it. It only makes me wish that I had read the book first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD] (DVD)
Having studied P&P at school this year the story of what happens after the end of Austen's book is, of course, an intriguing question, and this does not disappoint! I was hooked from the beginning! The acting is brilliant - and Elizabeth's distress when Darcy is ignoring her is, in my opinion, very sad, and almost moving.
A must see!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD] (DVD)
This is an absolute gem. Acting and directing excellent. The whole atmosphere created and attention to detail spot on.
Something that can be watched over and over again, very enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected surprise..., 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD] (DVD)
I have never been one for fanfiction, and fully expected this to pale in comparison to the wonderful work of Jane Austen. While not wholly convincing, I was pleasantly surprised that the characters were well-rounded, the story was engaging and the dialogue well-written. I would never mistake this as a Jane Austen story, but I did like it and was not at all bored like I usually find myself at a different author's sequel attempt.

Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD]
Death Comes to Pemberley [DVD] by Daniel Percival (DVD - 2014)
6.10