5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in cooking for everyone
Published 10 months ago by TDC

2.0 out of 5 stars is it just me or I couldn't decide on a single recipe
is it just me or I couldn't decide on a single recipe to prepare last week end,and i tried hard,they seem to use a lot of ingredients and the recipes seem to involve a bit of "work"
It is the first paleo book I purchased and I don't think I will give another one a go!
I just got excited after purchasing Lee Holmes book and thought I would go a step further,maybe...
Published 8 months ago by andrea

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A lesson in cooking for everyone, 5 Nov 2013
I waited very impatiently for my copy of Well Fed 2 to arrive -- I was hearing reviews and reports of it from the US long (well, 3 weeks) before it came to the UK. I knew, before I even received the book, which recipes I wanted to try first. When I finally got the book in the post, I spent my lunch break marking the recipes I wanted to try first...which ended up with me marking almost every single recipe! After my initial frenzy I sat down and read the whole thing cover to cover and found that there is a lot of information in there apart from just the recipes. Useful things like 'How to be a Paleo Social Butterfly', 'Emotional Appetite vs. True Hunger' (especially the 'set a timer' idea!) and 'Always in my Kitchen'. Other useful sections that are not really recipes are suggestions on what to put on eggs, burgers and broccoli -- inspiring ideas on how to spice up average meals.

What I find best about this book is that a lot of the recipes are actually really instinctive, and the number of times I caught myself thinking 'why didn't I think of that?!' is quite astounding (highlights include the suggestion of having soup for breakfast: I always struggle to get enough veg into my morning and this is the solution!). Tied into that is the encouragement to make the recipes your own. This is something I learnt from the first Well Fed, and I've really noticed a change in my cooking habits. I like following a recipe, but I'm much better now at substituting, leaving out, experimenting. You'll see what I mean when you read my detailed review of individual recipes below!

I only have Well Fed in Kindle version and I did toy with the idea of getting only that again, but the book version is far more beautiful -- the photography is lovely, making the food look inviting and inspiring. There is space to write notes, and the index is extremely detailed, making finding the recipe you want really easy (for instance, BBQ Beef Waffle Sandwich is listed under 'American Cuisine', 'Beef, Stew Meat', 'Coconut Aminos', 'Slow Cooker' and 'Sweet Potato', as well as having an entry of its own). Best of all, once you've bought the book, you can get a PDF version of it for 69p, all of which goes to charity. So you get best of both worlds anyway -- on the go while shopping and planning meals, and in the kitchen to get grubby, earmarked and well used.

Slightly off-putting to some readers might be the long list of ingredients in some of the recipes. It can be quite daunting, but once you stock up you will find yourself using the spices or sauces again and again. Melissa doesn't go into as much detail about the Weekly Cookup as she did in Well Fed (probably assuming her readers have the first book too) but I found that this has really revolutionised my whole week as it means I'm a lot less worried about what and where I'm going to eat, knowing that I've got everything planned out and prepared. Because she has suggestions on what goes with what in her book, you can easily work out what can be made in bulk and then used and re-used in any number of different ways for a whole week.

Over the last few days I spent a couple of evenings trying out a number of different recipes:
- Coconut cauliflower rice. I've made cauliflower rice before, and even done a coconut version using coconut shreds. I'd never thought to actually cook the cauliflower in coconut milk though, assuming it would go mushy I suppose. Well Melissa has it bang on when she says 'Warning: This will look like wet, mushy oatmeal for a while, and you will be convinced it's ruined' -- I knew to ignore my worries, and it turned out delicious. I made a paleo version of nasi lemak, a Malaysian breakfast staple which includes coconut rice and it was delicious -- I'd assume I wouldn't be able to eat too often again! Now I'm in danger of making this an everyday food item! I modified it by adding pandan leaves and slices of fresh ginger while it was bubbling in the coconut milk, as per a proper Malaysian coconut rice, and a handful of coconut shreds at the end for added coconuttyness.

- Olive oil mayo: to be fair I had made this a number of times before using the recipe on the clothes make the girl website. However, what's great in this book is there is even more detail on OTHER dips and sauces you can make using the mayo as a base -- from one sauce the world is your oyster, and Melissa shows us how. I used apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice as I found I prefer the taste.

- Meatballs: There are so many different varieties in this book. Meatballs are essential for me as something to go in the freezer for easy access later in the week so I was delighted to find all the different variations on the same theme. I ate them with tahini sauce, BBQ sauce, creamy Italian dressing...basically these go with any sauce in the book!

- Better Butter: This is, quite simply, very yummy. I used it as the oil for cooking the onions in the Courgette soup and it gave it an amazing subtle spicy flavour. And then I licked the spoon I'd used to scoop up the butter. Nom.

- BBQ sauce: I wasn't wild about this immediately after I made it (and there's a huge quantity!) but it worked REALLY well in the BBQ beef waffle sandwich. I think it will be a good thing to have in the fridge for adding to meat generally. I added more applesauce because I thought it could be a tad sweeter.

