on 20 January 2014
I have loved every single one of the modern witch, witch light and now witch central series, but this book is by far the best yet. It was full of real emotional twists and turns, health with by provide lashings of hope and some truly deep moments. I rarely cry when reading, I regularly laugh but this book had so much of both and I was sobbing by the end. YOU NEED TO READ THIS.
on 21 January 2014
I love the whole series - was so pleased to discover this relatively new release, devoured it in a day - and I'm packing to move house - shhh don't tell my husband. I laughed, I cried - I want to go to Berkley & Nova Scotia - I want to know all the characters.
My love of these books surprises me - I thought I was only interested in Urban Fantasy/paranormal and this series has opened up other styles - great as I was running out of quality & sticking to a small handful of authors. Debora Geary is most definitely one of my top authors! Can't wait for the next one!
on 17 January 2014
She's done it again !! A lovely story
This one is darker than the others and touches on a very real cause for sadness in people's lives.
It's the sign of an excellent story teller when the reader is completely immersed in the lives of these fictional characters.
Witches ? of course they don't exist, but if there's a place like the town where Ms Geary has them living, then I'm contacting the Estate Agent (also a witch)
So Witches? maybe they do exist.
Anyway, 5 stars again - when's the next one due?
on 27 December 2013
I'm a long time follower of Debora and all the Witches at Witch Central and I love the magic heavy books a lot but this story is of a different type of magic, one that we can all actually perform, the magic of love and trust. (won't stop me waiting for my active powers to kick in though ;) )
It takes you up and down, you'll be smiling one moment and sad the next but it's so very worth it.
on 27 December 2013
Jamie and Nat have a dream of a small boy building a snowman - in this latest book from Debora Geary we meet all our favourite characters from Witch Central as they prepare for the winter solstice and follow the pain and sorrow of Nat in search of her dream! Another brilliant story that I could not put down
on 1 February 2014
I made the mistake of trying to start reading this book at work during my lunchbreak and almost immediately regretted it! NOT because it was a bad book - quite the opposite, within the first 'page' or two I was having to hide the fact I was on the edge of tears from my workmates!!! This book focuses on Nat, the Yogini (yoga teacher) who in the other books is more of a side character.

Her emotional upheaval as they search for the son promised in her husband's vision is extremely delicately and heartbreakingly portrayed, as is the effect it has on the whole Sullivan/witch community in which she lives.

Don't get me wrong there are a lot of happy moments too - especially when young powerful wizards are trying to create a moving, firebreathing, workable holographic dragon puppet for his cousin and uncle, and others.

The crystal ball also gets a bit more of a storyline in this book and its 'personality' starts shining through.

I couldn't put this book down and spent more time trying to hide the fact I was on the verge of laughter and crying on public transport that any one woman should be put through!!! (Mind you, I should be used to it by now, all her books do that to me!)

If you have never read another one of Debora Geary's books - read this one and I guarantee by the end, you'll have brought all the others. Just make sure you have a tissue with you at the time.
on 13 January 2014
Wow Wow Wow I could not put this book down. The heartache of Nat & Jamie and the support of their friends. This had it all - tears, happiness and fun. The twists and turns keep you reading.
on 21 January 2014
I have now read all of Debora Geary's books revolving around the Witch Central characters, and I have to say I love them all and have recommended them to friends who also love them. I started reading them by accident, when I was without anything to read on my kindle and wanted something cheap; I now wait with impatience for each new book!

I have laughed and cried my way through them, and hope that there are many more to come!
on 13 November 2014
I wish I had the words to explain how I'm feeling right now! For some reason, unbeknownst to me, I have become completely, totally and utterly enchanted by the Witch Central series. Let me reiterate from my review of book one, this is no epic tale, no War and Peace, no Wuthering Heights and yet... and yet these stories have me in their thrall. At one point (and trust me, if you're going to read An Unlikely Witch, you WILL need tissues) I truly believed my heart was going to break. I couldn't see my way out of the pain that Ms Geary had woven for her characters and had so successfully ensnared me with. Even know I'm taking a few deep breaths.
I have fallen, head over heels, in love with each and every character. From the youngest witchling to the eldest matriarch. I love the gentle souls and the fiercest hearts. I have been blown away, pulled to pieces and carefully, beautifully put back together again.
If you want to read about love and laughter, fear and pain, hope and happiness, second chances and new beginnings and magic, always, always magic, the stuff that each of us is capable of whether we're a witch or not, then read Witch Central. Now. Go on. What are you waiting for?
on 10 March 2014
(This is my review off goodreads from last December 2013 - under name Phoenix)

....I have just not a few seconds ago put the book down and my goddess it was wonderful to read! I, as usual, lost myself in Witch Central with all familiar characters ready to unveil a new story and it did not disappoint!

It had me giggling in parts, my heart breaking in others, my eyes tearing up in some and just sheer joy by the time I reached the end! It shows magic works in unexpected ways - even when you have a powerhouse of witches behind it....

Yes this is a magickal community and yes they are powerful but one thing is clear - Love is the most powerful magic of all in their community and Deborah writes that moral beautifully! Shall happily re-read all the books whilst I await the next instalment of this spectacular series!

Side Note: I love the crystal ball - it is definitely part of the Witch Central Family!