5.0 out of 5 stars High quality photos from a tiny package
The main reason for choosing the A5000 was the large sensor and excellent handling of the camera in my hand.
The camera produces lovely rich photo's, the kit lens is more then adequate and covers a great range from 24mm wide angle to 75mm.
Published 9 months ago by millionsofpeaches

3.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons
I am basing this review on my initial use of the camera. I am by no means a pro, just a person who loves taking photos and wanted to upgrade from my Canon Ixus 230HS into a supposedly better one. Here are my first impressions:

As I have said, I am no pro and only knows a little about cameras. The first time I tried using Sony a5000, I did not really like the...
Published 1 month ago by chie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality photos from a tiny package, 14 May 2014
millionsofpeaches (st albans, hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony a5000 Digital Camera with SEL-1650 Zoom Lens - Black (20.1MP) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
The flash works fine and is very useful to have built in, rather then a add on, the flipping LCD is adequate and has a shortcut for outdoors use which drastically increases the brightness, making life easier on sunny days, I do wish the LCD was bigger and a higher resolution.
Camera focuses nice and fast and there is no delay or lag in shutter to capture of your subjects.
All in all a excellent little camera that can go everywhere with you and capture DSLR quality images, also a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this camera!, 5 Jan. 2015
Love this camera,i just wanted a camera to depend on for taking pictures on my vacation as opposed to just using my iphone.my only gripe would be the selfie pictures tends to focus on one person instead of giving a clear photo.But mybe thats cause theres some settings that i havent accustomed to yet.Low light pictures are amazing! Better than taking pictures with ANY iphone.battery power is superb as have been said by many people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well rounded camera, 5 Jan. 2015
After buying this camera about 2 weeks ago i still cannot believe the video and photo quality of this camera. It's 20.1 megapixel camera is outstanding. The camera is very easy to set up and the charging kit is small and compact. I rate this SONY camera a 4 out of 5 because it has incredible quality and the video is also amazing. I didnt give it 5 out of 5 for 2 reasons, it does not have a microphone jack so you do not have to use the built in microphone and also you cant add on an extra flash if you need to.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good camera, cannot go wrong for the price, 25 Aug. 2014
Dr. Pekka M. A. Pitkanen "pmapitkanen" (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this camera a few weeks ago. The main reasons for me for buying it were that it was DSLR, the size of the sensor, selfie function, low price and good reviews overall. (I would really have wanted to buy a6000 had it had an LCD screen with a selfie function, I'll probably do that also if such a feature is added to a later version of the camera.) I have found out that, as indicated by others, this camera takes really good photos and is very nicely priced as a DSLR. This said, it is not a perfect camera, not even close to it, hence the four stars. The wifi function works but could be more fluid. One needs to download a special software to sync to smartphone. Also, I found that one often needs a little help from the smartphone, the syncing does not always work entirely automatically. But it works pretty fast once a transfer gets going, and the application is free. While there is a function to upload straight to Facebook from the camera, I found the application, which again is free but has to be downloaded to the camera separately, a little clumsy, and found it way better to first sync to smartphone and then upload from there. The wifi to computer is niggly, it was not easy to make it work, and even then I found the USB mode to work more easily. I thought the free Sony PlayMemories application on a computer was really nice, enabling a good arrangement and easy view of photos, especially by date taken. As for handling, it takes a bit of time to get used to the control buttons on the camera, and it would in my view be better if the camera had a touchscreen, however, buttons are also acceptable in practice. The menu system however makes it a bit difficult to find differing items on the menu, and certainly one cannot normally do this fast in case something that one wants to capture comes up quickly. But the intelligent auto works very well in my view and I have found myself not using the semi auto and manual functions all that often just yet. The zoom range on the supplied SEL1650 lense is quite nice in practice in my view. The camera normally responds and focuses quickly and then takes a photo instantaneously, apparently save if there is very much shake so that it cannot take a decent photo. I did not try to take video yet nor did I try the continuous shooting mode but have taken more than 500 photos at the time of writing this review. I just had the camera with me for a short trip to the continent and found it nicely portable, however, one needs a small separate bag, it cannot go in a jacket pocket, at least not so for me. The main issue is the weight of the SEL1650 lense, even if the lense is very compact when in off position. In this context, nevertheless, the small size sometimes makes handling a little difficult initially, but this gets better after one gets used to the camera. The lack of viewfinder is another minus, but the LCD brightness setting for sunny days is by and large quite adequate for everyday shooting. The pop up flash is handy, with possibly a mild tendency to slight overexposure at times as others have pointed out. The selfie function is in my view very good with the 16mm wide angle. To sum up, I find the camera with the supplied SEL1650 lense a really nice buy for £300 (price at the time of purchase) and would say that one cannot go much wrong getting one of these as a small handy DSLR camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars i am in love!!, 19 Feb. 2015
What a great little camera! Its compact, light and easy to use. Takes good quality pictures. Not brilliant in dark settings and flash makes pictures too bright but for this price its still good enough. I bought it to take pictures of my baby and it does the job brilliantly. If you are taking it on the tour or holiday do buy a spare battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy indeed, 3 Jan. 2015
This is my first 'proper' camera, and so far I am really impressed. It has been so easy to take pictures that are so much better than i have been able to achieve in the past (I was using an iPhone so not surprising), but I have been blown away by how crisp and impressive my photos have been.

The camera has been very easy to navigate and explore. There are helpful hints and descriptions about each of the settings available. The auto settings seem very good, and the shooting modes seem to make it easy to explore each setting in turn before I attempt to go for the full manual settings.

I was a little worried that it may be difficult to get into, but I am happy to say that the camera is not intimidating at all, and I would recommend this camera wholeheartedly to anyone who, like me, is starting to get into photography, or just someone who wants a high class point and shoot.

Stylish, small and light, easy to use, great value for money, can't wait to master it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems a very good camera at a very reasonable £233 and I look ..., 5 Jan. 2015
Seems a very good camera at a very reasonable £233 and I look forward to confirming this once have used it more. The only adverse comment is that the pop- up flash unit appears not to be very robust. The flash has to be manually pushed back in again and I am concerned that it will bend or become out of alignment after time. Obviously one needs to be very careful as it folds back into the camera rather that it just being pushed straight down. Also, because the flash is very small (but powerful), I imagine that it might be quite easy to forget to close it after shooting. This could be disasterous if it is put into a pocket or case without thinking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice compact raw camera, 6 Jan. 2015
I bought this camera as I was looking for a decent, high quality, raw camera with a wide lens without going for a DSLR. The flip around screen is great, the image quality for the price point is impressive. I like that there's the option to go full manual, focus & exposure wise or just use one of the intelligent presets if you're in a hurry.

My 1 star mark-down is because when the lens is fully wide, there is a fair amount of vignetting, more than I'd like. However all of the benefits outweigh this for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camera I've ever had., 20 Feb. 2015
I love this camera. I'm studying abroad and it was the perfect camera for all of trips around Europe. It's small enough to fit in my purse but strong enough to take awesome pictures of the beautiful sights I've been seeing. I also love the wifi features that allows me to upload photos to my smartphone and to my computer! It's awesome and totally worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for its type, 26 Feb. 2015
This has been my first 'real' camera, and in that context I cannot have wished for much better: the camera's only real fault is its lack of a manual viewfinder - even the best LCD screens struggle to be of use in strong sunlight. But as middle-ground cameras go, this is excellent, and has done all I've wished.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›