- BBQ Beef "Waffle" Sandwich: I was overjoyed to find that there were a few slow cooker recipes in Well Fed 2 (I think the first Well Fed didn't have any), and this was one of them. The house smelt amazing the next morning -- like chorizo. This recipe is a bit of a faff (I had to start off by making the BBQ sauce, which involved making applesauce first, and should have involved making sunflower butter except I didn't have time so I just used tahini instead) but it's delicious. I don't have a waffle iron so I wrote a message to Melissa on Facebook to ask whether a frying pan would work and she got back really promptly with some suggestions which worked well. It's really awesome to know that she personally responded to my question! I had this for lunch the next day and it was even better than the first time.

- Italian pork roast: I often cook a pork shoulder in the slow cooker but I've been thinking about trying a new recipe for a while and this was great. The juice that comes out of the pork is delectable, and I can see the leftovers working really well with the BBQ sauce.

- Balsamic-Grilled Butternut Squash: This was a very straightforward recipe, with delicious results.

- Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup: Melissa calls this 'A healthy hug in a bowl' (or in my case, mug) and it really is that. It's a deliciously warming start to the morning, a much welcome substitution for porridge.

One of the downsides I found after completing my first Whole30 was I found I'd lost interest in food a little bit. And this is coming from someone who was obsessed with eating well -- a self-confessed foodie. Judging from the speed and enjoyment with which I wolfed down the leftover BBQ Beef Waffle Sandwich for lunch today, I'd say I'm over that. I can honestly say that, with Melissa's help, I am well and truly Well Fed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book!, 20 Nov 2013
Well Fed 2 is a brilliant treasure trove of paleo recipes. There are beautiful colour photographs of each dish, clear instructions and tips on adapting recipes, suitable side dishes and delicious combinations. This book should be on every paleo eater's shelf! If you aren't yet convinced of the paleo way, but want to radically improve your health, this book will convince you that healthy can be delicious! Great work, Melissa. I love it x

5.0 out of 5 stars changed my life, 13 Dec 2013
I have dropped weight and still enjoying my food. The reciepes have common spices and can varied quite easily (gie you instructions). If you don't want to break the bank, but eat well this is a great book. The key is planning with paleo!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lip smacking food, 12 Mar 2014
Overall I like some recipes, love others and wonder a bit about one or two. A steak recipe that is just, well, a steak?

I have cooked the pina colada chicken several times, it's tasty and unusual. I tried the fishcakes, they were excellent. I made the Moroccan Chicken and apricot burger, exceeded my expectations. The instructions are easy to follow and I like the suggestions for chopping the ingredients around and substituting different meats etc.

I've had a julienne cutter for years. I have now used it, courgette noodles, amazing and so simple.

It isn't gourmet food but there is a big variety and enough to keep your paleo menu afloat for weeks.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars bigger and better than number 1, 31 Dec 2013
If there is one downfall to this book its that thereare too many meals that look so good you dont know where to start. Nicely written in a friendly manner and they highlight how to change a recipe from say french to middle eastern by changing a few herbs and spices. If you are just introducing yourself into paleo I would recommend well fed 1 its shorter and a bit simpler but definitely check iut this boook once you've mastered number 1.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book, 31 Mar 2014
A great selection of recipes plus some basics from which to riff.

Great for experienced Paleo-ers and those new to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent recipies, easy to follow, 14 Feb 2014
The recipes in this book are great, the intro is a bit too long and preachy, but easy to ignore!

Really recommend anyone on a low carb diet to try this out.
Note that the recipes are in US measurements, but there are conversion tables at the back of the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmmm!, 6 Nov 2013
Loads of enticing paleo dishes to make! I love Melissa J's style of cooking, writing and humour! I pre-ordered and got a great deal on the book...and the book came earlier than expected! Haven't made anything from the book yet as we're having our kitchen remodeled. However, I do own a copy of her first cookbook Well Fed 1 and have made several of the dishes. I love the use of spices. Delicious! And paleo! My kind of eats!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply The Best !, 10 Mar 2014
The most easily understood, simple, informative, exciting book full of mouthwatering recipes! I am so happy to have found the author's blog and discovered this book. It is for everyone, not just paleo people.

The spice blends, the sauces and mayo recipies use ingredients that are still easily available in the UK even though the author is from USA.

We all need to ditch the dairy, give up the grain and shun the sugar and this book is an inspirational guide how to do it without feeling deprived. So many fantastic bbq recipes, perfect for indoor cooking and outdoors. Amazing tips on new ways to cook and use vegetables too !

Just have a look inside and buy it, you won't regret it

5.0 out of 5 stars great recipes in this book, 7 Mar 2014
I really like to eat and on the whole take a paleo approach to my diet.

This book teaches you how to make your own mayo (most have sugar in them, who knew?) as well as lots of ideas for cooking vegetables that I particularly like.

I've cooked loads of stuff from it and from well fed 1 too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›